From Russia With Love - Autumn 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I dont know where Tut is....
    When I look out cloudy chilly and rainy for the last day at least and also yesterday morning!!

2. anna1506

anna1506 New Member

Tuk: "...my main rival is always myself."
    Plu: "My main competitor is myself"
    :)

3. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I feel like its the same story since I&K moved to seniors. I&K show up looking rusty with questionable programs at the beginning of the season, lots of :drama: from fans and I&K eventually getting stronger as the season progresses. Stronger, but IMO they never seem to quite hit their peak. I'm always left with the feeling that there is some hidden potential that is never quite reached.

I'm not a big fan of the Ghost exhibition program. I can only hope that exhibition is in fact an exhibition and nothing like their FD. :shuffle:

4. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Now can someone please, PLEASE take a spoonful of their confidence and feed it to Artur?

5. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I know. :( And I feel the same about V&T who are also choreographed by Morozov. I seem to like them a little bit less every year. :(

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  6. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Alas, me too. V/T are my personal disappointment of the year, because they are incredible, but I just cannot care without the programs that I like. Maybe the programs will grow on me, especially the LP, but I hoped this year would be "a year of experiment" for them, because surely they are not going to add a whole lot of innovative transitions in Olympic year.
    Oh well. Looking forward to everybody in SC, happy for Martiusheva/Rogonov getting NHK ( though wish Narumi's shoulder were OK)

7. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Don't misunderstand! Look at this video, Plush said a long time ago :) But i understand what he is thinking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVGRZLmIEIw

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  8. Glacier cat

Glacier cat Member

No. Plushy said it always. Even in recent days ;) To think the main rival is himself/herself is a Mishin's principle. Gachinski also says the same way.

9. reut

reut Active Member

This is a standard answer you get from almost every skater especially when they want to be politically correct. My only rival is myself, the only thing I can do is do my best, the rest is to for me to decide, etc, etc.

10. misskarne

I think, though, that the difference is that Plushy believes it. He knows he is great, he knows he is a fantastic skater, he truly believes in his own skating and his own worth. Artur tries to talk the talk like Plushy does, but I don't think he believes it. I don't think he really believes that he is so wonderful, I don't think he really believes in himself.

It makes me sad, because he is such a wonderful skater. :(

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Hm... really. If I right remember....

12. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

13. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Five Russian men competed today and gachinski was 4th in TES. Different competitions of course so there is that! Third in free skate score

14. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Not surprised at all - despite all his talk about how Monko and Khaliavin are equals to Bobrova and Soloviev, it's never been the case, and he's treated the two of them quite differently. Look at their respective dances and the choreography in each. Bobrova and Soloviev have Zhulin's A work and Monko and Khaliavin have his C work.
    Not that I mind - Bobrova and Soloviev are much better all around and deserve Zhulin's attention more since they actually have a chance to medal at Sochi.

15. love_skate2011

nvm, Monko/Khaliavin won the Free Dance, I prefer Stargina/Volobuiev
    M/K I think they have problem also with height she is even taller than him now !

sad Tuk Tuk only finished 4th, but she was fighting in her FS
    good enough placement coming from an injury imo

16. zotza

zotza allergic to brainless skaters

Unfortunately Monko/Khaliavin are not doing that well and I honestly don't expect them to do better at this point.She looks bigger than him,and maybe they're not so easy to work with and has fast results,especially with the current rules in ice dancing.
    And I didn't like all the talk especially in Russian forums about how they're better than B/S and at least equal.I guess they have a lot of friends,but instead of their fans whining all over the net they should see at the eye of the problem.
    I'm not sure she's taller than him,but Denkova/Stavisky didn't have a height difference and still managed to be as good as they were with tonz of hard work.And I'm not even a fan,by a longshot.
    At this point and after seeing R/T last night...Maybe Sinitsina/Zhiganzin will get the third place in the team.I was completely disappointed by R/T.I don't know what's wrong,they're good individual skaters,but when you skate to the Godfather you can't act pretty,as Ilia did and you can't beautify like this all your moves.Katia was always my problem in the team,but last night I actually saw glimpses of that Katia who was skating with Guerreiro.

