From Russia With Love - Autumn 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
    rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  2. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

3. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Thanks! People should feel free to continue to post individual video links (ETA: please post the skaters' last names if possible -- "Victoria and Ruslan" above = Sinitsina/Zhiganshin).

Moving these 2 posts below over from the last thread - link to videos from 1st Cup of Russia in Perm (Sept. 11-12 2012), also cross-posted in the "Russian Cup Series & other Russian competitions 2012-13 season" thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.youtube.com/user/Ericheni/videos?sort=dd&flow=list&page=1&view=0
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  4. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I do agree with dinakt - one good thing about B&S' FD is that I'm noticing Soloviev a lot more!
  5. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I was finding videos to watch when I ran across this gem from the end of July of Kavaguti and Smirnov. It must have been their original 'Cats' short program from this summer. I don't know where Moskvina got it in her head to change it to a waltz; I think it could have been really good with some miles on it. At any rate, here it is. Thanks to whoever uploaded it to youtube, I hope it's OK I posted it here. I thought it would be neat to compare the two.
    Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Anya

Anya Member

7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

That program wouldn't have been to everyone's taste and would have had its detractors, but I liked it. It had loads of choreo that actually made sense. They both had excellent expression and the program suited both of them; it allowed Yuko to be her cute self and Alexander to be all rawwwr yet it worked.

I don't how understand how skaters can change their programs around all the time and still end up with crap (cough R&T cough)....
  8. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I certainly understand not everyone would have liked it but at least it would have been different; and if it wasn’t working out, by all means-change it. But to throw him in tails and her in an old dress from 2009 (hopefully it’s JUST for the test and a better dress is being made) and make them skate the waltz again is a :rolleyes:.

They skated to it numerous times for an exhibition program then used it the Olympic year. She could have thrown in any song, but to choose THAT one?!? It doesn’t do them any favors. They have time until the first GP to clean it up but it seems really boring. Not as slow as I thought from other cameras and I do like the lift and spins. I hope she comes to her senses and changes it back.

Oh well, there’s always the free skate!
  9. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I liked B/S free more or less. I found I couldn't look away, and that's not a typical reaction to most free dances under COP.

My theory is that it's a dream sequence, perhaps like a David Lynch movie. The random cuts of Tosca fit because, well, there's lots of randomness in dreams.
  10. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Bobrova's Tosca is the voidiest version of that music that I've seen. I will have to watch it again in the morning or something to get my full comments on it.
  11. shan

shan Well-Known Member

B/S's music is not my favorite, but it is nice to see them change direction. The lift where he swings her around by her neck is :yikes: It was kind of strange to see her lift her hair for him to grab her.

I didn't see scores for any other couples. Does anyone know what R/T scored? Or Z/S?
  12. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

B&S are competing at the 1st Cup of Russia. The rest are participating at the test skate this week so no scores for them.
  13. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Definitely a different style for B/S, I like it for them. I especially enjoy seeing her not overwhelmed by her costume. Vast improvement there.
  14. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I'm one of the few B&S fans, and I have to say I actually preferred their old style more. Everything that I found fascinating about their style of movement has been muddled now.

This FD starts out interesting, but begins to fall apart around half way. The violin with a backseat version of a classical piece has been done to death too. I can't believe this is the music they were so excited about using. :blah:

The footwork sequences still aren't crisp enough for the music they're using either, and I guess Zhulin is going to keep recycling lifts like he does with every other team. And I'm sorry, but this packaging is not working for her any more than her previous look. The FD dress makes her look stout and like she has no neck.

