From Russia With Love - Autumn 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Do they have the same coaches as K&N? The music reminds me of their 2006 Bolero FD and they have some creative lifts. I agree that they're not really skating to the music, but this FD is fine for juniors. I really like this couple, they both have something special and I watch them equally.

I preferred last year's.

How can you possibly think there's a possibility that none of these teams would even make the top 10? They had 3 in the top 10 in 2012. (It's not that they're so great, but the ice dance world is really weak right now). Russia will certainly have at least one couple in the top 5, probably challenging for a medal. And if the situation is as dire as you describe, then I think the Russian fed will support whoever is closest to the top, as they have been supporting Bobrova/Soloviev the last couple of years despite their less than impressive results.
  2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I wonder if they stay Russian champs til 2018. That would be some run if they medaled from 2011 to 2018. Then there must be some 2014 team - some team with some ambition for success in 2014.
  3. martyross

martyross New Member

afaik, these dancers are not 40 or something. and unless the federation has some weird reasons to hate them, they'll keep supporting whomever they feel worth to support, as always.
  4. equatorial

equatorial New Member

The sound quality is so poor that some of the posters thought it was not flamenco but tango in the first part. I thought their timing was quite good, but will wait for a better quality video.

Last year they were skating like two singles skaters haphazardly thrown together to do some ice dancing. Hence, some flashy tricks thrown in to distract attention from their technique. Plus, she looked totally inferior wrt her basics. Their progress is nothing short of spectacular.
  5. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Stepanova/Bukin have the same coach as Jana Khoklova/Sergey Novitski

Elena Ilinykh ,I dont see her as a dive
    she is more of a Bombshell.

yes they remind me of Domnina/Shabalin
    especially with Stepanovs's long legs like Dominina

on another, the first boy medalist in Russia for JGP this season
    times are desperate for russian men drought :rofl:, how old , 14 ? :confused: never seen him before

SP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LU0xkFF2ZY&feature=plcp

LP attempted 3A, step out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IRtOKICzdM&feature=plcp
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  6. caseyedwards

How long can that go on? I forgot R/T was in the top 10. I/K was 5th and B/S was 7 and R/T was 9. Why wouldn't they switch to I/K? Depends on the GP season again and if B/S show improvement. Not just so that they can win an event but win it impressively and also keep it up. Not just go from beating the Shibutani's to losing to them at the GPF.

If they don't win a medal at worlds in 2014 or 2015 after the assumed DW and VM retirements I can't imagine them being supported anymore. Any of the previously mentioned Russian teams.
  7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I kind of wish they would do as you say... just don't play favorites with anyone, mark them fairly, and if that means it's a junior team that becomes national champions and all 3 of the teams from last year's Worlds don't make Sochi, so be it. They have to go with whoever is going to score the points in international competition. They are wasting time on B&S, IMO, and maybe I&K if they don't improve this year. But they supported DomShabs after they didn't medal in 2006 and 2007 (they deserved a medal in 2007 though), and even dumped K&N for them after K&N medalled in 2008, so I don't know.
  8. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I love S/B; by far my favorites of the Russian juniors. The sound quality at this JGP is terrible, and it's their first outing, so I'll wait until there's a better quality video. I think they have "IT" and are very creative.
    shan and (deleted member) like this.
  9. morqet

morqet Active Member

The Russian Fed would be very foolish to give up on I/K imo; they have shown a lot of improvement over the last year, made the transition from juniors successfully which doesn't always happen & demonstrated that they are capable of winning medals at senior ISU competitions. Their performances & results at Worlds and Euros last season will give them a lot of momentum. In terms of building an international rep, they're a year or two ahead of the other up and coming Russian teams (& I think a key thing to bear in mind is that they're still very young for a top ice dance team, only a year older than S/Z and actually younger than M/K). The ones who really should be worrying are R/T who are going into their 4th year on the senior circuit without a real breakthrough, and B/S if they don't make dramatic leaps forward with Zhulin.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  10. love_skate2011