17. love_skate2011

I don't think Sinitsina/Zhiganshin can become Russian No.3 this season R/T will still be on same position and they medaled in the GP
    I hope S/Z leave Kustarova and Alexeeva soon

Polina K.'s Long Program: , she won Cup of Nice :cheer2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1CWUWtHLVQ&feature=plcp

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Well said. An athlete has to truly believe it in his/her heart. Words don't mean a thing if you don't believe them.

19. MissIzzy

MissIzzy Active Member

Ksenia Makarova just shown on NBC right now and even only seeing part of her long I'm so sad. I'd much rather see that program at Worlds than Sotnikova's, but what are the chances of it happening? :fragile:

20. caseyedwards

Less than 50%. Makarova can get good sp scores and sometimes it is surprising how much that helps her considering her free skate involves loops, toes, and salchows for triples!

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Gachinsky's had the pressure on him since he was 11 or 12 to be the next Plushenko, at a time when there was a talent gap due to the collapse of the post-Soviet development system.

22. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Artur has the talent, but he's missing the fire. Mishin can't teach that. A skater has it or they don't. They've already withdrawn him from his next event. I'm assuming they'll cite injury, but they have bigger issues to solve. I feel sorry for him because it must be frustrating.

Tuk has the determination to succeed and did very well coming off an injury and being in the middle of a growth spurt. It's so easy to forget how young she and Adelina are and to picture where they will be by 2018. Experience and maturity can make great results. Kostner is proof.

23. love_skate2011

agreed after Liza had her disaster SP, she went on to fight on her FS, her look after her FS says it all she was satisfied and determined.

Artur withdrew from his next GP ?, well there is definitely an alarm when you get beaten by a Vornov and Menshov in national competitions
    and your score cant even reach 200 points.

Plushy has all their bullets now though I hope they pass some maybe to Kovtun ?

24. caseyedwards

I thought he should WD because the skater who placed 2nd at Euros is not who has been skating for the last 2 months or even before that at worlds is Nice.

I guess Kovtun is going to be like Makarova do JrGP and then go Senior. She went from JRGP to Russian Champion to the Olympics to final group at worlds.

25. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Kovtun has the best chances to become Russia's #2 atm since Gachinski is struggling so much. I feel really sorry for Artur :(

26. lulu

lulu New Member

Good point, that is a lot of pressure for anyone to be under. :( Anyway, it is still the beginning of the season...

27. misskarne

:( I can't even begin to imagine the pressure. Being constantly told that you have to be the next Plushenko, that you have to save the glory of the sport in Russia, then winning a bronze Worlds medal your first senior season...it's unsurprising that he might have been crushed under the weight of expectation. But still very sad.

I don't think Artur is missing the fire. I just don't think he's able to use it because he's constantly looking over his shoulder, constantly hearing about PlushenkoPlushenkoPlushenko, "Plushenko would do this", "You have to be the next Plushenko" etc etc. He idolises Plushenko but I don't think he's quite got a grip on seperating that idolisation and the pressure to be him, and how to be his own skater and skate for himself.

Artur has been withdrawn from CoR? I had heard he has a back injury (which would explain the god-awful catch-foot position, I know he's capable of a much nicer one than that), but I can't imagine yanking him from his next GP is such a good idea in terms of his confidence. But then again, too, his next GP was in Russia, where I can imagine he would be under one heck of a microscope.

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Gachinski is still listed for Rostelecom Cup on the ISU site; Artur Dmitriev has withdrawn from Cup of China (would have been his GP debut).

29. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Petaikina and Bezmaternikh won the third stage of the Russian Cup in Samara. The most interesting thing about the competition was who they beat. I hope Bezmaternikh found a partner he can have success with.

1. Petaikina/Konstantin Bezmaternikh - 157.17
    2. Martyusheva/Rogonov - 154.70

30. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Liza is the most introverted competitor/performer I've ever seen. Not sure this trait can be undone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.