From Russia With Love - Spring into Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

http://www.morozov-team.com/article/90.html

Via Google Translate:
    "Now all the skaters involved in my group, rest and recover before the new season - said Nikolai Morozov. - For April 23 we fly to the first staging camp in the U.S.. Prepare for the new season - to put the program to work on the supports, jump elements - we start in New York. The group - Elena Ilinykh and Nikita Katsalapov, Alena Leonova and Artur Dmitriev. A little later we will be joined Frenchman Florent Amodio and Japan's Daisuke Takahashi. Also hold a gathering in America Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov, with which we will work on new programs. "

2. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

What about Pushkash and Gureiro? He didn't mention them. Did they leave him?

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Daisuke... :(

4. shah

shah Shhh...

Dai :wall:
    Well, I guess we shouldn't expect revolutionary programmes from V/T, again :/...

5. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Maybe Morozov will find new lows for them and I/K. I have no idea how he could come up with material worse than that Godfather SP and Ghost FD, but if there is anyone who can do it, it's him. I'm a bit excited. But also sad because of all the wasted talent.

6. reut

reut Active Member

They mentioned in a few interviews that they are completely glad with Morozov's works and glad with the "second mark" they receive for them. Why to change something that works well, right? Especially now, when they got gold and were 20 points ahead. So don't expect any "Pina"s from them.
    Which is a real pity, of course.

7. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Volosozhar had mentioned they would like to work with Camerlengo. I'm not sure if she meant this season or just in general it was pretty vague.

8. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I don't think the international judges were less appreciative of Morozov's choreographies for Takahashi than Wilson's and Camerlengo's. Quality on the jumps, especially the quad, is where Takahashi is lacking and what matters IMO is what Morozov can do for Takahashi as a technical coach.

Holds true for Volosozhar/Trankov, if most of the big tricks work for them, they have nothing to worry about. I/K is a bit more complicated case.

9. reut

reut Active Member

I can't be sure I read ALL their interviews :), but in the interview I saw Camerlengo was mentioned by journalist as an option and Volosozhar answered that they prefer not to experiment, everything is fine with what they have and that Camerlengo doesn't have much experience with pairs. Interview was taken during TEB 2011 AFAIK. Maybe since then they changed their plans? But in their later interviews I saw the same motive of "no more changes needed".

10. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. It can be where the flip is in the program, for example if it is after something that she considers difficult, so she spends her energy and concentration on the thing before and then looses concentration for the flip, or it can be the position of the flip on the ice. For example, I used to have in my program Salchow that was coming against the barrier and although I always had plenty of space for the Salchow, I rushed it too much (worried that I would run out of space) and it never worked. Then I swapped Salchow with loop; loop wasn't a problem at that particular space in the program because you go into it backwards so it wasn't playing with my head that I have to rush otherwise I will end up on the barrier, and the Salchow wasn't a problem at the place where the loop originally was. Sometimes there is a really silly reason why someone can't land a jump in one program although they may be landing it fine out of program or at any other place in the program. We will see how she is doing with her flips next season with new programs.

11. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Well the first flip is after 3/3 combo where she sometimes ur the triple toe and then the second flip is usually after tHe 2a 3t where she usually urs the triple toe. So having flips after uring triple toes is probably wrong. Maybe she starts with 3 flip then does 3lz-e 3tur and puts the salchow in between the 2/3 and flip. That's worth experimenting with.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  12. skaterdelight

skaterdelight New Member

My feelings exactly.

13. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I agree with Hanca – having troubles to land a jump in competition does not always mean that it’s a bad jump for a skater. If the flip would be a trouble jump for Adelina, she’d probably replaced it by a loop for her short programme. My personal impression is that she has kind of mental block with it – when she was in Oberstdorf, she just did fine in practice and she landed two triple flips in her exhibition. Again a skater would probably not pick his trouble jumps for exhibitions. ;)

But unfortunately that jump didn`t work a couple of times when it counted and now it looks like Adelina does to much thinking before entering it. At CoR for example you could see her hesitation when doing it with the result that she’d lost her timing for that jump. I think she just needs more confidence and let it naturally go like in practice – but then this is of course quite easily said, but not that easily done. :shuffle:

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

New article on Alena Leonova entitled "Leonova tries sports journalism." Reads:-

15. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Triple-triple and 2A-triple T are hard combinations. I think what may be happening is that Adelina concentrates so much on those combinations that she doesn't concentrate on the immediately following jump because she may consider it in comparison easy. Also, if she makes a mistake on the combination, she may thing about it for a few seconds while she should be concentrating on what is coming next - then she makes a mistake on the flip. We will see if the same issue comes up with her new programs.

16. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

That's why so many Sometimes do combos second after starting with a solo. So if she makes a mistake she will be onto her third jump! Hopefully having done the rotations and or landing the first two. But it's best do experiment from not to the first gp including senior b's because changing programs around as the season progresses rarely works. Like Doing different things at different gps. And maybe have a buffer jump be an easier jump - but sometimes even the easiest can be tricky If the heads not there. So there's lots to work on.

17. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

YES!! I was so excited for him after watching this skate. it wasn't perfect, but it was MUCH better in the realm of his jumps. He actually nailed the quad in the FP, the landing, rotation and take-off were beautiful... Sure, he didn't plan the double in the SP, but these things happen. I LOVED his interview after the competition...Wonderful way to end Hell Season, and perhaps the perfect way to get back on track to be the skater I know he truly is. Oh, and HE DIDN'T Fall!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  18. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

Nah. It's just Alyosha being Alyosha. Something happened to the sweet kid who won the Olympics back in 2002. Seriously. He's very cynical now, and looks at the world, and especially the SKATING world, usually with angry, judgemental eyes. It breaks my heart. Sad to say, I still adore him.

19. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I see nothing cynical, or angry and judgemental about this statement. Firstly, it's true. Secondly, knowing what I do about Yagudin, it was most likely meant in a joking manner. He just has a dry sense of humor like that - yes, probably a bit blunt and not understandable to everyone.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  20. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Yagudin is not cynical, he is just painfully honest. Always.

21. Katarzyna

I don’t think what people didn`t like was the key message of Alexej’s statement, but the way it had been presented. If he made a comment that now there will be a lot of World Champions around, he could have transported the same message in a less arrogant way. What I found odd was his remark about “those who would never have been able to do that on their own!”. :rolleyes:

No one, not even people as talented and as hard working like Alexej become World Champions “on their own”. It’s not like you go out and teach yourself triples and do your own choreography. Alexej got great tech from Majorov and Mishin and Tarasova helped him to become a wonderful and unforgetable artist on the ice (apparently he would not have managed that on his own when he was still with Mishin :p) and he got a federation in his back, who paid for his practice when he was young. Do you think he might have managed to become a World Champion when being born in let’s say Malaysia? Just think where Javier Fernandez might be now, if he’d had the same kind of supportive system like Alexej in behind from childhood on? :shuffle:

I perceive this remark on “becoming a world champion on his own” as pretty presumptuous and ungrateful. In addition it shows lack of respect towards other athletes, even when meant to be funny. But then it’s also expression of a certain competitive mindset, which is beneficial for winning major medals. Being overappreciative of other skaters' achievements probably doesn't help in becoming a 4-time World Champion. ;)

Actually I’d wish WTT had existed when Alexej & Plushy still competed against each other – it had been just too funny to watch both of them interacting in the K&C after the other one’s performance. :lol:

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

You may be right about that no one would be a champion on their own; that one needs a coach, choreographer, possibly physio and list of other professionals. However, that doesn't change anything on the fact that some skaters are better and some worse. If medals were received according to that 'no one has managed their success completely on their own', you would have to award the medals to every skater who competes at the championship and to all their coaches and all their choreographers... This is sport; someone is better and someone is not as good. I can understand why someone who was on top can feel that the value of the medals will be devaluated. I feel the same.

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

By "on his own," I think all Yagudin meant was without skating teammates.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

+

25. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Yes, this.

26. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

I would pay good $ to see that--especially with Mishin sandwiched between them.

That is what I took it to mean as well.

27. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

Sooooo frustrating. I love them, but their choreography leaves much to be desired. I would love to see them tackle more complex work, but their current formula seems to be working.

28. Katarzyna

I don’t think values of medals won in individual events will be devaluated by team competitions. There are many other winter sports which have team events and the individual achievements have not been overshadowed by team competitions. Besides that with figure skating in particular I don’t think athletes’ achievements are only measured in medals and Alexei Yagudin is a perfect example – it’s not so much his medal count which is impressive (though of course his medal count is remarkable), but the way how he won OG and some other titles: undoubtedly with perfect programmes artistically and technique wise. That’s why I really considered his remarks and the tone in which they were made as dispensable - Alexei is actually a memorable skater who does not have to fear about that at all. :) No reason to detract from that with making such a cynical remark. :(

29. Katarzyna

I came across this article:
    http://nvspb.ru/stories/ih-nujno-zastavit-bolshe-rabotat-51111

It’s about skaters from St. Pete moving to Moscow. It focuses on pairs’ skating and mentions coaching changes, which have already been reported here. What I found interesting was one section mentioning that Moscow can offer more financial support to the skaters / coaches – a reason why even some coaches moved from St. Pete to Moscow. There is also an example given of a skater located in St. Pete, who started to skate at shows, but then continued his career in Moscow (= Andrei Kosizyn training in Natalia Pavlova’s group) indicating that currently skaters can earn more money with training in Moscow than skating at shows. I found that somewhat surprizing. You’d rather expect both cities to have equal funding opportunities? :confused:

30. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Any info about the rumor I&K are working with Shpilband this summer? Is this on a limited basis and will he also work with R&T in that capacity?

And is there any news about Stepanova & Bukin's decision to go junior or senior?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.