From Russia With Love - Spring into Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

i think she can do as much as she want but only the 2 best b-competition results of one season are counting for world standings in this season
    . so if she wins triglav she gets 250 points, she could have one more b-competition this season, but I think most of the b-competitions are done.

next season she can do b-competitions too and in the best way win both, earning 500 points (250+250).

but maybe she is lucky as zhiganshina/gaszi who have done a hell of b-competitions few years ago (where they got no grand prix and international assignment) and they remained in judges mind and got positive scores.

2. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

OK, so without GP events and Europeans and Worlds Gosviani can have max 500 points per season, through winning two B competitions.

So what about, let's say Pogorilaya, if she isn't sent to Europeans and Worlds, how else can she make up the points? (I am sorry for my lack of knowledge, if I knew where to find it, I would read it for myself, but because I don't know, I have to ask... ) How much can one earn from Worlds? and from Europeans? And from GP events? I am just wondering how much disadvantage it may be to Pogorilaya to perhaps have just one GP event instead of two, and not have Europeans and Worlds...

It seems to me like a closed circle - without having two GPs it may be hard to get high on Wolrd ranking list, but without being high on Wolrd ranking list you don't get two GPs...how can one work their way through, if they come from skating Federation that have many skaters and can't send all of them on GPs?

3. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Nikol Gosviani won Mentor Nestle Cup in January, but as a Junior, which doesn't earn ISU Ranking points. The last International B with a Senior Lady event is next week, Gardena Spring Trophy. But the entry deadline has long since passed.

Nikol is only 16, so she is still eligible for the JGP. If she medals at two JGP events, makes it to the JGPF and medals there, that would give her over 500 points, and she could still earn more points by competing at two Senior B internationals (the ban on junior/senior events doesn't kick in until the 2014-2015 season).

Even if she did compete in one GP event, she'd be unlikely to medal, so she'd earn less points than winning a JGP event. She'd still have to do two B events to add more points.

4. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

to answer your questions about the points, it's detailed listed here, for juniors and seniors

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-130267-131575-nav-list,00.html

read the isu communication 1629

on page 5 the points are listed.

enjoy :D

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  5. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

6. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

she is leading in the SP of Trianglav Trophy hold this week. Tomorrow the free skate. If she win, she get the 250 points for this event

7. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

She's age eligible for JGP, but can she do that in 13-14 after competing at Euros in 12-13? I'm sure this question has been answered a million times since the rule change. Sorry - I can't keep it straight!

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I think she can. The rules will change after Olympics, not before. The problem is not that she can't; the problem is that Russian Federation may not send her to JGP. They have far too many young Russian girls coming just to the age eligible for JGP. Sakhanovitch, Medvedeva, Ogoreltseva, Sotskova, Proklova... I think Russian juniors have more competition for JGP places among themselves than Russian seniors. (and that's assuming that Pogorilaya and Radionova will move to the senior GP)

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  9. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I know, I know. I more meant I hope she gets a host spot or something. I know she doesn't have great odds to get an event other ways. And Leonova's scores are still higher, and obviously the World Standings where she did so well the season before, however, I feel Leonova's marks this season were generous and too high for the way she was skating and think she just got reputation scoring because she won World Silver. Gosviani meanwhile had no international reputation so given that, her scores are pretty promising. I know Leonova will likely get 2 GPs regardless of doing so poorly this season because of all that I just mentioned, and I know except for a host spot there isn't much that can be done to change the outcome of the GP selection anyways. I more just hope we get to see Nikol at COR at least. I think there is a good chance she could get the host pick too, with Shelepen gone, Korobeynikova not having done very well this season, Biryukova being constantly injured and really not skating well at any events during the season, Agafonova not having made Nationals and only having one international this season, etc. It may depend on Radionova and Pogorilaya and what they decide in regards to GP/JGP.

Also as to whoever was asking about Pogorilaya's WS, she actually picked up quite a fair bit of points from her 3rd and 1st places on the JGP, then 3rd at JGPF and JW. So next season she could still build up her standing more if she stays on the JGP, and if she moves up to the GP, she may only get 1 event but I think there is a chance she could get 2, especially b/c if she does move up she'd probably be one of the favorites for a host pick with her high international scores and placement at Russian Nats (everyone else who has scored higher at ISU events or placed higher at Nationals and is old enough for the GP is fairly certain to get 2 GPs and thus not need a host spot), and regardless of 2 or 1 GPs, the Fed would likely send her to some B competitions in the fall like they did with Shelepen, Korobeynikova, Zazeeva, and even Sotnikova this season.

10. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Senior Men's results at the Triglav Trophy:

1 Artur GACHINSKIY RUS 210.15 1 1
    2 Abzal RAKIMGALIYEV KAZ 182.20 2 2
    3 Daisuke MURAKAMI JPN 177.43 3 3
    4 Akio SASAKI JPN 172.45 4 4
    5 Osman AKG�N TUR 151.33 5 5
    6 Maurizio ZANDRON ITA 147.81 6 6
    7 Severin KIEFER AUT 139.84 7 7
    8 Kevin ALVES BRA 134.28 9 8
    9 Manuel KOLL AUT 126.14 8 9
    10 Josip GLUHAK CRO 114.40 10 10
    11 Fabriczio CARRILLO MEX 110.35 11 11

Artur's FS scored 138.51 (TES 71.67, PCS 66.84).

His protocol: 4T (+GOE), 3A-2T (+), 3A (+), 3Lz (0), FCSp4 (0), 3F(e) (-), StSq3 (+), 3Lo (+), 2A-2A-SEQ (+), 1T (-), CSSp2 (0), ChSt1 (+), CCoSp3 (+).

I'm not concerned about the spins or steps at this point, they weren't the major problem. I'm THRILLED that he landed a quad and two 3As in the LP and all of his other jumps (except the mystery 1T - is that a popped 4T?). I'm feeling very bright and happy right now! I know it's only a little event (does it even count as a Senior B?), but this is the sort of building block that he can use to get ready for next season.

11. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Any videos of his skates? I think that he is so promising and hope that he does amazing next season!

12. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Very good building block. Hopefully he can continue upward. The 1t had to be 3T because he's done 3t solo jumps that late.

13. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Triglav Trophy other results (no videos have surfaced yet):

Sr. Gold: Nikol Gosviani 156.72, 98.99 FS - 3F+3T, 3Lo, 2S, 3Lz+2T, 3F fall, 3T+2T (-1.4)
    Sr. Bronze: Polina Agafonova 145.04, 94.55 FS - 3Lz< (-1.87), 3S+3T< (-0.47), 3F(e)<<(-0.9), 2A, 2A, 3S+2T, 3T+2T

Jr. Gold: Elena Radionova 172.77, 110.43 FS - 2Lz+3T, 3F, 3F+1Lo<(half loop)+3S< (-1.4), 3Lz, 2A, 2A, 3Lo+2T
    Jr. Gold: Alexander Petrov 192.97, 126.41 FS - 3A, 3A+2T, 3Lz+3T, 3Lz, 3F(e), 2S+2T+2Lo, 2A, 2Lo

14. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Congrats to Artur to not have a free program meltdown....it's progress, and progress in actual competition, even if it is a minor event (yes, I think it does count as a Senior B). I would think that the mystery 1T is a popped 3T rather than quad, based on it looking to be the last jump of the program....I don't think he would be putting a 4T that late.

15. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Good for Artur! I hope this is the beginning of his comeback.

16. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

they can't move up. The new rool had only one exception for Lipinskaya, to allow her to get to seniors experience before Olympics

17. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Pogorilaya is old enough for all senior competitions next season, so I think she can move up. She turns 15 in one week (DOB: 04/09/1998), so that's well before the July 1st deadline, so if she is old enough for Euros, Olympics, Worlds, she will also be old enough for senior GP. Radionova will not be old enough for senior ISU championships next season, but I thought the rule making the age cutoff the same for the GP and ISU championships wasn't going into effect until after the Olympic season? Either way, Pogorilaya is unaffected by age, though she might be on the JGP again anyways, but if she is, it would not be because of age restrictions.

Happy for Nikol and Artur, also nice to see them land the big jumps. How come Nikol does not do 3f-3t in her SP? It seems as though she is quite solid with that combo this season, and it would get her more points in the SP. Are her 3lz and 3lo unstable or something?

18. risto1803

risto1803 Active Member

There is an information on Verner's forum that Stolbova/Klimov left Velkova. It looks like the want to go to Moser as well.

19. misskarne

For those more mathematically-minded people, how far out of the WR list is Artur? If he gets 250 points from this event (I think that's what I understood from the Gosviani talk upthread), is that going to bring him further up the list? If he did another Senior B or two before the end of the season, could he possibly wriggle his way back into the top 24 or is he totally screwed in that regard?

20. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

At least 92 points. His adjusted total would be 1359, and Nan Song has 1451, and that's if no one passed Song in the last senior B's. Gachinski would need to compete in another Senior B and place Top 5 to be guaranteed a GP spot.

I think the chances of him not being chosen are very small, though, because there are more spots than the exact number guaranteed: of 60 spots, 24 are guaranteed to the Top 12 at Worlds, who are 12 of the Top 24 SB, and #24 Chen isn't age-eligible. Only two spots are guaranteed to Top 24 WS who didn't also make Top 24 SB, and even if no host nations chosen their own skaters for their events, i.e., no Aaron, Dornbush, Miner, Abbott, Brown, or Farris for SA, no Chan or Reynolds for SC, no Yan or Song for CoC, no Amodio or Joubert for TEB, no Menshov or Kovtun for RC, and no Hanyu, Machida, Kozuka, Mura, Machida, Oda, or Takahashi for NHK, there would still be five spots of sixty left, if each skater got exactly what was guaranteed. Even if Lysacek took the "comeback skater" clause, there would still be three extras.

ETA: There are only three skaters in the Top 24 SB list who aren't from a GP host nation: Fernandez, D. Ten, and Brezina.

22. misskarne

I don't trust the RuFed. I'm guessing the three CoR spots will be Kovtun, Voronov and Menshov.

If the RuFed don't pick him, can another country? (But then, probably no-one would. :( )

23. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Actually, considering how badly he skated recently, he has got quite a high chance that other country will pick him; especially if they have medal contenders in men. They wouldn't want to pick someone who can deliver and steal the medal from their men. :)

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. misskarne

:lol: Fair point.

25. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

26. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

The best members of Russian team will compete at the World Team Trophy that will take place in Tokyo, April 11-14. In ice dance, Russia will be represented by Ekaterina Bobrova and Dmitry Soloviev, World bronze medalists and European champions. Ekaterina Bobrova speaks about preparation to the last competition of the current season.

- You have already achieved all your goals for this season: won European championships, took the medal at Worlds. It's probably hard to find strength or motivation to prepare for another World Trophy?
    - In theory, we are preparing for the WTT. Right now, in fact, we are practicing steps and working on our new programs. But starting next week, we are going to concentrate on our programs. As for lack of strength, of course, we feel tired. That is why our coach Alexander Zhulin told us to skate for pleasure. This season was great for us, we did a good job, we can afford to relax and skate freely.

-You haven't considered skipping this event, to save time for recharging and working on choreography for the Olympic programs?
    -We have. We were 40% for skipping the championships in Tokyo, but 60% outweighed. We are always happy to represent Russia, especially since it will be our first WTT. And there will be team event at the Olympics as well. We need to understand what it is about and what it feels like.

-You are not concerned by the fact that the team event at the Olympics will precede the individual events?
    -Ice dancers have almost a week and a half between the two, so we are completely calm. In addition, there is a possibility for enter a substitute. The federation will decide who and when will skate at the Olympics. In any case, we will have enough time for rest.

-World Team Trophy will take place in Japan. Do you like this country?
    -We have been to Japan twice, and we liked it. Tokyo is an amazing city, completely different world. It will be very interesting to see it once again. There are great figure skating fans in Japan, they like Russian skaters. Many people are already waiting for us to come.

-Upon returning from Japan, are you going to start working on choreography for the new programs right away?
    -Yes. When we come back, we will start choreographing them. We already have some drafts and pieces. But so far, we have only tried to figure out if it's going to work or not. Next season is the Olympic season, and we have to be ready from the start.

-Are you planning something new for the Olympic season?
    -Yes, we want to create something interesting and unusual, something that no one ever has done. To make the audience stand up! We definitely won't do a 33d Carmen.

27. shah

shah Well-Known Member

I hope it's April Fool's...

28. Judge Dred

Judge Dred New Member

Well done to Artur. hope he can build on this

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

They don't have to assign him to CoR. They can politik for him to be assigned elsewhere. As a pick, he can be a dark horse, but I'm guessing he'll be assigned somewhere that Tuktamysheva is, so that Mishin can travel with them both.

Yes, he's top 75 SB and qualifies for a pick.

If S/K move to Mozer, too, then that will be plenty of direct competition for B/L in the same rink.

30. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

meow :p:lol:

Bobrova could be diva potential afterall !
    Thanks quiqie :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.