From Russia With Love - Spring into Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

She's very like Roman :)
    I've wanted to see a pic with them and their little girl .Would love to see Albena/Maxim with their son .They all seem to keep their children out of the limelight which is their choice of course but it's nice to see them .

2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Plushenko was nowhere near the situation Gachinski is the year before preparing for Nagano Olympics. First of all as much as I love Urmanov (actually found his skating more appealing than Plushenko), he was nowhere near as decorated as Plushenko. Actually he was a rather disputed Olympic Champion (though I think he won deservedly) and that kind of sports legend Plushenko is. Plushenko on the other hand was an only 16 year old supertalented boy who never competed at a major ISU Championship that time and also never had the pressure to be Russia No. 1 man to present the country in absence of Urmanov. – That kind of pressure which was on Gachinskis shoulders, to deliver when Plushenko didn’t compete. Actually it was fine for Plushenko to train with Urmanov – a role model he could still learn of.

The one who was in a rather similar role – if all – was Yagudin. But with the depths of Russian men skating that time he also didn’t face that kind of external pressure that was put on Gachinski’s shoulders. And obviously Yaugdin didn`t like to work in a surrounding where he felt the coach was not giving enough attention to him as he left camp Mishin after winning Worlds in 1998. ;)

But you are right – while I think Gachinski is in a uncomfortable situation with Plushenko appearing here and then in competiton, to arrange for coaching change now would be just as difficult. :(

3. Katarzyna

quiqie - thank you sooooo much for the links! :)
    What a cute baby! And and a beautiful family! :cheer:

I too think so. Especially the ears! :lol:

4. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Gachinski was asked last year just after Worlds if he considered changing coaches.

The answer was lightning-quick and sharp: No.

It's obvious that there are issues, but I'm not convinced those have to do with Mishin coaching both of them.

Remember, once upon a time Artur was the small boy sitting in front of his TV watching Plushenko in awe. Now he's competing against him. That's going to come with a whole lot of special issues all of its own. Throw in the endless "new Plushenko" "Plushenko-clone" comparisons, the enormous pressure from the public and his own Federation to be a new superstar (and then the endless criticism when he had one bad competition...), and an over-all lack of self-confidence (likely rooted in some of the aforementioned issues), and probably the smartest thing Mishin ever did was split their training times!

Oh, the power dynamics in that rink must be interesting...

5. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Gachinski also had the "next Plushenko" thing thrown at him since he was what, 11 or 12? That's just a huge weight on a kid's shoulders especially with no other Russian man really stepping up to the plate (other than sporadic successes). I'm not overly fond of the kid's style of skating, but I feel for him with the hype he's had to deal with for years.

6. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

7. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

^She does look different! Lovely pic, all the best to them!

8. kapriza

kapriza Member

alilou, Cherub721, hanca and 3 others like this.
  9. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

she's a great jumper...I dunno how she saved that salchow in the sp at worlds!

10. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

11. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

She's doing great!

12. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I had no idea he could jump like that, especially being so tall.

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It was very impressive, but I'm sure many of the skaters who perform 3T/3T land it a lot better in practice than in the context of a program in competition, let alone in unison with a partner.

15. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I wonder how many times skaters have to do a certian element before the good one gets on youtube. :shuffle:

allezfred and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Katarzyna

But what do you expect? Him standing beside Mishin and telling the Journalist: “sure I’d left my coach, if I had a choice to work with someone else till Plushenko retires.” :lol:

18. Katarzyna

Wow, the speed into that jumps and the ease they were done with is just :wideeyes: Thank you for the link kapriza!
    I'd love to see V/T to integrate a 3-3 in their programmes. It would give them a huge advantage, in particular in view of the fact that S/S will pretty sure continue to work on their throw triple axel for Sochi.

Thanks Macassar88! These ones are not bad either! I wonder if Tatjana would be able to pull off a 3 flip or a triple loop as well? She is such a good jumper! Looks like V/T might be experimenting with changes to their jump content right know. :)

Of course they link their best tries and not failures. But still most other pair skaters probably don't manage to do such jumps at all! :rollin:

19. julieann

That's something no one will ever know... ;)

20. Katarzyna

Probably not! But I guess we can assume this for those skaters having already troubles with easier jumps! Just imagine Vera Bazarova doing these jumps! :D

21. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

In practice, Maximin Coia 3T-3T was effortless...

22. julieann

Very true but practice and competitions are two totally different things for Bazarova, Volosozhar and everyone else.

I'm sure that Stolbova (who does a great 3T+2T+2T) would be able to do a 3T+3T if someone asked her try them in practice and put the best looking one on the internet. I think Moore-Towers, Berton and Duhamel would have great looking ones as well. I would rather see them in competition.

It's really risky to change up jumps during the Olympics season especially for pairs who have to get them in sync. Too bad they didn't try it this year.

23. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

seems like a russian warning sign for the germans: you may have th3a but we may have 3t3t.

could be risky in an olympic season, but i like to see how those 2 pairs are pushing each other.

but my heart totally belongs to the germans and is still crying for mukhortva, but that's off-topic, great combo!:D

24. Katarzyna

It is risky, but probably they thought that they don’t need to add technical difficulty to win. So why take the risk? Actually they even cut down with not longer going for the throw triple flip. After Worlds they maybe thought that gold is not locked for them in Sochi, even if they go clean as other pairs were trying hard to add technical difficulty.

25. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I wonder if those vids are just for fun, or if they are seriously thinking of upping their sbs jump content.

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Maybe Mozer anticipated the videos, and that's one of the reasons she said they're keeping their current elements.

Isn't it pretty standard training practice to try jumps in combination to strengthen the first one?

27. Katarzyna

But coaches may change their mind, in particular if certain elements were not consistent yet when being asked. I'm really looking forward to WTT now, as I think if V/T are thinking about adding more technical difficulty, this would be a good chance to do so without taking a big risk. :)

Actually I think adding a 3-3 is not as risky than changing other elements - you don’t have to change choreo a lot, like you have to when changing jumps requiring different entrances and I assume it’s a lot easier for a pair, to train how the get the 2nd jump of a combo in sync (at least if landed well by both skaters), than the first one.

Personally I would love to see V/T to make it happen. :cheer: But I really like them and so I might be biased with my excitement. :eek:

28. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

It seems to be the thing the Russian skaters do. There is Vlad Sezganov whose videos landing a 4Lutz are all over the Russian internet, yet he had never made it to the top 5 in Russian nationals. If I recall correctly there were some monstrous jumps by Pluschenko as well (was it 3A/4T combination or something?). Unfortunately all those jumps landed during the practice only are not worth much.

29. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  30. lala

lala Well-Known Member

deleted

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.