From Russia With Love - Autumn 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

For these complaining about the judges seeing B&S's progress, check out the protocols. Concentrate on the TES:
    They got 4 of 6 key points on the Yankee Polka.
    They got level 3 on the steps.
    And this is the beginning of the year.
    Last year at Worlds in the SD, they got only level 2 on their step (which is pretty much what they got all year)
    and only 3 of 6 key points on the rhumba
    Both times, the twizzles were only level 3.

So they are starting this year on the technical side ahead of where they finished last year.
    I call that progress for sure.
    I'll bet their PCS go up at their next outing at CoC, and they may challenge Pechalat & Bourzat there!

2. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

I wanted Elena/Nikita to solidify as Russia's no. 1, but that hideous OTT FD, is just soo....
    I guess B/S could still lead and stay at the top as Russian No. 1, I will have to look more on Stepanova/Bukin next season

3. Proustable

Proustable New Member

W/P are also at China, so it should be interesting.

4. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

5. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I just posted my disbelief and disgust over I&K's programs in another thread but I'll take it here.

The ridiculousness of the FD has been pretty well covered, but the SD...

It really doesn't matter what the music/style is when all the choreography happens while standing in place, and the rest of the program is just them skating around without any attention to the music. There was nothing choreographically going on between the twzzles and the sbs sequence.

For real though. I just got done criticizing it, but B&S's porgram is a masterpiece compared to this crap.

You were saying. :p

6. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

After the splat-fest that was Skate America, I'm just a little nervous for Artur at Skate Canada this week...come on boy, cause an upset, I know you can.

7. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I/K FD. I find it almost unwatchable. What is Morozov doing with people whom I considered absolute stars just over a year ago... In a recent interview, though, they said that the muisc for their FD is being written; so i assume they are doing the same trick as last year and skating to a different music in competitions. Or so I hope. Morozov must be tone- deaf, and if they do not change music for smth. better I'll be watching I/K on mute.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  8. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

Here's a better video of I/K's FD

Also a better video of their SD

9. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

They had placement improvement- good start

He was weak at the sochi test event hopefully he will be together and outdo menshov's fourth place- which would be his best showing at a gp I think.

10. Macassar88

Also had a tech score increase - similar GOE (slightly higher) than WP and much higher base value
    Still being held down slightly in PCS IMO.

11. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I hate that Sotnikova lost the silver due to the rules :mad:

The Fed must give them proper coaching on this so that she wouldn't become the female Oda :slinkaway

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I actually think she may not have necessarily beaten Christina has she done a solo 3lo, which has a BV of 5.61 after the halfway point, which is very close to what Christina beat her by, meaning depending on GOE, Christina could have still ended up ahead of Adelina. Adelina likely would have edged her out, but looking at numbers, the result would have been veryyy close indeed.

13. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

I can't believe it's Ghost the Musical either, and that they used those parts. What the heck was Morozov smoking when he decided to use the Ghost-Dude-Gets-Shot scene, complete with dialogue? :yikes:

14. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Just noticed Jemestone's location... is it really true that Berezhnaya is coaching now? That is so cool! Is it in Moskvina's group?

15. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Yes

16. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

That was tweeted about a while ago, anyone is lucky to have her! :cheer2:

17. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

She would have been the perfect coach for Lubov Iliushechkina.

18. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I love I/K's SD! I think I could watch it endlessly. Especially Elena looks so gorgeous in that dress and the program accentuates her eccentric beauty:swoon: But they do need to polish up their pattern dance, it was little messy. As for the FD... Is Morozov losing his touch?! With his dreadful choreography for some singles skaters aside, I thought at least with this team, he would give his best shot and make them a champion as he's been saying so blatantly. I don't know maybe I'm just under this impression because I don't like the music cut at all and it is just their first outing. But seriously:mad:

19. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/5649.html

Elena says in this interview that it wasn't the full version of the FD - fingers crossed that means they have a different music edit for competition.

ETA: She also said they won't be in Nice this week, but instead they're doing a competition in Romania next week and then going back to Novogorsk to train with Denis Samokhin.

20. martyross

martyross Active Member

...because there is at least 1 minute more of talking!
    when i watched the thing for the first time, i thought of the dialogues between Barbie and Ken in Aqua's Barbie Girl.

21. Macassar88

http://rsport.ru/interview/20121022/625091430.html#ixzz2A3LUQhMs
    Article with Maxim Staviski's thoughts on Skate America -
    Basically, he says that he was quite impressed and surprised with how much improvement Bobrova and Soloviev, especially Dimitri, made. He says that Davis and White were overmarked and that he things that both of Bobrova and Soloviev's dances are great. He says that he likes all three SD's from the top teams and that they are all very different. He says that Davis and White's pattern is too small. He says that Bobrova and Soloviev can beat Davis and White based on what he's seen this season both in competition and in practice.

Obviously he has to say amazing things about Bobrova and Soloviev, but I doubt that they will beat Davis and White. That said, I definitely think that, if they keep going after Sochi, they can be gold medal contenders in Pyongchang.

22. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Davis and Whites PCS makes them totally unreachable!! It's not changing it's not going lower 10's are common. No team is going anywhere against them or virtue moir until they are retired! Then dance will go back to the times of cop when all the medalist could be separated by 1,2, or 3 points not 15!!

23. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

Sorry for the correction, but I think he said the opposite - that everyone is too focused on key-points only, but W/P paid attention to the entire pattern, all the steps were performed correctly on good edges.

24. Macassar88

Oops - read it wrong
    Will go back and edit it. That's what I get for speed reading during exam study periods...

25. Macassar88

So I watched the CBC video of the top 3 Dance FD's, and they loved Bobrova and Soloviev. It seemed like Kurt Browning knew that they were going to beat Weaver and Poje after the two teams both skated.
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/video/#id=2295092047
    It's a bit of the way in - pretty good quality too.

26. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

^^ Thanks very much for the link. I found that Canadian commentators did a much better job explaining all the improvements that Bobrova/Soloviev made than the Russian ones.

27. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Tuk Tuk interview in Canada :cheer2:

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  28. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I just love Liza's confidence:swoon: I see no one else beating her at SC, so I hope she defends her SC title!

29. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

:) I just adore this young lady! Good luck Tuk Tuk!

30. Macassar88

I hope she does amazing! She already looked pretty good in St. Petersburg - much better than I had expected considering her injuries. Hopefully she does even better at each competition! She's such a talent for Sochi and beyond!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.