From Russia With Love - Autumn 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I wholeheartedly agree. Maybe they started out with Elena more of a 'star', but as of last year, I think Nikita is the stronger member of that partnership.

2. lulu

lulu New Member

I saw Tatiana Novik and for a brief second, I thought it said Tatiana Navka. It's not even the correct discipline. That's what I get for reading FSU when I first wake up in the morning.

3. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Is this a competition or more like a show?

4. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Its a competition with Scoring.
    though some russian skaters opted not to participate, there are still some big names on that list. Piseev called it a dress rehearsal competition for the Grand Prix Final and Olympics

5. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

happy about gorshkov; he seemed so promising 2 seasons ago. please let him come back strong.

and for biryukova I just hope she shows better performances than at the test skates.
    she is such a great skater

6. Ladida

Ladida Member

But both Polinas are on the entry list for Ondrej Nepela Trophy :confused:

7. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

^So is Dmitriev.

8. love_skate2011

apparently some of the list entries are Farce :wall:
    only Gachinski and Kavaguti/Smirnov are sure to compete

9. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

And I wholeheartedly agree, as well. Elena is a rare beauty and Diva, and she is good not doubt, but it's Nikita whom I watch for edges, expressivity and my favorite personal skating fad, impeccable timing.

On other topic- I saw Russian test skates live on Sept.15, and I was very impressed with Bobrova and Soloviev. They stood out among all other Dance teams, and I fell in love with their FD. When I saw their FD first on youtube, the music seemed too jarring, but live, though I still have issues with "Tosca" in the middle, it all makes some kind of interesting whole. And the combination of their new style, paired with B &S being better balanced in partnership roles and their great SS is very appealing. Soloviev is actually sexy, gifted in movement and musical- what a discovery after seeing them for so many years! I learned to rather dislike B/S during the last two years and am astonished at my own turnaround. Programs are soooo important... I can't wait to see I/K this year, but if they are doing anything similar to 'Ave Maria" , I am switching my allegiance, though I love Nikita's skating dearly.

In other impressions- Plushenko was slow; lots of strategic stop and starts in that program ( at least so far), Adelina S. stood out for the quality of her jumps and what seems to be a reacquired joy of skating; she was very impressive. I was so dismayed when I heard "Godfather" for the third time in the course of that afternoon, that I could not enjoy V/T properly. Maxim is a yummy gangsta, but it'll take me a while to reconcile myself with their music choice. It's so overused and not very interesting as a jazz interpretation.
    I liked Gachinsky and Menshov, and even Voronov, who had a great outing. Gachinsky and Menshov are interesting.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
    Sylvia, kwanfan1818, alilou and 3 others like this.
  10. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Sounds fun. At least some skaters can do their programs before the Grand Prix.

I wonder if they will also plan to hold the Cup of Russia in 2013 or Russian Nationals in 2014 at the same venue?

11. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you. I just saw them on YouTube - but even there I really liked it. I think with more practice this will be really stunning. Definitely the best thing they've ever done.

I've never liked them either - they bored me to death - now I think they might have my favorite FD of the season. I really wish Sin/Z would go to some other coach too.

12. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I am a little lost here. A few pages back I thought I was reading about a possible breakup of I&K (please don't throw rocks at me, if I misunderstood the posts:lol:), and now I am reading that they look really good. I will watch the video after I get home, but can someone please tell me that I&K are still planning on skating together in the years to come? It will be a shame if they split.

13. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I've heard nothing recently about I&K splitting; perhaps people were talking about his offer to skate with Jana last year. According to Morozov, they are working harder and aiming to medal at Worlds (I take it with a grain of salt, but it shows there is harmony right now). The reason they weren't at the tests is her shoulder injury.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. martyross

martyross Active Member

Nikita wanted to skate with Kokhlova?? must have missed it

15. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Khoklova asked to skate with him. Not the other way around.

16. Glacier cat

Glacier cat Member

Interesting to read from Russian test skates. Although, as for a part of Plushy I doubt her impression (sorry :D ), because she is a friend of reut who dislikes him. :cool: Other parts I agreed! Thanks for the sharing.

