From Russia With Love - 3

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Eislauffan, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Let's continue our discussion on news from Russia here. :)

The Russian dancers and the pair Bazarova/Larionov arrived today at Europeans in Bern. But they won't practice before tomorrow (Monday).

2. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

From the old thread, re Sotnikova's grandfather - I wonder if the information about him in the eg.ru interview is missing something. This website which was linked on Wikipedia documents all recipients of the Hero of the Soviet Union (including, despite the site's name, non-military recipients - for example, Yuri Gagarin and Fidel Castro are listed) and does not show any Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Kochetov as having received the order. Furthermore, none of the Kochetovs who received the order are still alive. (There is a Nikolai Pavlovich Kochetkov listed who is still living, but the interviewer would have really had to have messed up the name for this man to be Sotnikova's grandfather.) It seems like either the grandfather's name is different or he received a different award.

3. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Random note, but I saw that Daniil Gleichengauz, a former JGP competitor in men's singles, is now skating dance. He and his partner Ksenia Korobka finished 3rd at the Kuzmina memorial (score: 106.52). They are being coached by Zhulin.

Ivan Shefer and Ekaterina Rubleva are coaching in Svinin/Zhuk's group and were there with the novice dancers. Their teams finished 1st & 3rd. :)

Source: http://www.fskate.ru/news/316/

4. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

I doubt Adelina could confuse the name of the award that she mentioned in various interviews. That award is too special and too famous. Even a 14yo kid wouldn't make a mistake. Anyway, let's hope one day some journalist will ask her about the details, like why and for what exactly her granddad got this stuff.

Meanwhile, Andrei Lutai told sport-express that he is planning to come back to competitions next season. He will be training in Mishin's group like before. But he haven't decided yet either he will be representing Bulgaria, which gives him practically an automatic access to Euros and Worlds, or he will be skating under the Russian flag.

Volosozhar/Trankov, who have to rest now while everyone is in Euros, informed on their blog that Morozov made two exhibition programs for them that they are going to perform in "Art on ice" 3-9 Feb. Then they have a start in Italy.

5. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

Oleg Makarov said to allsport.ru that they didn't sign any contract with Rukavitsyn regarding his coaching Ksenia, but he added he will coach her till the end of this season. Have no idea what it legally means "coaching without a contract, at the same time he mentioned that Rukavitsyn will probably coach her till 2014. But it looks like they are having a second thought and maybe looking for someone who is closer to their home. Anyway, we'll see.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

What do you mean what does it mean? It means that they are simply working together without having signed any written agreement.

7. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Vaitsehovskaya's interview with Lutai
    He twice became a silver medalist at Russian nationals and became a constant Russian team member. He became 5th at his first European and was in top 10 in Worlds 2009. But the same year at the autumn was disastrous: after the Grand Prix event he was arrested by Lake Placid police, charged with dui and stealing a car.
    The story ended with the RFSF deciding to restrain him from the team for a year starting November 2009.
    During this year Lutai got married to a Bulgarian ice dancer Ina Demireva, moved to Sofia and last September became a father to Silvia.
    Lutai came to Bern as a coach of a Bulgarian skater Georgi Kenchadze. Right after the skater finished his preliminary round we met in the mixed zone with Lutai.

EV: Andrey, congrats for your first competition as a coach and for becoming a father. I have to say that in K&C you looked more like a skater than a coach. Do you consider going back on the ice?
    AL: Yes. I skate and keep in shape.

EV: Who will be your coach should you decide to come back?
    AL: Alexey Mishin, just like before.

EV: Did your Autumn story come between you?
    AL: No. moreover Alexey Nikolaevich told me himself to stop being stupid and come back skating. Hence my coaching now is just a break in my skating.

EV: Is Kenchadze your only pupil?
    AL: There are some kids, but they are yet too far from the Europeans level.

EV: Were you very nervouos during his skate?
    AL: Not really. But, frankly, think I would have enjoyed skating myself much more.

EV: Which country will you represent should you come back?
    AL: I havent' decided yet. I don't have the Bulgarian citizenship yet, but we are handling the paper work now. I live in Sofia. In general we discussed my comeback with the Bulgarian federation, I reckon they are interested in my representing Bulgaria.
    But I'll repeat: I have not made a decision yet. Of course representing Bulgaria I'll be able to participate all the championships but despite that I might wish to remain skating for Russia even though there is a chance I will not make it to the team taking the level of the Russian skaters. It's a serious question and there are a lot of considerations.

EV: Good luck and I wish you to come back fast.
    AL: Thanks, this is what I really want.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  8. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Vaitsehovskaya talking to Dmitriev about Gerboldt/Enbert "Gerboldt believed instantly Moskvina and I"

The Russians Katarina Gerboldt/Alexandr Enbert drew the judges attention at their first ever Europeans starting their SP. Despite several mistakes the pupils of Tamara Moskvina and the two time Olympic Champion Arthur Dmitriev became fifth. They were just 5 points behind far more experienced compatriots Vera Bazarova/Yuri Larionov.

AD: I was very pleased Katarina and Alexandr took everything in the right proportions, commented Arthur, I saw they were not just skating in a whatever will be - will be manner, but keep in contact with each other, react to our commands. They were doing their jobs. The regular viewers wouldn't see or understand that, but I speak the same language they do, and have a different point of view.

EV: Their main mistake was on a split twist. Do you know why it happened?
    AD: In my point of view the split twist is the hardest element of the pairs skating. In a split of a second it concentrates the maximum power and speed. Combining speed, power and pace is hard on the ice. Working on that element takes much more time than any other element. Besides, it's a very dangerous element. Take my word as an ex pair skaters. You might get a bad kick on the head any moment.

