From Russia With Love - Spring into Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

He does have a point, though...:shuffle:

he only said what a lot of people thinks :watch:
  2. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Or maybe he's admitting what's gone been in volved in all of his titles :sekret: I mean he says that it's Chan's fed that got him the gold, and says he speaks from a place of knowledge :COP:
  3. anna1506

anna1506 New Member

True! He's right. Many people, many experts think so. I too :hat1:
  4. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Re the above: As much as I dislike Plush, I feel all of his wins (before his comeback) were warranted. Since coming back not so.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's very telling how Leonova is not even mentioned by Piseev. Goodbye Alena. You had spark, you had spunk and it's a shame all that got ruined by Morozov.

Tarasova just needs to retire NOW. She's completely lost it.

And that hits the nail on the head. Everybody works well at optimal conditions. One of the reasons you have a coach is so that they can push you when you're not at 100%.

I was not happy with Kovtun being sent either but Piseev had a point. Kovtun needs experience and when they sent two experienced skaters last year they didn't skate well either.

The level was extremely high and Menshov would not have placed much higher even if he skated two clean programs.

Zhang and Zhang weren't managing (they were on a clear downhill slope) and that's why they broke up. It just wasn't viable any more (and she was too tall to continue in Pairs).

Purdy/Marinaro's "triple" twist is :scream: and the lifts aren't very strong either. I don't think they have a future in seniors.

But a program consisting mostly of cross-overs without a semblance of originality and lacking in any creative ideas should?

Exactly. So for Plushenko out of all people to be talking politics... Please.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  6. anna1506

anna1506 New Member

But where? Sheffield? Russian champs?
  7. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Sheffield is the only one I might not have given him. Gachinski should have had a much, much bigger lead than a few tenths after the SP, though Plushenko's LP was magic so maybe that would have come out on top anyway.

And Plushenko never said he thought Joubert should have won, he said Ten should have won.
  8. anna1506

anna1506 New Member

9. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Olympics. But that shouldn't be bought up again. Great that we can have these discussions and see everyones point of view.
  10. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Brings back memories from Vancouver. It wasn't Evan Lysacek who won the competition, it was NBC.;)
  11. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Cross-posting from the WTT thread:
    So the team is not yet set in stone?
  12. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I normally agree with you on things; however, the two experienced skaters who went to Worlds and finished dismally last year had not had the consistency of either Menshov or Voronov this year (I mean, Voronov's biggest miss was that dang spin at Euros, which threw him off for half of the program; Menshov's biggest "miss" was unfortunately being assigned to high level GP events, where he still did well). Sure, Kovtun needed experience, which he got at Euros, at the expense of Menshov. Now he's going to WTT? Seriously, is that more high pressure, high level "experience" for the boy? No, it's pimping the young one out with the opportunity to earn $$$ in a reasonably low-stress environment.
  13. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Dear, Todd Eldridge, Christina Gao, Weir and many others have same opinion...
  14. lala

lala Well-Known Member

haters gonna hate..
  15. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Totally unreasonable Assignment for kovtun. Is he ever going to had to earn anything? He's just going to be given assignments! Bomb Russian nationals get sent to euros and worlds and display no clue that you can't do 4 combos after having done 3. So I wasn't like he didn't do one and was thinking he needs 3! Hes basically a pet project who displays no level of deserving being a pet project. At least menshov gets to. He skated well in senior gp and Russian nationals and everything and is not doing combos of 3t-1t.
  16. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed Sorry to hear that.
  17. morqet

morqet Active Member

Actually, as the ranking points that Kovtun gained on the JGP and at Worlds were counted in towards the qualification score for the Russian team, I believe they are required to pick him. But don't let that get in the way of your ranting.
    hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  18. caseyedwards

A lot the points he gained to go to wtt were undeserved so it works wither way!
  19. morqet

morqet Active Member

You keep telling yourself that, honey.
  20. caseyedwards

Lol - like you think he should've gone to euros and worlds and got the points?
  21. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

To be fair, if Kovtun didn't go to Euros and Worlds, he would have gone to Junior Worlds and probably got a lot of points there.
  22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Do you mean for WTT? The Russian team was required to pick two of Kovtun, Menshov, and Voronov. JGP scores don't count unless there aren't two GP placements earning point, and Menshov and Voronov had the two highest GP points.

Kovtun earned 551 at Euros: the max he could have won for JWC is 500.