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Well, since friends always share the same opinions about skaters. NOT.

dinakt's impression of Plushenko is the same as mine at the Vancouver Olympics, and having seen Plushenko at his strongest, in the early 2000's, I had a good speed and power baseline to which to compare.

He was trying new things -- movement, ice pattern -- so I'm not surprised he's not at full speed yet. He's aiming for Sochi, not to :kickass: at a test skate.

18. Macassar88

After seeing the Nebelhorn results, I'm worried for Bobrova and Soloviev. The two Zhulin teams both got level 2 on their non touching steps. That's no improvement from what Kustarova was getting B/S.

19. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

May be this is just the starting point. They will raise the levels as the season progresses.

20. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with you, but I think Plush is in good shape.

Tarasova about Plush, after Novogorsk:
    http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/4926.html

"Zhenya is in terrific shape, exactly, physical shape. He spent a great job of examining every muscle of his body."

Mishin said:
    "Plushenko is stronger than in Turin!"
    http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/552296

21. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Why did so many other coaches have students debut with level 3 step sequences? I hope it is not a mistake and was planned for level 2 the whole time.

22. Macassar88

I sure hope so. I really hope that Bobrova and Soloviev, having better skating ability IMO than Monko and Khaliavin and Zlobina and Sitnikov, will have cleaner edges in their footwork and get their levels. I have no expectations for them to reach the Grand Prix final but I think that, if they can beat Ilinykh and Katsalapov at Russian Nats and Euros, they'll be primed for a top 5 worlds showing which will serve them well for the Olympic season and beyond.

23. Macassar88

Once videos come up, we'll see what they aimed for.

24. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

It's possible though that they obtain their deep edges because they lean so far onto the blade, and that correcting posture, which Zhulin is doing, might take away that advantage in terms of edges.

25. Macassar88

Well, is there anyone who wants to take a crack at what the judges would have given them for http://youtu.be/0hStLXS3GyA?t=2m20s
    Because I don't have the eye for calling levels. I think that they are going for a level 4 because they have all the bullets potentially

They have at least one double twizzle along with four other difficult turns, they have a one foot section with 4 difficult one foot turns, their sequence looks to be more than 75% difficult turns and I don't see why they wouldn't be trying to get every turn with a good edge and clean. I think that it's the last one that really messes people up, but I don't see a reason for any top team to get a level 2 when going for a level 4 because that would mean that the coach gave them a bad set of steps to do and didn't read the rules.

Anyway, I didn't notice any distinct shallowing of edges since they moved to Zhulin.

26. love_skate2011

but aren't most Russians ice dancers slow on Twizzles ?

with excpetion to Ilinkyh/Katsalapov though their twizzles look unzynchronized and chaotic. Only Stepanova/Bukin I can really say they can wow with their spins and their super fast twizzles

27. Macassar88

Maybe compared to Davis and White, none of the Russians have fast twizzles, but I'd say that in terms of rotational speed, Bobrova and Soloviev are probably around the same speed as Tessa and Scott. And with Kustarova, they were even faster but were never in sync. Even Davis and White have small synchro issues with their lightning speed twizzles.
    Anyway, Elena and Nikita have above average speed twizzles (in comparison with the top tier of ice dancers) but they suffer from unison issues as well.

28. Macassar88

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iTCizJtFpg
    Monko and Khaliavin's SD from Nebelhorn

Confused as to why they only got level 2. I know she had the twizzle issue, but I still counted enough difficult turns on one foot as well as total difficult steps. Maybe their edges were so bad that they didn't get credited with getting certain steps?

A thought that I had was that maybe the judges didn't think there was more than 75% difficult steps so they took off a level?

29. zotza

zotza allergic to brainless skaters

I think Ksenia had a couple of edge issues after her mistake but maybe I was concentrating too much on her edges?

They looked a bit tense to me,but it's understandable.It's ages since they've competed...

Btw,B/S got level 2 at Russian cup for their non touch sequence.I'm sure they'll fix whatever is missing.That's why it is good to check your levels early in the season

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Macassar88

Uh Oh... if Bobrova and Soloviev don't get a level 3 in Finlandia, I'll be worried. Because they'll want to get all level 3 on steps at the very least to stay competitive with Weaver and Poje at Skate America.
    Anyway, where did you get the Russian Cup protocols?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.