From Russia With Love - Autumn 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I don't understand the " off season". What do you think?

2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

The time between seasons

3. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Thank you, obviously:duh:

4. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

BS finished in third in the SD. However, their GOE and PCS were both higher than Weaver and Poje - they just have to get their YP up to the same level as the rest.

5. Macassar88

6. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

7. Macassar88

8. shan

shan Well-Known Member

The google translation cracks me up.

Bobrova in response to how the FD went at CoC...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  9. Macassar88

I liked the part where they asked her about her previous costumes and how she talked about her lack of input.
    Also the part where she talks about her nails - I feel like in Ice Dance the partners should be able to hold each other gently enough that nails wouldn't get in the way of anything.

10. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Translation:

Elena Vaitsekhovskaya (EV): How much of an of effort did this skate cost you?

Dmitry Soloviev (DS): It was harder than in America. Probably because there Katya and I had absolutely nothing to lose. In China, there was a hope we could make the Grand Prix Final. It was impossible not to think about it, thoughts like that would constantly appear in my head and distract from skating. Probably it was the reason we couldn't go all out in the short dance.

EV: And in the free?

DS: In the free I tried to clear my head from everything already at the morning practice. It helped.

EV: Katya, how did you cope?

Ekaterina Bobrova (EB): Skating today was difficult for me for several reasons. I will not talk about them, but when our coach Alexander Zhulin saw me at the morning practice, he immediately understood my state. And he said, "Katya, you skated this free program so many times that you can just forget you are skating at competition. Just another run-through, just as usual." Those words meant a lot for my peace of mind.

EV: Was skating in China more difficult for you than skating in the U.S., like it was for Dmitry?

EB: Yes. In America, our skating was easier and with more freedom. And more emotional.

DS: I think now it will be getting easier for us. Too much depended on our first two performances.

EV: You were not discouraged by placing third in the short dance?

DS: No.

EB: Actually, this was third competition in a row for us - with weekly intervals. We have never skated like that before: I don't remember ever competing three times in a row in 13 years that we skate together. On the other hand, it keeps us in good shape, we do not lose competitive form. Although if you think about it, it was quite difficult: first we competed in Finland, then in the U.S., and now in China - so many flights and time zone changes. It was also a valuable experience.

EV: Your scores in the free dance in Shanghai were lower than in the U.S.. What do you feel about it?

DS: I had a feeling it will be like that even before the score appeared.

EV: Were you, at least to some degree, afraid you would not be able to leave the Canadians behind for the second time this season?

DS: I wasn't.

EB: I thought about it, to be honest. But I told myself that I won't be upset however this turned out. I am satisfied with the quality of our skate, we did it well once again, our coach also said he was satisfied, and that, if you think about it, is no less important than our placement.

EV: What was going on in your mind when you started preparing for this season? At the World Championships you got quite a slap in the face, placing seventh.

EB: In Nice it was my own fault. I gave it away.

EV: It's all true, but what I mean is that ice dance is such a sport where you can give it away only once, and then suffer the consequences until the end of your career. When you had made the decision to switch from Elena Kustarova to Alexander Zhulin, didn't you have a feeling that it was already too late?

DS: I did. After all that had been said about us last season, I understood that everyone had virtually given up on Katya and me. And we wanted to prove that it was too early. That we do not give up no matter what.

We had doubts when we already started training in Zhulin's group. On the one hand, I realized that we had skated together for so long and it will make some things easier for us. On the other, we had to change too much. So we were afraid that our intentions would not be taken seriously.

EV: You came to the new coaches as highly decorated team that knew its worth. And you were offered to "change everything." Didn't you deed down have at least a brief objections about that?

DS: No. We gave ourselves fully to Sasha and Oleg Volkov. As you can say, with knowing consent.

EB: After the very first practices I realized that it was a completely different level of work that we were never used to. Our former coaches Elena Kustarova and Svetlana Alexeeva gave us very much and I will always be grateful to them for that. But that was another team, other tasks - everything was different. It's such a pleasure to come to practice, it is impossible to put into words. I started craving skating like a crazy. It compensated for all the doubts. I am very happy that we did this step. And we discovered a lot with that.

EV: The last two seasons, it seemed to me that you did not want to change anything in your skating. You were really criticized by all and sundry. Did you realize that you were wasting time?

EB: We talked about it with our former coaches many times. We told them that we wanted to change our skating style, our image drastically. To her credit, Kustarova tried to do everything she could for us. Sending us to St Petersburg, inviting new choreographers.