I was looking forward to seeing them more than anyone else and while the SD is decent, I'm just kind of :blah: about it all.
  15. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Ice-Dance:

Stepanova & Bukin were my favorites by far. Really loved their SD and I think that the moment they turn into the senior ranks the other russian couples will have a headache.
    Sinitsina & Zhiganshin and Riazanova & Tkachenko were a bit of a disapointment. Yes, I know that it is to early to jump conclusions and there is a long way to go. But still, I hoped for something a bit different. Riazanova & Tkachenko did show improvement on the twizzles but what about the lifts? There was clearly some recicled stuff from last year FD including the final part and ending pose. Seriously? Maybe they didn't have time enough to completely change their FD since I remember reading that "The Godfather" wasn't their first choice at all.
    Bobrova & Soloviev - Nice start to the FD. The music is exactly the same as a program Zhulin did to Kazanova and Kostomarov on Ice and Fire tv show. It looked promising but then when the music changes I totally got lost.
    Starigyna & Volobuiev were enjoyable as always. I wish to see more of them in the future.
    Pushkash & Guerreiro - Against my initial expectations, I loved their music and their FD. Looks promising.

Pairs:

Stolbova & Klimov :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: Great music choice and presentation.
    Kavaguti & Smirnov - I really like this pair and I want them to do well. Nevertheless, I was watching their SP and wondering why I was having a dejá vu feeling.
    Tarasova & Morozov - Crossing my fingers for them. Love the amplitude they can get on their elements.

Men
    Menshov - :hat1: Liked it a lot.
    Voronov - Not sure what to think.
    Kovtun - Liked the beginning of the program. Just wondering why the hell the end of his music sounds like the french national anthem.

Ladies
    Makarova - Loved the idea and music of her LP. Suits her well. Lovely choreography. If she's able to put herself together and land those jumps it will be lovely.
    Leonova - Again... not sure what to think
    Evilynn and (deleted member) like this.
  16. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Oh okay. Thanks! :)
  17. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the links! Love_Skate too - a BIG Thank you!!!

Wow - Russian skating is getting interesting again for me - where to start?!

Loved Bob/Sol! - and I never thought I'd say that! For once, not bored at all - loved the music - and thought they used it very well - did Zhulin choreograph this??? Modern and edgy really suit them. With more practice and a better performance this could be stunning! They do need more speed though - parts of this looked really s-l-o-o-w.

R/T - This could be my favorite FD of the season. Loved the way the choreo actually reflected the music all the way through [B/S too] - this is really rare to see in Dance these days. With more practice again this could be great. Did Sphilband do this??? If so, why the hell was he hiding behind Marina all these years???!!

S/Z - Although some of their moves were great - and I loved the opening - I dont think their choreo is as good or as interesting as the other 2. How I wish THEY had gone to Zhulin. What a waste! She is a classic Diva-in-the-Making [and I mean that as a compliment]. Why couldnt they jump ship like their team-mates did. This team I think have the potential to be FANTASTIC, but I cant see it happening with Kustarova and this kind of choreography.

M/K - this dance really suited them and of all the teams they seemed the most polished and prepared. But the style is just :blah: to me.

Star/Vol - LOVED the opening pose - she is starting to get that expressive back - a la Bobrova. The beginning was not bad and I thought they had improved, but it got a lot worse as it went on. And it was just similar enough to K/N gypsy dance to make me wish yet again he was dancing with Yana - I really cant see them going anywhere - which makes me sad because he at least is not bad and I think could be a lot better with a decent partner. Are they married/a couple? I cant see why they stay together.

Step/Bukin - loved the SD, but it needs more work. At least the music will wake you up. I esp loved the way they took the goose lift and raised it to a whole new level. Wish it didnt look so tentative though. She esp seemed kind of scared in it - they need more practice and security or this could end in disaster [I hope not!].

Thanks again for that sneak peak!
  18. Aerobicidal

Aerobicidal Well-Known Member

I am teknik-illiterate, but watching the ice dance programs makes me wonder why in the name of all things (un)holy Svinin/Zhuk aren't prioritized as the go-to coaches.

They are the only ice dance coaches that consistently create programs that don't suck. In a world of Zuevas and Morosovs, has that become a liability?
    Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I loved Monko/Khaliavin's SD, or, at least I really loved them skating it. I wish I could see Riazonova/Tkachenko do this FD live.

