From Russia With Love - Spring into Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I believe this is now the 10th thread in this series (started in May 2010). Looking forward to reading more translated articles from Worlds...

Re-posting this interview from the last thread:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

So going back to the interview with Elena and Nikita, I think that it's hilarious that Kustarova was working with them and suddenly they got catapulted down in the rankings.

3. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

The Russians need to put a stop to Tarasova's interference. Everything she touches lately seems to turn to suck.

And I really hope I&K get a new coach. Igor or Platov are my early choices.

4. Macassar88

TAT needs to shut up. She messed up BS's FD which could have been even more amazing if they had done Man with the Harmonica the whole way through.

5. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I'm very intrigued to see where I/K go from here. Is them leaving Morozov an actual reality do we think?

6. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

With Elena banging Morosov, I don't think they will leave him.

7. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Morozov is now part of their best success - almost winning euros and worst failure worlds 2013 so it's a mixed bag.

8. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

May be they were just nervous. They need more mileage.

9. Macassar88

Or maybe they should just go to Kustarova lol
    Since they think so highly of her!

10. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

The Russian Federation can always force them to, like they forced D&S to go to Linichuk.

11. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Piseev interview: http://fsrussia.ru/news/519_valentin-piseev-v-kanade-vsegda-vystupat-neprosto/

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  12. Macassar88

Thanks for the translation!

13. misskarne

misskarne #408

So basically, Piseev's all "Gachinski/Menshov/Voronov could have scored 400 at the Russian Cup final and we wouldn't give a toss because Tarasova said to send her little golden boy so we're going to". Why not just be honest instead of all this rubbish about how the Russian Cup Final was a qualifier?

And how can he possibly be happy with 17th?!

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  14. bek

bek Guest

I think it was a crapshoot for Russia to get 2 spots anyways...And I think they were trying to give Kovtun some experience.

15. misskarne

misskarne #408

So fine. They sent him to Euros. They could send him to WTT for experience. Menshov earned that spot. Kovtun didn't. Flat, plain, simple. And yet the way the Fed are acting you would think it would have physically harmed them to send Menshov. Well, I guess, who knows who Tarasova knows?

16. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

How did Menshov earn a spot to the worlds, you can argue about him earning a spot for Europeans but not to the worlds. If at all you feel anyone needs to sent other than Kovtun then it should have been Voronov.

17. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

He was sent for 2 spots and that was the only reason. Experience can come in a number of ways but he should have had to earn his way to get experience in senior skating. Like GP is way to get experience. And WTT was experience in 2012. This whole thing of sending him for no reason other than to show him off was misguided. After he was at Euros and did too many combos and bombed the SP he should have been forced to earn the worlds spot. He is being put on a path of not having to earn anything.

18. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

The issue IMO was more sending him to Euros. Kovtun earned his spot to Worlds based on his performance at Euros, where he beat Voronov and skated very well, earned a high score, and placed 5th. He was given the spot at Euros which he didn't earn, at least not with his placement at Nationals, but his strong fall season helped make it so that the assignment to Euros didn't seem so totally undeserved. So really, I don't have that much of an issue with his going to Worlds, given that he was sent to Euros and did well there. If the Fed had made it clear that the Russian Cup final was going to be the qualifier for Worlds, I'm sure Kovtun would have competed, but they weren't clear, and perhaps he chose not to compete strategically, because in the case that Menshov skated a blinder at the Russian Cup finals and the Fed wanted to send him to Worlds, they would probably want Kovtun to go to JW, which was literally RIGHT after the Russian Cup final so making him compete twice in a row in two different countries would be a bit harsh IMO, so he probably chose not to compete so as to not be exhausted should he be sent to JW.

Anyways, the placement isn't great but Kovtun skated fairly well at Worlds for a 17 year old first timer with minimal experience. Yeah the SP was bad, but he fought back and landed the 3a and lutz after botching the combo so badly, and he did land two quads and two 3a in his FS, which was overall pretty good even with him running out of steam at the end. It likely wasn't the debut he wanted but I'd understand if he isn't gutted.

19. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Russian men are a mess right now, and it's hard to tell how long it will be before we see the next Plushenko or the next Yagudin. I would even settle for the next Urmanov (no offense meant; I actually liked Urmanov, but he was not in the same league as EP and AY).

20. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

Did anyone else notice the incredibly unflattering photo of Leonova on Icenetwork's front page? The Good (photo of Davis and White), The Bad (photo of Chan slapping his forehead), and Ugly (Leonova). I'm nowhere near a fan but was that really necessary? :lol:

21. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

Didn't see this posted anywhere but Ivan Bich and Camilla Gainetdinova have ended their partnership. She moved back to Moscow.

Sources fskate.ru and fsonline.ru.

22. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Oh no! Mind you, I found their performance at junior worlds disappointing. In 2012 they placed 11th at junior worlds (they were the lowest scoring pair from Russia), in 2013 they were 8th (again the lowest scoring pair from Russia). At the JGP they didn't do very well either, they were 4th and 7th and did not get to JGPF (whereas three other Russian pairs did get to JGPF and all three pairs medalled at JGPF). Their results wouldn't be bad for most other countries, but it is sort of underachieving for Russian junior pairs. It must have been hard to trying to get through Fedorova/Miroshkin, Tarasova/Morozov, Davankova/ Deputat, and Vygalova/Zakroev.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  23. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

the height similarities killed it :fragile:
    won't be long before Davankova/Deputat follows they are plagued by injuries and she grew alot :wuzrobbed but I still love them

only Fedorova/Miroshkin are almost certain to not have height similarity problems

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  24. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

You never know. There are some pairs where the height difference is very similar to each other and they still are managing somehow. For example Zhang-Zhang (Chinese) were managing pretty well. (I know she did retire now - or was made to retire, but I wouldn't write a pair off only because Davankova grew. Deputat may have a group spur too...)

25. love_skate2011

Deputat is turning 20, I doubt guys get growth spurt at that age

Miroshkin oth is still 18 and approaching 6 ft tall, Fedorova is only 4' inch something, can't get a height similarity with that

the Zhnags ended their partnership because she outgrew him
    I can see Wenjing Sui creeping into that too with midget Cong Han

26. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

There is also some Canadian pair (I think they placed quite high in junior worlds) where they is no height difference nearly at all. I am not denying that having a height difference is an advantage, but there are pairs that are managing without.

27. love_skate2011

28. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

As I said, I am not disputing that it is easier to do pairs when there is a big height difference. My point was just that some elite couples are not as lucky as having the height difference between them and they seem to be managing without. They may not be at the top of seniors, but Purdy/Marinaro can still do triple twist whereas a lot of pairs at senior level even with the height difference advantage can't do triple twist. So the height difference, although advantage, is not everything.

29. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

30. love_skate2011

could be but outgrow ? I don't think, she is 4'6 I don't think that will shoot to a 6 feet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lina_Fedorova
    Davankova was 13 when they were at junior worlds lat season sos he was bound to grow
    Fedorova is already 15, she is like Tuk who is naturally just short,

with that said of course Pairs break ups are not only because of outgrowing of a male partner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.