From Russia With Love - Autumn 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Interview with Nikolai Morozov: "The fact that I train foreigners doesn't bother me" (after the test skates in Novogorsk)

http://fcp-press.ru/interview/p2_articleid/5140

DR: What can you say about our skaters' performances here?
    NM: I am content. Such events push athletes giving the opportunity to see competitors and evaluate the progress they made in the off-season. But you cannot say how the skaters will perform during the season. Not everyone is in their optimal shape yet.

DR: Now, before the Olympics, is there much competition [between the athletes on the Russian team]?
    NM: Everyone is trying to do their best because they understand there isn't much time left until the Sochi Olympics. Everyone keeps getting better and it's good. As for competition, it is different in different disciplines. For example, in pairs we have Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov, who, in my opinion, are beyond competition. And in ice dancing, my dance team Elena Ilinykh / Nikita Katsalapov didn't skate here.

DR: Why not?
    NM: I didn't want them to show their programs. Also, Lena had a minor shoulder injury. I think in this discipline we don't have many people who are competitive at the highest level. In singles, I was pleased with Artur Gachinski, he has interesting programs this year. I also liked Adelina Sotnikova, she is in good shape. Tuktamysheva and Lipnitskaya did not skate, and I didn't have a chance to see their programs.

DR: Are there any interesting events this year, besides the World Championships?
    NM: World Championships (to be held in London, Canada, 10 - 17 March 2013) always stand out, but the Grand Prix Final in Sochi (6-9 December) is also extremely important this year. It will be held at the Olympic rink. It would be good if athletes who are going to compete for medals at the Olympics skated there.

DR: Do you set a goal for your skaters for this season to win any particular event?
    NM: I always set goals for the season, and especially to win something. With the exception of two World championships, not a single one had gone without medals for me.

DR: Sometimes you aren't able to accompany your athletes to competitions...
    NM: Yes, it happens often. But there are coaches who can replace me at competitions. I always try to be with them at important events.

DR: What concerns you the most in athletes' preparation?
    NM: The main thing is injuries and health. In winter, there is a big risk to get sick. I wish it could be avoided because such things always interrupt training process for at least a week.

DR: Do you have a contract with the Russian Figure Skating Federation? And at whose expense do the athletes train overseas?
    NM: I have no contract with the federation. Frankly, I do not know much about these issues, but I think that these trips are paid by the Ministry of Sport of Russian Federation. Not only my athletes, but the entire team travels to such camps.

DR: Won't the fact that you train foreign athletes hurt the chances of our skaters at World Championships and the Olympics?
    NM: Yes, I coach European champion Florent Amodio of France and two-time World champion, Daisuke Takahashi of Japani. But in terms of competition with Evgeni Plushenko and Artur Gachinski, it doesn't bother me. After all, at competition everything will be in hands of the Russian athletes, and not in mine.
    rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Where in my post did I "wish" injury on anyone? :rolleyes:

Athletes are injury prone and some have had career ending injuries.

"A hip injury that may require surgery'- has an ominous sound. Remember Yagudin, Lipinski? Their injuries did end their eligible careers, but after they had won the OGM. As a fan of B&L, I am naturally very concerned about her hip injury. May be you are not really concerned because you are not their fan.
  3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Also her beautiful line and toe-point :(
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. morqet

morqet Active Member

Ilinykh/Katsalapov, Monko/Khaliavin and Polina A & Polina K will all compete at the Coupe de Nice at the end of October.
  5. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

And her free leg extension going into jumps!
  6. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

7. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I'll admit to ragging on B/L and their lack of expression, but that was mostly because I was frustrated they never made it to the next level. Which could be breathtaking given how good their basics and extension are. Hopefully Vera can come back sooner than expected.
  8. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thanks. About Ilinykh/Katsalapov that's great news - at least they will compete somewhere before CoR.
  9. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

10. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Liudmila Kalinina, coach of Vera Bazarova and Yuri Larionov: "Doctors have different opinions about Vera's injury" http://fcp-press.ru/interview/p2_articleid/5150

She says that Vera has been injured for a while now, but when they did run-through of their programs before leaving for Oberstdorf, she skated clean, and the decision to go was made with Alexander Gorshkov. Now Vera feels fine and says that if there was a good massage therapist she would have skated. She's going to undergo an examination, but they still intend to skate at Rostelekom Cup. She also confirms that their SP to Liebestraum was choreographed by TAT and LP to Spartak by Zoueva-Shpilband. They train in Novogorsk, their choreographer is Liudmila Vlasova and they like working with her.
  11. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

No Tuk Tuk.. noooo :wuzrobbed

happy about Vera's condition :cheer2:, I know it was a bit exaggerated regarding her status and injury
  12. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

That's a bummer if Tuk doesn't skate at Skate Canada. I was looking forward to her and Gracie going head to head. This might be what Julia Lipnitskaia will be going through next season as she grows also.
  13. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Aw. Better this year than next. Hopefully, she can heal and be rested by Russian Nationals, Euros and Worlds if she has to miss the GP.
  14. love_skate2011

I hope not but this could the trend :yikes:

2011 - Adelina growth issues
    2012 - Tuktamisheva growth issues
    2013 - Lipinitskaya growth issues
    2014 - Radionova growth issues
  15. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Mishin sounds protective, and it's good. I have a feeling he will not Liza go unless she is ready, physically and mentally.
  16. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it was exaggerated. It's a reoccurring hip injury so if it does flare up anytime it wants (and it sounds like it does) it still sounds pretty serious. I'm not sure what doctor's would have different opinions but they seems to be taking the approach of least resistance and waiting it out. Cup of Russia is plenty of time away to rest up. I hope therapy is all she needs and massage works but if the other doctors are right and more competitions only aggravate it, she could do more harm than good.