I feel this season should be the momentum for B/S and R/T on how they will do and if they will really improve, a lot can still happen in 2018 but 2014 is a short time period now so they need to make the best of it now.

for 2018, I see the Top 3 Russian Pairs will be:

Ilinykh/Katsalapov, Sinitsina/Zhiganshin and Stepanova/Bukin in any order
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  11. love_skate2011

I finally figured out who Dmitri Soloviev looks like
    I knew his face looked flashy when I remember seeing someone on TV

Dmitri Soloviev looks like Louis Tomlinson from "Boy Band" One Direction :D
  12. analia

analia Member

In my dream, the 2018 dance teams would be Ilinykh/a new partner who can twizzle, Stepanova/Bukin, and Kosigina/Moroshkin....
  13. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Wow the resemblance is uncanny!
  14. kapriza

kapriza Member

I wish Nikita wouldn’t be such a headcase. He’s a brilliant skater, with an amazing skating skills and for me he’s a bigger star than Elena herself. But to be honest I've started noticing it only last season, up to now I was blown away by her beauty and attitude :glamor:
  15. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

:huh: Are you kidding me? Nikita is wonderful. He has all the potential to become one of the greatest dancers ever.
    Kosigina/Moroshkin on the other hand have an atrocious FD this season and they haven't convinced be so far.
  16. love_skate2011

indeed, if only Soloviev was shorter and they would be twins
  17. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

18. Macassar88

19. love_skate2011

Federation Cup October 5-7, 2012
    Sochi, Russia

Entry List:

Men:

Artur Gachinski
    Sergei Voronov

Ivan Bariev
    Artur Dmitriev
    Gordei Gorshkov - still competing :eek:
    Mark Shymatkov - still competing

Ladies:

Ksenia Makarova
    Polina Shelepen
    Polina Korobeynikova :cheer2:
    Sofia Biryukova

Alexandra Deeva
    Valentina Chernyshova

Pairs:

Yuko Kavaguti / Alexander Smirnov
    Ksenia Stolbova / Fedor Klimov

Ekaterina Petaykina / Konstantin Bezmaternykh
    Tatiana Novik / Andrei Novoselov
    Ekatherine Kuklina / Maxim Petukhov

Ice Dancing:

Victoria Sinitsina / Ruslan Zhiganshin
    Valeria Starygina / Ivan Volobuev
    Ekaterina Pushkash/ Jonathan Guerreiro

Tatiana Baturintseva / Andrei Nevski
    Anna Polikarpova / Maxim Kirillov.
  20. caseyedwards

Gachinski has to win that. I wonder if the polinas can beat makarova.

Sochi test skate!
  21. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I wholeheartedly agree. Maybe they started out with Elena more of a 'star', but as of last year, I think Nikita is the stronger member of that partnership.
  22. lulu

lulu New Member

I saw Tatiana Novik and for a brief second, I thought it said Tatiana Navka. It's not even the correct discipline. That's what I get for reading FSU when I first wake up in the morning.
  23. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Is this a competition or more like a show?
  24. love_skate2011

Its a competition with Scoring.
    though some russian skaters opted not to participate, there are still some big names on that list. Piseev called it a dress rehearsal competition for the Grand Prix Final and Olympics
  25. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

happy about gorshkov; he seemed so promising 2 seasons ago. please let him come back strong.

and for biryukova I just hope she shows better performances than at the test skates.
    she is such a great skater
  26. Ladida

Ladida Member

But both Polinas are on the entry list for Ondrej Nepela Trophy :confused:
  27. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

^So is Dmitriev.
  28. love_skate2011

apparently some of the list entries are Farce :wall:
    only Gachinski and Kavaguti/Smirnov are sure to compete

29. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

And I wholeheartedly agree, as well. Elena is a rare beauty and Diva, and she is good not doubt, but it's Nikita whom I watch for edges, expressivity and my favorite personal skating fad, impeccable timing.

