From Russia With Love - Spring into Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

I suspected it was the last sentence you asked to translate for :lol:

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Re-posting from the 2013 Triglav Trophy thread in Kiss and Cry:

Slovenian TV news report about the competition that features Gachinski and Mishin speaking in English! http://tvslo.si/predvajaj/pred-ekipnim-svetovnim-prvenstvom-v-drsanju/ava2.162665631/

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Thanks for translating!

And she won't reach her full diva potential until she dons her first headband.

4. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I really started liking him this season – and not only for the skating, but also for being a good sports. Sure not many athletes would have been able to handle the way Russian Fed decided on sport for Euros and Worlds as classy as he did. I too keep my fingers crossed that he will do great. :cheer2:

I don’t think competing at JGP will help Nicole. At JGP she will compete with 13-14 years old pre-puberty jumping beans who will do triples-triple left and right from her. You can say Junior competitions are technically superior to seniors if you look at jumps landed there. So I think it will be a lot harder for her to get good results. I really hope Russian Fed will give her a chance to compete at Senior GP - it would be more than fair after they didn’t let her compete at Worlds. :)

Like Shah I too hope it’s April Fool's. I don’t think it’s a good idea for Mozer to coach V/T, on which she has to focus to some extent with the goal to win gold in Sochi and B/L and S/K as new pairs who should be build up as medal contenders for the next Olympic cycle. That’s just too much! :(

5. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I believe Mozer is not the only coach there. Morozov is in the team and he was a great pair technician, and he certainly makes for a great technical coach. He has developed Trankov's lift and twist technique to the very highest possible level

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Pairs Injury news :(:
    "This week, on Thursday, Andrei Deputat will be made ​​elective surgery on his right leg due to damage of the meniscus... Last week, in training, during the execution of the triple jump Andrei landed badly... " according to his coach Sergei Dobroskokov in this article: http://fsrussia.ru/news/530_andrej-deputat-travmiroval-nogu-na-trenirovke/

ETA more via Google Translate: "In early June, we will go to the 20-day gathering of our team in Sochi... In August, we will train in Moscow on our rink. In late August, will start Junior Grand Prix, so you have to be prepared."

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  7. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Thanks so much, Sylvia! I think Mishin echoed everyone's thoughts when he said that he hoped the selections next season would be objective.

Loving the competition footage of Artur in the background too. That quad looked like just how he used to do them. Some interesting new spin positions in there too.

8. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Like the Fed sending Menshov to Worlds if he wins Nationals? I really have trouble to believe they would, they didn't send Menshov to Worlds back in 2011 when he was 27, why would they want to send him three years later, is Menshov getting any younger?

Can't wait to see the Gachinski/Kovtun rivalry next season. :drama:

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Gachinski has a nice voice.

10. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

It's nice to hear them speak in english! They do it well too. I am looking forward to see how Artur does in the upcoming season. I really hope he does well!

11. misskarne

The issue is not neccessarily what happens after Euros, but what happens before it. Euros has always been the selection event for Worlds for Russia. Had Menshov beaten Gachinski in 2011, he would have likely been Russia's man at Worlds that year. But the main issue, I think, was that this year Menshov was not even given that chance, passed over for the selection event. The RuFed made things unneccesarily difficult and even more painful when they rabbited on all that rubbish about the Russian Cup Final. Mishin's main issue, I suspect, was with the Euros selection; he was very much in favour of Menshov going.

As to the budding Gachinski/Kovtun rivaly: Gachinski is already up 1-0. But at this point I am happy (and I am sure he is too) to forgo the rivalry stuff and get focus on getting back on track.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I prefer Gachinsky, not Kovtun, Gachi is a beautiful skater. I hope his beautiful jumps will be succesful again.

13. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

14. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

V&T are great, but I have a feeling they would do well with almost any coaching. I'm not sure how much can be attributed to Mozer, though she does a great job. I remember a quote Platov had about V&M/Igor - with talent like that, the coach's job is mainly not to spoil it. That describes V&T as well. Not sure if Mozer will be able to help skaters who need to improve fundamentals, but it'll be interesting to see.

15. julieann

I agree with that, I would like to see her take an average team and make them something great (verses a great team and keep them going) she never did that with her other teams.

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I think there are several things here: Volosozhar and Trankov were not an established team like V/M who had skated together since they were children and given the same, basic, fabulous fundamentals. It could have taken them far longer to harmonized their throw and twist techniques, which they said were quite different when they paired, and it sounds like Morosov was in charge of that. Add in a personal relationship, and V/T could have crashed and burned.

