From Russia With Love - Autumn 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Soloviev has divorced and is now with Ksenia Stolbova

2. martyross

martyross New Member

well, is it really a shocking news that a 14 years old has no artistry and musicality yet? or do we expect her to skate like a mature 25 year older? i hope people know how difficult is to emote while doing all sort of technical difficulties. it takes years of training before mastering everyting.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

There are 14-year-olds who might not be fully formed, but have the signs of the artist they'll become as young as that. Sasha Cohen, for example, was one who showed it quite early, even if she never had the technical facility that Lipnitskaia has now. Ice dancers often show signs of that spark at a very young age.

4. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Her capabity already far exceeds her age. However, I feel it's way too pre-mature to hype her up as a potential Sochi contender like many have. Once she learns to gain more power, musicality and maturity, she will likely be able to dominate (or co-dominate) the ladies in the next quad, probably along with Sotnikova, Tuk, Polina K and Radionova.

(and what kwanfan said - phenoms like Kwan, Lipinski, Kim, Asada already showed much star quality at 14)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  5. love_skate2011

agree, people are hammering her like all she has is flexibility which is completely false because Julia is very talented, I was impressed by her drive and how she was pissed off and unhappy at K&C, she wants to Win !, people are not giving her credit that Julia has handled the senior and pressure really well for a 14 year old

6. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

She must be psychic because the mistakes she made on her first 2 jumping passes were JUST enough to bump her down from gold to silver. :p

7. martyross

martyross New Member

yea to me she's not boring to watch at all! i like the strong spirit she shows in her skating, something i've always loved in Ashley. i enjoy seeing skaters with strong personality. i also find she's improved a lot from last year. the SP reminded me of Irina S. pure power is enjoyable as opposed to lyricism and gracefulness that is a more common route for ladies. i like her, she's tough!

8. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

9. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Lol they kept the voiceovers
    Although I have to say that, even without the voiceovers, it feels lacking in transitions and non-element choreography.

10. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

It has a nice buildup emotionally but it really is god-awful. I expect their scores to go up though because their skating does look improved. They have a lot more flow and speed over the ice. But yeah... pass.

But on the flip side, after viewing this program I instantly liked Fusar-Poli/Margaglio's 2001 FD a lot more and am now at peace with that program winning a world title. :shuffle:

11. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

And they scored 102 points for THAT? :rolleyes:
    Generally they have good flow, yes, but they need to work on unison in the step sequences, they looked laboured and skated too far apart.
    Plus, the music is a hot mess, choreo almost non-existent. They deserve much better.

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

ugh, that was almost unwatchable.

13. casken

casken Well-Known Member

God that is depressing. I think that program has less original in between choreography than D&W's FD. A pretty impressive feat indeed.

14. love_skate2011

Burn Morozov :soapbox:

on a good side, some really nice pictures of Soloviev and Stolbova on their instagrams

15. znhurston

znhurston Member

They certainly do!

16. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

This! Julia is fantastic. Sure she can work on some stuff, but I enjoy her a lot and hate reading all the comments about how she is the most clunky, awkward, unmusical skater ever. It's like I'm watching totally different programs.

Lol it's like a junior high Disney on Ice production. Oh God, WHY?

17. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Now I know to not bother to try to watch it. Thank you :) (Delhi hotel has remarkably constant wifi, but slow, so watching vids is a bit iffy).

18. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Sadly, that is true. It will be interesting to see if it is any better live. I simply loathe the music, too. What a waste of talent.:(

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

It was like an exhibition program. Maybe they will change it?

20. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

Oh. I wish I&K would have stayed with Sasha Zhulin .... What a horrible FD :(

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  21. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I wish they went to Spilband...

22. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

OMG NO WAY !!!! Not that. Even that would be just awfull. I'd rather have them with Mozov.

23. morqet

morqet Active Member

I would be interested to know why everyone thinks it's such a disaster - I hate the music, especially once the talking kicks in, but I think the choreo seems alright; last minute or so needs refining but I'd say it's a step up from lsat seasons effort.

24. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

The voice over-parts gives me such acute embarrassment by proxy that I couldn't really watch it, but the first bit seems alright, even if I'm no fan of the music. The voice overs though :yikes:

25. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

I agree, I would be interested to read what people think why this dance is not good. I personally haven't decided yet what to think about it. They look powerful and fast, but maybe because the program is a little empty. The scene with the shooting to me is indeed unwatchable, but the first small dialog felt interesting and fresh. I guess we will see in a few days what it looks like in good quality.

26. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I personally like the dance. The music is grating as is, but wouldn't be so bad if they'd take out the spoken stuff.

27. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

As of right now I prefer last year's because it at least had a few memorable things for me like the mirror twizzles and the straightline lift with her parallel to the ice.

Of course we have yet to really see the Ghost FD in closeup/TV quality so it's hard to say. As others have said, it's quite empty. This is like the type of generic program that Chock/Bates would do (but at least they have good music, so sorry, MarieM, I too think Shpilband would be an improvement!). The costumes are dull and shapeless which does not add to the overall impression. The lifts are very blah and look recycled or at least variations on their previous moves. I am surprised if these are level 4 and if they are, credit to Morozov for finding what appears to be the easiest route to level 4. It's not just that the voiceovers are bad but the actual choreography during the speaking parts is really bad too; they just kind of wave their arms around and emote. I just can't believe this is the same team that showed the depth of expression that they did in Schindler's List. It's like they've regressed from senior to novice, program wise. I've never seen anything like it in skating to be honest.

28. martyross

martyross New Member

choreography is totally generic, nothing new and impressive, just the basic language of ice dance, trite romantic theme seen millions of times. use of some catchy elevator music with added voices that makes it look pretentious, a cheap way to cover the banality of it all with fake "innovation". Morozov's lack of talent is embarassing. but the kids are good, and this stuff will gather lots of points. after all, winning doesn't require presenting something special. one can fake some simple romantic feelings and get 8,75 in interpretation just because the other PC marks are already high. all that matters is that they're Russian and they must be pushed to the podium, who cares about the rest?

29. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

Disappointing program from Ilinikh-Katsalapov

I agree, how they were so good at the junior level and just regressed while going to senior?

:(

30. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I like I&K as skaters so I watched it a few times without the music just to see the movement and choreography without the distraction of the soundtrack. The choreography is also disappointing, no interesting movement, no beautiful movements, I failed to gain anything positive from just watching them skate. I also found that the soundtrack (and all that is going on in the soundtrack) adds to the illusion they are doing more with their skating and moving quicker, without the noise I found it to drag in parts. So there is no interesting choreography there and they aren't really doing anything that any other top ten team can do, their lifts are unimpressive: add that horrible soundtrack and I just can NOT understand what Morozov was thinking because this man has gone on record stating that if they don't medal this year he is done with icedance.

I can't decide if he is serious with this program? Is it a joke he is playing on us? On I&K? Or whether he has something to prove about ice dance ie..if THAT program gets this team a medal at Worlds it can only be due to corruption.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.