I think Kawaguti/Smirnov's SP is fantastic, and except for some of the footwork section, they were dead on the music. Those SBS spins, between the closeness and the synch, were to die for.
  20. love_skate2011

Svinin/Zhuk are good coaches but then there was that time they dried up when they didnt have any good students, now with Stepanova/Bukin as their new star , hopefully they get more recognition again and also more political clout
  21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I think Starygyna/Volobyev were delightful in that FD.
  22. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Can anyone identify Makarova's LP music? I feel as though I've heard it before in a movie soundtrack (The Piano?)..I really like it.
  23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

24. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Well, I was way off! Thanks, though. :)
  25. Anya

Anya Member

I think it was OST from Casablanca and the French anthem is a part of the score. I asked about it way back, when Savchenko-Szolkowy used it (in their first(?) season) and I was told there is nothing in the rules about/against using national anthems in your music. Still weird, though.
  26. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I love it. Very original. I wish they had kept it.
  27. Macassar88

First impressions of Bobrova and Soloviev's FD
    I actually enjoyed most of it. I wish that Zhulin wouldn't have given them Tosca as that last part of the music - they are already seen as old fashioned and there are other pieces of music that could have been put in there. Also, it doesn't quiet the critics who say that Zhulin is boring and has no new ideas and will try to give them Navka and Kostomarov recycled programs.
    I really liked the beginning - I know they had problems with the spin but I'm hoping she does her really good donut spin where she actually gets her foot to her head as well as her haircutter layback where she gets her foot to her head as both of those positions are quite divine.
    I know they had issues with one of the lifts but I think this dance looks promising. I know that they have to work on speed but I definitely think that, if they keep working hard, they can be favorites for Pyongchang.
    I love the very ending - I think it's very Zhulin.
  28. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Gerboldt/Enbert will not participate any competitions in 2012
    Simonenko reports: Gerboldt tore a ligament when practicing throw 3 jump. They withdrew from GP and Moskvina reckons Gerboldt won't recover in time for the Russian nationals. Enbert keeps practicing. Gerboldt resumed her practices off the ice on one foot only this week. Their programmes are ready with Zhulin choreographing the SP and Averbukh the LP/
  29. casken

casken Well-Known Member

That's a good example of how I think some of their strengths have actually been lost in the transition. They always had one of the lovelier dance spins becuase of the quality of her positions and the smoothness and finish of of the transitions between the positions. The positions in this one are just ok, it looks slow, and it's poorly placed in the program.

Also, wasn't there a recent rule that says FDs should not be so obtuse in concept that they need and explanation? Because this FD, especially with that ending, does.
  30. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

Ooo I liked B/S's FD :watch: I am excited about where this could be go....
  31. love_skate2011

aww that's so bad, I thought it will just take a few weeks to heal :(
    I'm not a G/E fan but hope at least she has a quick recovery same for Sui

with them almost likely not competing also at nationals ?
    I think top pairs competing to be ranked on top 7 spot will between
    Volosozhar/Trankov, Kavaguti/Smirnov, Bazarova/Larionov, Stolbova/Klimov,
    Davankova/Deputat, Martiusheva/Rogonov and Tarasova/Morozov
  32. viviabond

viviabond New Member

Tarasova/Morozov have nice twizzle, but they still throw double loop
  33. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Considering their decline last season and sitting out this one entirely I have the impression they are pretty much done.
    rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  34. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

Some constructive input from me: Makarova as a brunette looks like Johnny Wier.
  35. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Just watched them, and even though I think the program is a bit :blah:, they've clearly improved technically and they look way more ready for the season here than they did at the test skates last season. The twizzles, footwork sequences, and lifts all look more snappy and secure than last year for sure. Shpilband's work is apparent there.

I just wish they had a more unique FD to show off their strengths.
  36. analia

analia Member

Where is I/K?
  37. laire

laire New Member

Elena injured her shoulder this summer, still recovering. They promised to be ready for COR.
  38. Macassar88

Well she never actually did those two positions in the same spin. Once she got the perfect Donut Kustarova went and ruined it by taking out the layback and giving her that awful biellman position that she can't hit.
    And I think that the spin will look better eventually. She dropped her boot and it was probably a fluke rather than a choreographed thing.
  39. Macassar88

Like doing Pink Floyd?
  40. Macassar88

Also, are Kavaguti and Smirnov really reusing their awful olympic fs music?!?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.