DS: Probably the thing is that it was done from time to time - very randomly. For changes to become evident, you have to work all the time, every day. Only then you can really change something, so that it will seen by others.

EV: You and Katya are actually reckless people: you come to new coaches, handsome and beautiful as you are, and the coach offers you to portray a demented couple in the free dance. Did you agree at once, or did you have doubts about it?

DS: Zhulin narrated the idea of the free dance so interestingly that we agreed without hesitation.

EB: Initially Sasha offered us two variants. We liked the one that was eventually chosen. The dance somehow fit well with our emotions. Working on it has been a pleasure.

DS: Even when something did not work in practice, there was no tension. Zhulin is great for solving tension. Like, it doesn't work? What do you mean? You skate just magnificently for Monday!

EV: Katya, there is a common perception in ballet and dance that female partner should have "small" head - smooth hair, tight low bun. You skate with your hair down. Doesn't it feel uncomfortable?

EB: Not at all. I wanted to change this bun with which skated all my life, for something completely different for a long while. And makeup.

EV: Excuse me, but what's with this legend circulating in the fandom about you adoring false lashes and blue eyeshadows?

EB: No one really asked me whether I liked it or not. When skating costumes were brought to the ice rink, my job was to stand with outstretched arms like a doll, and wait until the fitting was over. It never occurred to me to say "no". Long skirt - ok, long skirt. High collar - ok, high collar. Feathers in hair - ok, feathers in hair. Just now I realized how great it is when the coach listens to you when you say what you want. Whatever it is.

EV: In diving, when athletes enter the water, they join hands with such force that their fingers always have nail marks. In ice dance, I know, athletes also use strong grip. And you, Katya, have long nails. How do you deal with them?

EB: I don't know. Many girls cut their nails very short exactly because of fear to hurt the partner. I never once scratched Dima even in training. Even at the time when I skated with false nails, which were twice as long.

EV: What if the next season Zhulin offers you to cut your hair short, will you agree?

EB: No problem! Hair is not head. It will grow back!

EV: You said at the press conference that between those three competitions there was not enough time to correct mistakes. Now you have a whole month. What will you work on in the first place?

DS: The polka. To make it impossible to find anything wrong in any element. It's nonsense: in America we get level four and three, and in Shanghai the same elements become level three and two. Therefore, we have to work very seriously on steps. Speed of skating also needs work. We do have enough time now to add something, and to remove something.

EV: When you skate a program at the event, can you tell by your feelings during your skate what levels you would get on your step sequences, for example?

DS: I can. Of course, judging panels are different, but I regard this very simply, as I said: you have to skate so well that it would be impossible to find anything wrong in your skate.

EB: I was especially upset with level two step sequence. I tried to complete each movement, moreover, I kept in mind everything we were told after Skate America. And there they told us that the step sequence lacked just one step to make it level four. I thought I got all the step right. And then - level two... But it happens.

EV: Have you ever cried because of your results?

EB: Yes, more than once. I am generally a very emotional person. And I think that if you are upset - not necessarily because of the sports results - there is nothing wrong with not keeping emotions to yourself.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  11. Macassar88

Thanks so much for the translation! Much better than google translate!

12. Macassar88

To anyone who posts on FSonline.ru, I've been lurking there for a while, and I've seen talk about how Zhulin may think that Christopher Buchanan was trying to screw over Bobrova and Soloviev (Probably because of their low base tech marks which didn't end up affecting anything). Anyone know anything more about this? I haven't seen a source, but I know that Zhulin was quoted saying that he felt like Bobrova and Soloviev should have won.

He also said "В Шанхае ситуация по судейству была очень сложная, но ребят проявили себя здорово."
    which according to google translate, means In Shanghai, for judging the situation was very complicated, but the guys have proven great.

http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/5927.html

13. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Thanks for the interview translation, I admire them a lot for their hard work and dedicating themselves to improving. They have a wonderful humbleness about them and yet they have the strive to win, too. I have always liked them and am happy to see them having more success.

14. caseyedwards

He doesn't want to sound like kustarova and all her "b/s are doing level 4 they are just not being called level 4" stuff. That's why they left her.

15. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

Thankfully that's not what he said. :) He said that they were first according to the audience reaction, not that they should have won the competition. He did say he wasn't impressed with P/B free dance though.

16. Macassar88

I feel like that combo says that he feels like they maybe should have won. (Not going to say how I feel about the results since that's not really the topic)
    Kind of like how at worlds last year, people were saying that Davis and White should have won because they got a bigger standing ovation and that Virtue and Moir's FD wasn't that good. (Again, not trying to start a fight - just putting out the opinions of many posters here and in other forums because it is similar IMO to what Zhulin said)

17. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I mean I'm not exactly impressed with P&B's FD either, and what he said is not terrible, but it is sad when a former coach slags their old students when they parted on such good terms as Zhulin and P&B did.

18. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

I see what you mean. No, I don't want to start the fight either :) I guess I wanted to clarify that he said something about the audience reaction that can probably be interpreted differently, but not "we should have won" outright. Also some posters already started comparing his words with Kustarova who always blamed the judges and I thought this would be an important correction, that's all :)

To Cherub721: yes, that part I wasn't happy about either, but my interpretation was that he thinks P/B deserve better material.

19. Macassar88

Well Cup of Russia is this weekend - let's see if IK can get their 70+ SD and 100+ FD! :rofl:

20. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Good interview. They both sound very level headed and self aware.

21. martyross

martyross New Member

i wonder if seeing how well BobSoloviev are doing, the Russian fed will change tune and go for them instead of I-K. after all B-S are much more mature, experienced and show a strong will to work and improve. they are on the rise. on a minor side, they have beautiful programs that capture the audience and are well received by the judges, who place them higher than WP on PCS. i kind of doubt that IK programs will have the same impact.

22. caseyedwards

It all depends on the worlds of b/s. If they flop there a third time no way!

23. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Sorry but I don't resist asking this: Wasn't Dmitry Soloviev married and with a child?
    If you look at his FB it seems he's together with Ksenia Stolbova.

Anyway, B&S FD is growing on me but I'm still not to convinced with the Tosca music mixed with Ennio Morricone.
    Hope Ilinykh & Katsalapov show good programs at the Cup of Russia and I'm super curious about their scores :p

24. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

^Was is the key word there. He and Stolbova are together now ;)

25. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Ok. I had missed that one lool. They make a really cute couple :)

26. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

Wow, is that really true? When did this happen?

27. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

^Don't know but everywhere you look there are photos of the two of them, twitter, instagram, facebook. On their formspring they said the other person makes them happy. Cute :swoon:

28. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I am sort of glad for Lipnitskaya's loss in China. She still has so much to work on. Her flow was horrible and is in my opinion one of the major issues she will have to address if she is to have any shot at Sochi. Another issue is the very visible lack of maturity and musicality. Everyone is drawing Cohen analogies but for me the more immediate analogy is Zhang really (and that's not a good thing).

29. caseyedwards

I don't think there's any need to lose to learn! I think the 64 PCS for Mao and 57 for Lipnitskaia clearly indicated huge and severe problems Lipnitskaia has.

30. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

The icenetwork videos from Skate Canada are up, and I must say, watching the ladies programs again, I am feeling more optimistic about Tuk and as for Shelepen, she has regressed a lot, seemed very sloppy, but it was very noticeable that she was skating very slowly and gingerly, kind of limping, as she got off the ice for both programs, so I'm thinking she's probably battling some kind of injury and that was likely why she didn't care about her scores being so low. Hopefully she will improve later in the season, but I noticed particularly how slow her spins are, some of her positions she hits in them are nice/flexible, but they just all seemed so slow and labored, as did her overall skating. To me she definitely looks to have grown taller, though perhaps she's just filled out and the costumes with the long skirts and white boots give the illusion of her being taller than before. I admire her gutsiness going for all those 3-3s but she has a lot of work to do ATM.

As for Tuk I didn't realize how strong of a FS she had, it was really quite good. The fall on the 2nd lutz was nasty, but the first lutz was a beauty, and even though some of the other triples looked small/tight, the 2a-3t in the 2nd half of the program looked really good. Plus on that video, it seems like her puberty issues/growth spurt is maybe a couple inches in height and then some weight gained in her lower body - mostly the legs, which could just be due to increased strength training as it looks like muscle weight and not really a drastic change to her physique as some seemed to think. So I think she is still very much in the mix to shake things up at Nationals and go to Euros and Worlds this season, maybe even medal there. Time will tell but considering her injury I thought she was skating pretty well. And comparing her to Julia even with the injury and puberty struggles her jumps are still better technique wise and at least a little bigger (the 2a in particular). The thing I noticed the most about Julia watching that FS where she "struggled" is that her jumps are sort of at a standstill, not a lot of flow coming out. She does a good job making her jump exits neat and tidy (when the jumps are straight in the air), but she doesn't get a good running edge out and doesn't carry a lot of speed into the jump, which makes me worry about what will happen when puberty hits. The technique is solid enough but right now she's relying on quick rotation to get around and is really muscling those jumps, which also makes me worry about injuries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.