I hope she is fine; I want to see her, but I'd rather see her healthy. You're right Mishin knows best.
  17. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's exaggerated. No hip injury is to be taken lightly. They intend to skate at Cup of Russia, but there are no guarantees. It's going to depend on how she responds to treatment. It sounds more like optimism from a skater's perspective, rather than a medical examiner's expert opinion. They do need to look at her long term career, instead of just Cup of Russia. If it means missing the GP entirely, but healing completely by the Euros that would be a better approach. May be that's the approach Mishin is taking for Lisa.
  18. Macassar88

Of course - if she isn't healthy, she'll probably have an awful skate and lose a lot of confidence.
  19. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

It might be better for these girls go through some tough time, and then come back much stronger. This kind of hardships give people ammunition and motivation for their goals. Of course, it's much much much much better that growth-related injuries don't happen at all.
  20. viviabond

viviabond New Member

Samarin is now in JGP Germany's entries! Perfect decision!
  21. Macassar88

Tessa and Scott are out of Finlandia :(
    Great chance for Bobrova and Soloviev to start the season off with a win. I personally think they are a better team than Capellini and Lanotte.
  22. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

BS has shown ability to beat CL in some GPs and euros but not the most recent GPfs or worlds. Even chance at winning for both.
  23. Macassar88

CL didn't even make GPF

Anyway, I think that the judges will reward them for making changes (hopefully we'll see more improvement from them)
  24. caseyedwards

I thought they were in w/p's place at the gpf-so only the worlds part Is true
  25. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

I can't believe I would ever say this, but Im rooting for B/S. I really like their new FD [And I never thought I'd say that either]. Viva Zhulin!
  26. Macassar88

I'm rooting for them too

Anyway, I really like their SD as well - they had my two favorite programs so far this season
    Although I hate Dimitri's SD costume - it looks like he has a third arm
  27. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

The costume is already dumped.
    kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Macassar88

Amazing - where di you hear this?
  29. Macassar88

30. Lis

Lis Member

thank you so much fro the vid of Martiusheva and Rogonov FS.When they land their jumps they will be perfect :)
  31. love_skate2011

32. lulu

lulu New Member

Thank you for posting the FS video. :)
  33. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

deleted post
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  34. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

M&R are one of my favorite young pairs. I love watching them, but unless they land their jumps and throws consistently, they will not win a world title or even a world medal. COP does not emphasize posture/lines, etc. as much as 6.0 did. A pair like Denney & Coughlin gets away with ugly positions just because they land their jumps & throws. I hope that by 2018 (or earlier) M&R will develop the mental toughness to compete for a championship.

Thanks to Love_Skate2011 for the link.
  35. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

All the pairs at Ondrej Nepela look bad but something was/is clearly wrong with Berton/Hotarek.
  36. love_skate2011

37. caseyedwards

An 80 in TES is just very good and that was with not doing a 3 jump combo and not having another technical element that would be in a senior skate. But it is good that he is repeating JGP success of last season.
  38. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

i can´t believe they are really going for a 3sal 2a sequence.

i really love this pair, but even if she lands the salchow, how should she put an 2axel on it with all her troubles?
    hope they show me i´m wrong...
  39. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

This doesn't surprise me. I recognized Kovtun had a lot of potential last season, and he's improved a whole lot since then, especially artistically! His jumps are so straight up and down, rock solid 3a and 4t was nice too, his spins are also very strong, he hits some really nice positions. He almost looks like a new skater, more confident, and he's grown significantly, he's so tall and slender now but it gives his skating a regal quality, especially noticable watching him right after Han Yan who is very compact and skates looking down at the ice a lot. I wonder if he could make the senior worlds team this season? Idk what the status of Plushenko is, but Gatchinski and Menshov are so hot and cold that if marked fairly at Nationals, if Kovtun keeps skating like this, I could see him winning if Plushenko doesn't compete and the other two are "off" like they often are. Han Yan won't even make JGPF, so Kovtun is likely one of the favorites to win, showdown btwn him and Farris could be really exciting. Last season Kovtun had the jumps but PCS was lacking, but now he's closed the gap so his PCS are comparable to the likes of Yan, Farris, Brown and he has the 4t. He even did it in combo so I wonder if he intends to try two quads in his FS later? Will be interesting to see if he tries it in her SP at senior level events, such as Russian Cup and Nationals. Very exciting for Russia though, lots of success in men on the JGP this season, so Plushenko and Menshov don't feel the need to skate competitively through their 30s :lol:.
  40. love_skate2011

Gachinski ? :blah:

Han Yan wont go to JGPF ? :wuzrobbed:, I think there is still room
    Nathan Chen will not be at JGPF also because he withdrew

Brown, Farris , Jin and Kovtun should be at GPF
    then there is Ryuju Hino, 2nd and 3rd in his JGP events
    and there is Alexander Samarin, 3rd in his first JGP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a04vri1KJCY

Han Yan finished 5th and 2nd but he can make it, so depends on another Russian boy how he will place in Germany JGP,
    does Samarin need to not podium for Han Yan to go to GPF ?

Last spot I think can either go to Han Yan but If Alexander Samarin places 2nd, then Han Yan is out correct ?
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.