Had he skated JWC, none of his scores would have counted for WTT for Russia, because the points earned by the WC entry would have been used, then the top Euros score(s) beforeany JWC points are considered. Unless the Russian Man at WC missed the FS and the Russian Euros Men had zero or one make the FS, Kovtun's junior points wouldn't have been used, and he wouldn't have been eligible for WTT, at least according the rules.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  23. Sylvia

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Rabid fans are going to be rabid fans.
  25. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

That is so random about Shelepen...Israel? :huh: Is she even Jewish and/or have ancestors from there? I wonder how she managed that one? Unfortunately, this means she can't compete in the Olympics next year due to the ISU rule, so I guess she needs to sit the entire next season out from ISU competitions, though if she is still recovering from her injury that may be for the best..
  26. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

And are going to annoy the rest of us, but then, it's sort of like watching a car wreck. I keep having to check in to these threads just to look and see what's the latest in Uberland.

Seriously, what's the interminable use of the word "hate?" Nobody "hates" anybody really, do they? That's a pretty strong word. I can only speak for myself, and there ar some skaters I find annoying, or don't care for their skating, or think they've starting believing their own PR...but hate? Just because we don't worship at the alter we are "haters?" Go figure....
  27. bek

bek Guest

I thought it was a year out if you are a citizen from another country... Hasn't it been awhile since Polina's competed internationally?
  28. Sylvia

29. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Wait, what's the Soldatova Rule again? 1 year? 2 years?

Still, unless some Israeli skater could go to Nebelhorn to earn a spot for Israel for Sochi, it's pointless either way (as far as Sochi goes).
  30. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I have no idea, but Israeli citizenship is pretty much automatic if you have one Jewish grandparent, regardless of whether you yourself are Jewish. Even now, after two or three decades of heavy emigration, there are many people still left in the Former U.S.S.R. who have or had one Jewish grandparent.

One year, but it's measured from the start of the season (July 1), so she can't compete internationally until the start of the 2014-15 season. She is certainly young enough and talented enough for the 2018 Winter Olympic Games to be a realistic goal.
  31. bek

bek Guest

Wasn't Tatiana allowed to skate at Worlds, after competiting at the Olympics or has the concept of year changed?
  32. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

IIRC, the rule was, in fact, changed shortly after Tatiana Volosozhar began competing for Russia. It did use to be one year from the date of the last international competition.

To see the current version of Rule 109, point your browser here: http://www5.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-206227-223450-177140-0-file,00.pdf
  33. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

Thanks very much for your explanation.
  34. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Shelepen is Jewish ???? :confused:

this was going to happen though
    she had no chance really skating in Russia, her career was pretty much almost done
  35. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Shelepen said on her formspring that she was baptized, so no, she is not Jewish, at least not entirely, she is Christian in some percentage. She probably has some Jewish ancestors farther back though.
  36. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

at least she can now be a multiple Jewish National Champion
    she probably wont be at 2014 Sochi ( 1 year sit out ? ) but maybe 2018
  37. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Rule 109 2c states that for Pairs and Ice Dance couples, the waiting period is 12 months from the date of the last competition for the old member. That applied to Volosozhar then and still applies now.

For singles, the waiting periods, citizen or resident, are:
    For international competitions (not championships), they cannot have skated for another member within 12 months of July 1 of the season in either international competitions or championships. (109 2bii)
    For championships, the cannot have skater for another member within 18 months of July 1 of the season in either international competitions or championships. (109 2biii).​

The ISU can make an exception to any waiting periods, and if they do, the skater does not apply to the new member's quotas. Recently someone asked if the exception was every granted, but I think the answer is no, unless someone can remember an event where there was a skater from "ISU."

Shelepen's last international competition was Golden Spin of Zagreb; the Ladies FS took place on 15 December 2012. Her last championships was 2012 Junior Worlds; the Ladies FS took place on 3 March 2012. She'll be eligible to skate for Israel in both international competition and championships in 2014-15, assuming she's released by Russia, if she needs a release as a citizen of Israel. (Volosozhar needed a release from Ukraine, even though she got Russian citizenship.)
  38. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

39. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Some of these SB rankings could go up after WTT, but all of the WTT participants are either Top 12 at Worlds, guaranteed two GP's for next year, or Top 24 SB now and are guaranteed one. Looking at potential GP spots for next year -- I have no idea if any of the age-eligible juniors will go senior -- and not including duplicates on multiple lists:

Top 12 Worlds:
    Volosozhar/Trankov, Kavaguti/Smirnov, Bazarova/Larianov, Bobrova/Soloviev, Ilinyk/Katsapalov, Riazanova/Tkachenko, Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva

Top 24 SB:
    Stolbova/Klimov, Martiusheva/Rogonov, Vigalova/Zakroev (24, with no one on the Pairs list for WTT who can surpass them), Stepanova/Bukin, Sinitsina/Zhiganshin, Radionova (not age eligible), Liptnitskaia, Pogorilaya, Kovtun, Menshov

Top 24 WS (unofficial, adjusted for end of season, not including Top 24 SB):
    Leonova, Korobeynikova
  40. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

so i have hope to see shelepen in some major competitions in upcoming years, yeah ! :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.