From Russia With Love - 3

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Eislauffan, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

But since Gorshkov, the president of the Russian federation, has said that Gachinki will go to the Worlds, isn't that official information?
  2. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

3. senorita

senorita New Member

They would send Voronov at Worlds?
    I prefer Menshov than Arthur, he is older, he is the national champion, he performed the Lp great and he has entertaining programs, i think Arthur might crack and his programs are not well this season, unless he would bring back the narcissus program, which I doubt.
  4. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

They promote each other.
  5. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

Rukavitsyn said to gazeta.ru that if Menshov skates the way he did in his LP in Bern, he will be an equal competitor for Plush, and even he can win him over. I think it means that Menshov is not planning to retire, for now.

Technically it should be the executive committee's decision. Maybe Rukavitsyn meant that official papers are not available yet.
  6. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I am behind on this. Does Russia have just one mens spot at worlds this year?
  7. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Yes.

And I wasn't suggesting that Voronov would maybe go to worlds; just commenting on what it seemed to have happened based on the free skate video. I wouldn't be surprised if he's relieved this season is over.
  8. senorita

senorita New Member

^ Voronov would be a better choice than the 3, he has more experience and when he is on he gets better marks than the other 3. I was just too surprised if RF would do something like this against the nationals results. Ok not TOO surprised but the contradiction with all the talking and US team selection would be huge. (stil I hope he gets back to Urmy)
    Now a 17 year old on his first trip to worlds needs to do very well, thats risky.
  9. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I love Sergei, but the poor kid hasn't been "on" all year unfortunately. Gachinski beat Voronov's Universiade score by 12 points ith his Euros performance....I guess that's earning it.
    Moka-Ananas and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Yeah...experience...but he wasn't competing this season internationally at all (and if he was, he withdrew after the SP) except for the Universiade. And he was beaten by both, Menshov AND Gachinski (and even Zhan Bush) at Russian Nats, so...
    But even if Voronov is brought into this discussion...why not consider Borodulin who won Estonian Nats after all? :rolleyes:

And I highly doubt Urmy would take Voronov back.
  11. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

It's a crapshoot no matter whom they send. Voronov has been to World's four times but only achieved a top ten finish once, and that was three years ago.
  12. DELTA

DELTA Member

He needs to gain experience. As for the Worlds result itself, there's not nothing to gain this year.
  13. senorita

senorita New Member

^ I know but it looks Arthur will have a huge load on his shoulders to bring back spots for Nice , thats all.
    Voronov reminds me of Abt in the sence of bad luck and injuries. And I hope Borodulin wont follow the same path. The last season was going so good for him until worlds, and I read somewhere when they reported last Worlds that the blade to break is 1/100000.. (dont remmeber how many zeros here).. possibility, less probable than winning the lottery.
  14. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Voronov is still injuried and can only do the toe jumps. Since he is no Laura Lepisto I doubt he can make it to the top 10 with only toe loop, loop and axel. Especially since he is not the most consistent skater ever.

Gachinski is injured as well, but his coach will not let him heal anyway. He is indeed only 17 and needs to gain experience and reputation to become Pluschenko n.2. That is, if he doesn't follow Shabalin's path with his knee.

Menshov is indeed the champion, but so far at his only big competition he managed to completely bomb his sp. No one promises that at worlds his LP would be like it was at the SP.

Bottom line - Russia has plenty of mediocre skaters, but no one who would be a safe bet to be sent to worlds. Assume it will be up to the reputation, coach, blah blah....
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Menshov is very inconsistent.

Gachinski seem a bit more consistent but being so young, at his first Worlds... I am betting on him bombing too. :p
  16. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

He's a Russian male skater of the last 10 years other than Plush or Yagudin....odds are good for bombing! ;)
  17. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

It's basically a matter of sending the one who will embarrass them the least. :slinkaway
  18. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

That is a very cute video -- no need to understand Russian.
  19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Yes: two Russian men started at last year's Worlds. Borodulin had trouble with his blade -- I think it broke -- and had to withdraw. He received 18 points for not making the FS. Voronov needed to be top 10 for 28 points or less to earn two spots for Tokyo, and he came in 14th.