I think Mozer knows when to step in and when to keep her ego out of it and how to create a good working environment, and she looks outside as well as in for excelence in pairs skating. I don't know whether anyone can make a jumper out of Bazarova, but I think Mozer will create a good environment in which to train, and I think the competition will help B/L and S/K.

17. shah

shah Shhh...

I'm not convinced... I do hope S/K will not lose their voidiness. Please steer clear of His Oiliness crapography! [if there are plans to make him their new choreographer...]

18. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

yeah, hope that too.
    i really liked their past programs, hope the will continue with programs like that.
    they always have something special until now.

and btw: what about the russian rule not to change coaches in the pre-olympic and olympic season? seems to be some serious rule :D

19. Katarzyna

While I'm convinced Menshov was robbed and treated just incredibly unfair by his Fed, I think Mishin’s support for Menshov should be taken with a grain of salt. – He knows that Menshov will retire next year, but Kovtun will stay and actually get stronger every year. So presumably he was voting against Gachinski’s main rival for the upcoming years. That’s one of the reasons why I found it pretty ridiculous that such decision is made by coaches, who of course also pursue their own interests. :(

I also think there is some irony in it when Mishin expresses hopes that team selection will be objective next years – it’s not as if he never tried to press his skaters in the team by politics (and he actually succeeded at times). He is just a clever fox! :puppet:

20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I really hope not. Mozer's junior teams always had original choreography, so I have hope on that end.

21. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

The biggest advantage for B/L and S/K is that Mozer has the top team in Russia at the moment and a lot of resources and support they won't get with any other coach or team.

22. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

One can argue that they didn't change the coach in the pre-olympic and olympic season; they changed the coach between the seasons! :lol: (I suppose, you can get around any rule if you have enough imagination)

23. morqet

morqet Active Member

24. misskarne

Very interesting.

25. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

the first one to jump off the team. no surprise, that some may be going, don't expected it would be voronov. so, alena following and miki is bouncing back :D

26. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

27. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

I agree about S/K, hope they stay interesting and unusual. About the rule - I think it sounds like "skaters are not allowed to switch coaches without the approval of the federation". So they can, but they have to ask Piseev first :)

28. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

To be fair, Stolbova and Klimov were very strong while they were at junior level, but since they came to seniors (the last two seasons) they became a bit unpredictable and inconsistent. Especially the last season they quite stagnated. Although their bronze medal at Europeans 2012 was a great achievement, this year they did not deliver when it counted. 3rd at GP is reasonable, but then 5th at GP is a bad result for someone who managed to be 3rd at Europeans in 2012. And their Europeans 2013 - 6th -3 places lower than the previous year... anyway, I am glad that they decided to make a change. I am not sure whether Mozer is the best coach for them, because she wasn't very well known with her teaching results before she started with Volosozhar-Trankov and it is possible that Volosozhar-Trankov would have this results with anyone. On the other hand I am not saying that Mozer isn't good. At least she has a chance to prove herself and we will see. Still, for Stolbova and Klimov it is better to make a change (even if it may potentially not work out) rather than repeating the same if there is no improvement. They have nothing to lose.

29. julieann

S/K didn't earn their way to Euros in 2012 they were sent there due to the surgery of Smirnov. Not only were K/S not there but neither was S/S. If S/S were there, they would have been 4th and if K/S were there, they would have been home. Same goes for their nationals medals as well. They have had some great opportunities at the cost of sick and injured skaters, I hope they do a lot with the move but I'm not holding out hope, maybe they will get a better twist.

30. Katarzyna

That’s surely an advantage. But both couples will have to be prepared to train with their closest competitors from the same country in direct surrounding. That’s not everybody’s cup of tea. ;)
    But let's wait and :watch:

Thank you for the info morqet. I’m really curious who will be his new coach? Maybe he will go back to Urmanov? :confused:

Very unlikely. Possibly after 2014, but it would not make sense to retire 1 year before Olympic Games in Sochi with Plushenko not being a secure bet for the spot after major spinal surgery, Menshov as usual dumped by the own Fed, Gachinksi being out of shape for most season and Kovtun having shown that he was not ready to compete at Worlds level in Seniors. It’s not that there is absolutely no chance for him to make the team and Olympics in Russia are for sure worth giving it another try. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.