On other topic- I saw Russian test skates live on Sept.15, and I was very impressed with Bobrova and Soloviev. They stood out among all other Dance teams, and I fell in love with their FD. When I saw their FD first on youtube, the music seemed too jarring, but live, though I still have issues with "Tosca" in the middle, it all makes some kind of interesting whole. And the combination of their new style, paired with B &S being better balanced in partnership roles and their great SS is very appealing. Soloviev is actually sexy, gifted in movement and musical- what a discovery after seeing them for so many years! I learned to rather dislike B/S during the last two years and am astonished at my own turnaround. Programs are soooo important... I can't wait to see I/K this year, but if they are doing anything similar to 'Ave Maria" , I am switching my allegiance, though I love Nikita's skating dearly.

In other impressions- Plushenko was slow; lots of strategic stop and starts in that program ( at least so far), Adelina S. stood out for the quality of her jumps and what seems to be a reacquired joy of skating; she was very impressive. I was so dismayed when I heard "Godfather" for the third time in the course of that afternoon, that I could not enjoy V/T properly. Maxim is a yummy gangsta, but it'll take me a while to reconcile myself with their music choice. It's so overused and not very interesting as a jazz interpretation.
    I liked Gachinsky and Menshov, and even Voronov, who had a great outing. Gachinsky and Menshov are interesting.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
    Sylvia, kwanfan1818, alilou and 3 others like this.
  30. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Sounds fun. At least some skaters can do their programs before the Grand Prix.

I wonder if they will also plan to hold the Cup of Russia in 2013 or Russian Nationals in 2014 at the same venue?
  31. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you. I just saw them on YouTube - but even there I really liked it. I think with more practice this will be really stunning. Definitely the best thing they've ever done.

I've never liked them either - they bored me to death - now I think they might have my favorite FD of the season. I really wish Sin/Z would go to some other coach too.
  32. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I am a little lost here. A few pages back I thought I was reading about a possible breakup of I&K (please don't throw rocks at me, if I misunderstood the posts:lol:), and now I am reading that they look really good. I will watch the video after I get home, but can someone please tell me that I&K are still planning on skating together in the years to come? It will be a shame if they split.
  33. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I've heard nothing recently about I&K splitting; perhaps people were talking about his offer to skate with Jana last year. According to Morozov, they are working harder and aiming to medal at Worlds (I take it with a grain of salt, but it shows there is harmony right now). The reason they weren't at the tests is her shoulder injury.
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  34. martyross

martyross New Member

Nikita wanted to skate with Kokhlova?? must have missed it
  35. Macassar88

Khoklova asked to skate with him. Not the other way around.
  36. Glacier cat

Glacier cat New Member

Interesting to read from Russian test skates. Although, as for a part of Plushy I doubt her impression (sorry :D ), because she is a friend of reut who dislikes him. :cool: Other parts I agreed! Thanks for the sharing.
  37. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Well, since friends always share the same opinions about skaters. NOT.

dinakt's impression of Plushenko is the same as mine at the Vancouver Olympics, and having seen Plushenko at his strongest, in the early 2000's, I had a good speed and power baseline to which to compare.

He was trying new things -- movement, ice pattern -- so I'm not surprised he's not at full speed yet. He's aiming for Sochi, not to :kickass: at a test skate.
  38. Macassar88

After seeing the Nebelhorn results, I'm worried for Bobrova and Soloviev. The two Zhulin teams both got level 2 on their non touching steps. That's no improvement from what Kustarova was getting B/S.
  39. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

May be this is just the starting point. They will raise the levels as the season progresses.
  40. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with you, but I think Plush is in good shape.

Tarasova about Plush, after Novogorsk:
    http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/4926.html

"Zhenya is in terrific shape, exactly, physical shape. He spent a great job of examining every muscle of his body."

Mishin said:
    "Plushenko is stronger than in Turin!"
    http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/552296
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.