It's such a shame because it so much harder for one man to make top 10 to get two spots than it is for two men to keep two spots.
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

21. IRIS1975

IRIS1975 New Member

Very beautiful. By the way the choreographer ob this program is Nikolai Morozov.
  22. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Wow, thank you for posting! Gorgeous. Some of the moves towards the end are lovely and original; love how the final lift is approached, and all the variations of the death spiral.
  23. senorita

senorita New Member

24. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Are there any news on Grigoriev? I think he could be a truly outstanding skater if he wasn't barred by all these injuries. :(
    Is he still considering to retire? :wuzrobbed
  25. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

:swoon: Thank you. I can't wait to see what they can do by 2014.
  26. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I just love how Tatiana is so sturdy on the jumps, yet so light in the air on the lifts. :swoon: He's not bad either. ;)

Their taste in music is reallllllllly boring though.
  27. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

No, this number was choreographed by Zhulin. The other one which they skated at Russian Nationals was choreographed by N. Morozov.

It's not their choice. That was obligatory music given to them by those who organized the event. AFAIK it was sung live.
  28. IRIS1975

IRIS1975 New Member

29. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

I bet Maxim was delighted to skate to lyrical snot again.
  30. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

I have read on Simonenko's blog (RIA Novosti) this stuff:

"The Story Of One Disaster.

When Menshov was skating his SP in Bern, Tarasova came to see it. She was sitting in the second row right after the place where sporstmen were going into the rink. The security guard tried to make Tarasova leave the place but she didn't let him do that.

"Kostya, I am here, with you."- those were the first words that Menshov heard when he went for the 6min warm-up.

"Kostya, move your arms, move it!"- shouted Tarasova after Menshov landed the first jump in warm-up.

"Stay calm, don't be afraid."- he heard next time.

"Go and rest. Then come back and do everything again. It won't be easy, Kostya!"- she said when Menshov and Rukavitsyn was leaving the ice after the warm-up.

During all the season Menshov was working with a psycologist, the professor Gorbunov. Rukavitsyn himself read tons of books in order to understand how he can help the guy to deal with psycological pressure. Finally, this season Menshov made the first great success in his career- he became the champion of Russia.

The preparation for Euros in Bern, the main competition in the skater's career, was done according to the strict plan (* I read in one of Menshov's interview that Rukavistyn, for example, deliberately was "making noise" to copy the crowds during Menshov's skating (Menshov didn't have enough international experience)- LT). In Bern, during the official trainings, Menshov, who was in the excellent sport form, didn't fail any quad and landed all of them.

His 14th place in SP was a disaster. The sportsman couldn't explain what happened with him. He was absolutely ready for Euros.

During Gachinski's skating Tarasova wasn't there."

I tried to read between the lines. It looks like the journalist wants to say that Menshov didn't have any psycological or physical reasons to skate the way he did in SP. But unexpected interference of Tarasova damaged his mood, somehow.

What is it? Is it the journalist's biased opinion, or there are some reasonable grounds? If it is the first case, I let the journalist think what he wishes. But if it is the second case, I think the Federation and Gorshkov should do something, like to talk to Tarasova in order to prevent such accidents in the future. I can understand perfectly well that when a coach who is not THE coach starts shouting his/her stuff, the sportsman might feel uncomfortable.

Ref. to Simonenko's blog:
    http://rian.ru/sportblog_simonenko/20110127/327165568.html
  31. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

32. Nan

Nan Just me

Beautiful! Thank you. :)
  33. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Let's talk - based on what that article says, Tarasova's behaviour sounds way too intrusive and surely did more harm than good.... :scream:
  34. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Gorgeous program.

Nice to know Morozov actually can choreograph something decent every once in a while.
  35. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

The one thing Menshov wasn't preparing for. Tarasova trying to be helpful by shouting things at him! Oh well.
  36. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

37. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

38. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Ooooh, well, not terribly surprising about M/T, though it is a shame. I can't open the link - are they continuing with other partners or quitting competitive skating?
  39. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

the article says that they are stopping completely and they say the lack of funding is the reason.

Well, that is the reason they give. ;)
  40. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

:fragile: I tought they were very well-matched and could have done well. Maybe we can get either Jerome or Yannick Kocon to skate with Joanna Sulej now that they're both partner-less.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.