From Russia With Love - Autumn 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

D&D - I hadn't watched them from the JGP yet. Can't say I love it. I do see that the lifts look weird, but can someone explain exactly what the change is?

V&T - Wonderful expression from both, very musical, and I'm seeing more transitions. At least it's a different version of Godfather, but no one can tell this story like Candeloro (which to be fair I don't think they were trying to do, but then why not use a better piece of jazz?). I would love this if it were anyone but them, but I am always left feeling that they could do something better. I mean they're so new, yet it's probably their penultimate season already, and I want a masterpiece!

B&S - Definitely better from the judges' side. Love how he stays in character. But overall I'm not convinced.

Plush - A pleasure to see him skate to real classical music again. I loved the fluidity to some of his movements and I really liked his "choreographic sequence" or whatever it's called (I guess they had to make it a requirement to force him to have any choreo ;)). He even did a Sasha Cohen HMV type move, LOL! Really great light and shade and variation of tone in this program. I like it so much, I have a feeling he'll dump it by Euros. :p I don't know why he says this is his first 4sal, I thought he did one at a Russian Cup Event a few years ago. Anyway, it's been a while, so I'm impressed that at this age he's basically adding a new jump to his repertoire, while keeping his immaculate triple axel, which I swear looks better than when he was young. He looks to be in such great shape, I selfishly really wish he would do at least Cup of Russia. :(

Gachinsky - I liked it, I see the improvement, but I agree that the program will change, and not for the better, and when all he's left with is the music, it will be boring.

2. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

I like V/T SP better than their Evanesence

you forgot another Russian overused music for this season " Witch Doctor "
    :lynch:

3. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Just watched Zhingashina & Sinitsin and really enjoyed it. The two halves are really disjointed, but they're really entertaining, both of them. Wish they could somehow link them better, but it's a very fun program.

4. love_skate2011

Wasn't there a change in lift rule for junior also ?
    the first lift was ugly

5. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

I didn't like V/T short at all :shuffle: Don't know why.

6. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Very un plushenko program. None of the arm flailing until the last music cut. I don't know how I feel about it. I was expecting a masterpiece to Romeo and Juliet and got this. It's not bad, just not what I think he's capable of.

7. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Stolbova and Klimov have the first lift I haven't hated this year! I like the Addams family free and I hope she can get a hold of her jumps soon. I really appreciate how they consistently produce really original programs :)

I like Adelina's SP, too. Axel aside, the jumps were very well done and it really shows off her power.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  8. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

9. Macassar88

Vera looks stunning as always, but I think she looks better in lighter colors. And I hope that they give Yuri someone better to wear. He's boring enough as it is and an all black costume would have no connection to her dress.

10. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

11. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Vera looks like she could snap in half. She gets skinnier every year :( But it's not a bad program; though it's pretty much par for the course for them.

I hope this is a practice outfit for Yuri. I don't think it goes with her outfit at all.

12. love_skate2011

I actually liked their SP even if Dreams of Love is overused music

I think Larionov is wearing a skating " all black" practice costume
    like the some other russian teamsare wearing like Adelina and Puskash/Guerreiro.

I don't think he'll be skating in all black

13. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Adelina is my sentimental favorite of the Russian ladies. Her jumps looked strong overall. I really hope this is her year to shine and she's moved past her nerves from last season. I can't wait for the GP series to start. :cheer2:

14. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think you are some future version of me. It's creepy how we like the exact same things from skating to killer whales :eek:

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  16. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

17. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

18. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

It's official: the strong jumps and the spark do not make up for the awful music. :scream:

I think it will become tolerable if she would just cut out some of the opening howling and the one in the middle - why howl during a layback spin?

Honestly though, the program is starting to grow on me. :scream:

19. love_skate2011

get a disconnect, when she lands he jumps the music doesnt get a connection at all. whoever did this , does anyone know ? an we fire/him her or get him/her banned from making programs , I cant take that christina screams :(

20. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Her skating is much better than in the previous test skate, but the program (music) is still awful. But she is landing more jumps than two weeks ago. So in another two three weeks it may be completely ready. In some programs the voice may be enhancement but here I wish there would be no voice at all...

21. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

22. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I wonder why is her LP only 3 mins 10 long?

23. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

J. Plushenko looks different in this program, he was smiling a lot during the performance. Overall, a softer look. The Romeo and Juliet program went in that direction as well. He pointed out that the program is still raw and needs to be polished a lot. Hopefully he'll do that. Good for him to go for the quad Salchow again after so many years. Axel as strong as ever.
    He won't take part in tomorrow's last test skate, he said.

A. Gachinski I liked that one. I didn't recognize the music. This program has potential, hopefully his jumps will get more consistent.

A. Sotnikova The voice is distracting, I agree with many other posters. But Adelina sells her program well and she looks matured and grown up. She also said that she feels more grown up. :)

E. Bobrova/D. Soloviev I wish they would have kept the original version of their music, that is without the Tosca part, but in general I like the changes and improvements to their skating. They really do look different.

24. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

It could be worse, they could all be using the Edvin Marton version. :scream:

Loved Volosozhar/Trankov's program. :swoon:

25. senorita

senorita New Member

Did he tell you he will keep this program with 100 music cuts instead of Miyamoto's? I cant believe this is not just for test skates and he abandoned R&J for good :/ that looked like a real program.

Where is Liza?

26. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

Liza was injured, but back on the ice.

M/K Free dance day 3

27. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

T. Volosozhar/M. Trankov SP Godfather jazz version
    A new and different style for them, like that much better than last year's SP. Back to throw triple loop in the SP (good choice) and add 3S instead of 3T. They said that they moved the 3T into the second half of the FS and do the 3S in combination.

V. Bazarova/J. Larionov SP
    "Liebestraum" a little generic. Replaced throw triple flip with throw triple loop.

K. Stolbova/F. Klimov SP
    "Interview with a vampire", cool program and ideas, not clean yet. Maxim Trankov praised them. :)

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  28. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

It sort of was, but I want to see him in competition before I pass judgment, he seems to really shine there.

They can do so much more than what they were given. I hope this wasn't the skate that Morozov said he was saving that no one else could do :yikes: I guess I'll have to wait to see if the free skate blows me away, if not the German's new programs may be good enough this year to win again.

Not everyones lifts were ugly, I don't know why some were so bad and some not. I think S/K have the best short programs so far this season of the pairs, I hope they can execute them well.

Same old boring stuff as usual; they don't do anything to set themselves apart and with as good as the Canadians are getting and maybe D/C they may lose footing in the standings unless their free skate is stellar.

29. Macassar88

I agree with this - although I understand the need to make the change to something with a bit more excitement, I don't know why Tosca was necessary. Did TAT say that they had to use Tosca? Because if she did then I understand because they don't want to be panned by TAT and the Russian fed.

30. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Her improvement in these 2 weeks is amazing. Is her opening lutz supposed to be a 3/3? Lutz/loop or lutz/toe? 7 triples and 2 2axels is going to be very competitive content. Now she needs to fix her spins...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.