EV: With what?
    AD: Anything. Boot, knee, elbow... I was lucky with my both partners and managed to get away, but many got injured.

EV: What is Gerboldt/Enbert's strongest point as a pair?
    AD: They both love what they are doing. They want to skate, to progress. If the skater is not interested to work it's useless. With them I see not only they do everything the coaches ask them to, but actually enjoy it. Now we just need them to progress faster.

EV: Taking into an account they were only paired less than a year ago it would be an exaggeration to call their progress slow, wouldn't it?
    AD: Agree. Of course Alexandr, as a partner was ready to any work. As for Katarina - we decided from the very beginning she doesn't have time. At all. Hence we decided the only thing she could do was to listen very carefully to what Tamara Nikolaevna and I are saying and just take it for granted, without questioning. You have an assignment - go and do it. Don't think of anything but what you were told to do.
    The skater trusting you is a very important thing. Katarina trusts us. She was surprised herself the things worked for her - she landed the throws and the jumps, but, of course, at first the trainings were sort of a shock therapy.

EV: Were you worried she might not handle the pressure?
    AD: I had my doubts. Especially as there were some disruptions.

EV: Such as?
    AD: She has such a knee structure, that if she does a throw jump as it is common in the pairs skating she most likely will be injured. So we took our time with the throws and first prepared the muscles and changed the throws technique in such a way that would be most convenient for Katarina. In general those changes are not too complicated, just not all the partners are open enough to learn them.

EV: So Katarina and Alexandr were lucky to be paired with each other?
    AD: Of course. Besides, they both have German last names. Two Germans would always get along.

9. senorita

senorita New Member

Thanx for interviews.
    They will send G/E to Worlds? or B/L?

I guess no I /M?? :fragile:

10. icewalker08

icewalker08 New Member

B&L goes for sure beside K&S and V&T.

11. Slowdive

Slowdive New Member

When does the junior competition begin to see who goes to Junior Worlds?

12. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

This week

13. Slowdive

Slowdive New Member

Thanks!
    Any info on who's competing?

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Tahbka, thanks so much as always for your translations! <3

Gerboldt/Enbert skated very well at Euros but I still can't get over the fact of Ilushechkina/Maisuradze being robbed of that spot. :(

I hope they can skate well at the Universiade at least.

Lutai should skate for Bulgaria. I understand national pride but he's married now and Bulgarian Fed will bend over backwards to have him on the team.

15. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

Thank you Tahbka!!!

I love G&E so much, they are so happy on the ice, and they have the right lines and stroking for pairs, they are very pleasing to the eye, very harmonious!!

The joy they have for skating really shine through in all they do:)

16. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

Oh, thanks.

Gorshkov said Gachinski will got to the Worlds. Decided.

17. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

All that info is in a thread in the Kiss & Cry section of the forum.

18. Pavla2304

Pavla2304 Active Member

19. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I was looking to see who would be going to worlds for the men. I knew Euros would decide it but like I was still googling Gachinksi in Russian to find out! LOL. Overall placement mattered and not Menshov's 4th place free skate.

20. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

I agree with you. I think they shoud have given the chance to Menshov. First, I want to see the 4loop successfully landed in competitions, especially landed by the champion of Russia. It never happened before in FS history and Menshov is the only one who can land it. Second, Menshov's skating is in the style that will never question the skater's masculinity. And, it's probably his last chance. Gachinski is: with a not good trauma and he should cure it, he is too young, we will see him next year and the year after. Now he just should recover. But the FSFR think about two spots for the worlds 2012 and they think Gachinski is more stable and therefore more reliable.:rolleyes:

21. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Bah. They should be sending Menshov. Not that being national champion has mattered ever if that person then bombs at Euros for some reason.

22. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

It's a pity that we are able to see so few of the photos that they have shot in this session. The magazine printed a few, now there are a few in this blog and they are all very beautiful. I would like to see many more. Actually, if there were a V/T calender I might consider buying it. :shuffle:

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

So Gachinskii and Ilynikh/Katsalapov are confirmed for Worlds?

Or only rumours for now?

24. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Alexei Gorshkov said in an interview that Riazanova/Tkachenko are not going to Worlds, so I/K it is.

25. Yukari Lepisto

Yukari Lepisto Active Member

oh wow.. i just realized that russia only has two spots for dance.. :eek: Sad for R/T, but very happy for I/K as well, hope they can get three spots again for next year.

26. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

A little contradicting information in Russian press. Earlier Gorshkov said in Bern that Gachinski will got to the worlds. But later Rukavitsyn said to Sovsport and Baltinfo that he still does not have any official information. Menshov is currently training as usual. He added that if FSFR decides that Gachinski will go to the worlds, Menshov will be engaged in a show.

27. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

So does that mean Menshov is going to retire?

28. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Me too.

29. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

I am afraid nobody can answer this question right now, neither FSFR, nor Rukavitsyn, nor Menshov himself.:)

I still want to see 4Loop done in competition! We have seen a lot of 4T and some 4S and that is all. That would be great if a new quad landed successfully in competitions. For now, Menshov and Plush are the only ones who can land it. New Quad!!! New Quad!!! :encore: :cheer:

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Kevin Reynolds is landing 4loops in practice and was supposed to attempt one at Canadian Nationals.

Kevin Van Der Perren used to land it in practice too, years ago, back in his heyday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.