From Russia With Love - Spring into Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

There is no way you compare Sotnikova with Czisny who is perhaps the weakest jumper ever, for a world class skater. Did she have multiple competition performances with at least 3 falls in each? It's gross injustice to this young skater who is only skating her new routine for the season with very little mileage on it.

2. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Sotnikova had 3 falls in her FS at COR last season...
    I'm not saying her jumps are weak like Czisny's, just that they don't often seem to work in competition like Czisny's. I was actually complimenting Adelina because I do find her spins and spirals, and general skating/presentation, to be really beautiful just like Czisny. To say her spins and spirals are of the caliber of Czisny is definitely not an insult. The jump problems speak for themselves. I said I hope they get better during the actual season because everyone knows that girl can jump, it's just a matter of doing it when it counts (which fortunately, it didn't here)

3. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

4. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

From what I saw, I enjoyed Pogorilaya the most. She's stunning and has a lot of gorgeous moments...I think she can be a dark horse for this season and the next to come. I see bits of Kostner and Butyrskaya in her
    I'm not as excited as some of you are with Lipnitskaia, Rodionova or B/S. I reckon they look in very good form, though
    Sotnikova is much more athletic than Czisny will ever be, but there are some technical issues to be fixed. The axel and the flip look scary, but it's very early in the season. Sotnikova has crazy flexibility but she doesn't have Alissa's gorgeous spins and ethereal quality ...she's much stronger in the jumping department, skates with much more speed and has very nice lines that can be further developed
    I really hate those crazy pop rock versions of classical music. I mean Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso is already a beautiful piece, I don't understand the lame drums and cheesy orchestration...it was the same with Liebestraum...who chooses those arrangements??:eek:

5. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I think with Adelina, it's frustrating because she has the goods in all the departments - she can jump, good basics, fun personality on the ice, nice lines, speed, presentation, flexibility, great spins and spirals - the problem is just putting it all together. Technique wise, her jumps aren't the best, but they are still exciting due to their size and explosive nature. Girl has talent to burn, hopefully she gets it all together some day, even if it's not until 2018, she has time.

Agree about Pogorilaya, if she can continue jumping like last season and polishes those spins up, she will be one to watch for sure. Quite striking out there on the ice and she seems to have the personality and fire to go with it. Plus the tango program and costume actually give me confidence in her team's ability to package her well, I think this could be a good vehicle for her moving forward.

I want to see Julia's FS to Shinder's List now, I'm very optimistic about the strides she's made artistically from watching the SP and hope to get the same impression from her FS. Looking good to punch her ticket to Sochi right now.

6. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

7. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

8. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Federova grew a lot so now they have to relearn throws. He threw her so differently because she was so small.

9. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

10. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

WTF Adelina??? That was awful...

11. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

12. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

13. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

but still Fedorova wont outgrow him like Davankova/Deputat
    the throws did look it needed more preparation than it used to , he used to throw her with no hesitation
    but for now I don't see a problem with their jumps, thats a good sign

Elena Radionovas SP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ--pnU7pnQ

Medvedeva looking great for JGP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwFkE_ipA7I, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H03tZZS06EI

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  14. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

15. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Davankova hasn't outgrown him yet! She is taller than she used to be, but saying that she has outgrown him is pushing it a bit too far.

16. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

17. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Wow, I was really resistant to M&K in the past, but they've really improved (especially her!) and their FD is relatively interesting.

18. love_skate2011

smaller by a few cm ? :confused: that wont be enough
    you compare Davankova/Deputat with Fedorova/Miroshkins disparity which is more suited for Pairs
    D/D will struggle with lifts and twists

19. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Sure, if you compare them with Fedorova/Miroshkin's size difference. However, if you compare them with Canadian Margaret PURDY / Michael MARINARO you may find out that although the size difference is advantage, it isn't everything. Purdy/Marinaro beat Fedorova/Miroshkin at the last junior worlds without having their size difference.

This hopefully shows you that it is possible. Not easy, but doable.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1Yg8L65KLU

20. love_skate2011

P/M did not beat F/M on lifts and twists
    but because of F/M 2 mistake on their SP in jumps, had they been clean they would have won gold

P/M look like an ice dancing couple :eek:
    comparing to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsFAvMfaQM4

21. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

It doesn't really matter whether P/M did or did not beat F/M on lifts and twists. What matters is that their placement was higher. They may not get their points on lifts and twists but there are other elements in skating than lifts and twists. As you see on the link I sent you, you can be 2nd at junior worlds with nearly no height difference at all so please stop writing Davakova/Deputat off. Davakova/Deputat may not be earning their highest scores for lifts and twists but as long as they have their other elements very strong and consistent, they will be a decent pair despite their heights.

"had they been clean they would have won gold" - yes, sure and have I landed a triple axel I would have been an Olympic champion! :p Let's return to reality. Skating is not about if someone had managed to go clean, but whether they actually did manage to go clean. As much as I love F/M, the fact is that they did not manage to go clean.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.