From Russia With Love - Autumn 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

2. lulu

lulu New Member

Thank you for posting the FS video. :)

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

deleted post

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

M&R are one of my favorite young pairs. I love watching them, but unless they land their jumps and throws consistently, they will not win a world title or even a world medal. COP does not emphasize posture/lines, etc. as much as 6.0 did. A pair like Denney & Coughlin gets away with ugly positions just because they land their jumps & throws. I hope that by 2018 (or earlier) M&R will develop the mental toughness to compete for a championship.

Thanks to Love_Skate2011 for the link.

5. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

All the pairs at Ondrej Nepela look bad but something was/is clearly wrong with Berton/Hotarek.

6. love_skate2011

7. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

An 80 in TES is just very good and that was with not doing a 3 jump combo and not having another technical element that would be in a senior skate. But it is good that he is repeating JGP success of last season.

8. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

i can´t believe they are really going for a 3sal 2a sequence.

i really love this pair, but even if she lands the salchow, how should she put an 2axel on it with all her troubles?
    hope they show me i´m wrong...

9. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

This doesn't surprise me. I recognized Kovtun had a lot of potential last season, and he's improved a whole lot since then, especially artistically! His jumps are so straight up and down, rock solid 3a and 4t was nice too, his spins are also very strong, he hits some really nice positions. He almost looks like a new skater, more confident, and he's grown significantly, he's so tall and slender now but it gives his skating a regal quality, especially noticable watching him right after Han Yan who is very compact and skates looking down at the ice a lot. I wonder if he could make the senior worlds team this season? Idk what the status of Plushenko is, but Gatchinski and Menshov are so hot and cold that if marked fairly at Nationals, if Kovtun keeps skating like this, I could see him winning if Plushenko doesn't compete and the other two are "off" like they often are. Han Yan won't even make JGPF, so Kovtun is likely one of the favorites to win, showdown btwn him and Farris could be really exciting. Last season Kovtun had the jumps but PCS was lacking, but now he's closed the gap so his PCS are comparable to the likes of Yan, Farris, Brown and he has the 4t. He even did it in combo so I wonder if he intends to try two quads in his FS later? Will be interesting to see if he tries it in her SP at senior level events, such as Russian Cup and Nationals. Very exciting for Russia though, lots of success in men on the JGP this season, so Plushenko and Menshov don't feel the need to skate competitively through their 30s :lol:.

10. love_skate2011

Gachinski ? :blah:

Han Yan wont go to JGPF ? :wuzrobbed:, I think there is still room
    Nathan Chen will not be at JGPF also because he withdrew

Brown, Farris , Jin and Kovtun should be at GPF
    then there is Ryuju Hino, 2nd and 3rd in his JGP events
    and there is Alexander Samarin, 3rd in his first JGP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a04vri1KJCY

Han Yan finished 5th and 2nd but he can make it, so depends on another Russian boy how he will place in Germany JGP,
    does Samarin need to not podium for Han Yan to go to GPF ?

Last spot I think can either go to Han Yan but If Alexander Samarin places 2nd, then Han Yan is out correct ?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  11. znhurston

znhurston Active Member

Me too. BTW, what did you think of their costumes? I didn't understand what they had to do with the program.

12. znhurston

znhurston Active Member

Wow! Good for Maxim. This must be what comes of being thrown out of Nikolai Morozov's training group!

13. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Keiji Tanaka placed 2nd and 4th at his events, so he will qualify before Han Yan. So assuming Kovtun places 5th or higher in Germany, he and Hino will qualify which means the last spot will come down to Tanaka or Samarin. If Samarin is 2nd or higher, he will qualify and Tanaka will not, if he is 3rd, Tanaka will win the tiebreaker and be the final entrant.

So basically the only way Han Yan will qualify is if Kovtun is 7th or lower AND Samarin is 4th or lower in Germany next week (highly unlikely).

14. viviabond

viviabond New Member

Boys, do you want to acquire big accomplishment? Leave Morozov! Girls, do you want either? Go to Morozov now! :D

15. znhurston

znhurston Active Member

Well said, viviabond!

16. love_skate2011

17. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

18. Macassar88

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

20. Macassar88

I enjoyed it. One thing I noticed though was that they seem to still be skating with a good amount of separation in between them.

21. zotza

zotza allergic to brainless skaters

I loved it today!I think it's gonna grow even more during the season.And I prefer Katia's hair the way they came accidentaly loose.She should keep it like this:)

22. Macassar88

23. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I love the SLSS to the music :)

24. zotza

zotza allergic to brainless skaters

25. Macassar88

It looks like its tied up with her hair. Although imagine it with her original SD costume! :)

26. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

With Kovtun having improved so much I'm really afraid he'll give Gachinski a run for his money this season.
    I predict Maxim to make the Euro team this season.

27. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

That's a reasonable take. I was so surprised at him this week!

BTW, I like B/S's SD. They look much more polished and beautiful than last season, as expected from the moment they moved to Zhulin!

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I hope Kovtun makes the Euros team: he was so fun to watch last year at JGPF.

29. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Kavaguti and Smirnov's short program at the Fed Cup. I like it much better than at the test skates, her dress is a big improvement. They scored 67.34, the rest should be posted soon.

The venue looks really nice.

30. love_skate2011

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.