From Russia With Love - 2012 Off Season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Eislauffan, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Lubov is 20 years old. She was born 5.11.1991, so this year she will be 21.
    But I agree that how the coach talks about her is not right. If she speaks about her like that to other people, that begs question what was going on when there was no public present.

2. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

We do know that Lubov thought that her trouble with jumps was that she was not thin enough and that she was trying to lose even more weight while the coach tried to get her to eat more.
    For an outsider this certainly sounds worrisome but like you I would not like to call it an eating disorder right away because sometimes labelling might do more harm than good.

3. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

:rolleyes:

Please link me the article where Lubov herself says she was abused. I would also like a link to Nodari's article of him explaining his side of the story. Without those, I refuse to place blame on anyone. For all we know Lubov could have been having problems at home that spilled over to the work place. At least with the rape victim we do hear her side of the story and then the guys defense, and then we can come to a conclusion based on what's presented. Here, where are such statements?? I'm sure one day it will come out and I refuse to place blame until then.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

New Bobrova/Soloviev article: http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/05/bobrova-and-soloviev-a-new-beginning/

5. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

B/S needs no more CuLi2, DiSt2 like in 2012 world free dance

6. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

LMAO, not sure if he intended it to sound bad or not... :rofl:

Yes, at the end of the day, that's all that matters now in ice dance. They can dye their hair blue if they want, but they need to execute the elements.

I bet the new style will be some bluesy sexy crossovers thing like Parisienne Walkways or Pink Panther. :blah:

7. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Deleted post

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  8. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

aha, rolling your eyes at Lubov is not making a judgement then. Interesting.

9. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

ITA, their problem was not style, it was execution. Zhulin may help them with the execution and that's good, but making them into a completely different team by changing their appearance and style has nothing to do with improving them; its just vanity.

10. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

What would be the point of changing coaches and then keeping everything the same? :confused:

I'm looking forward to the Parisienne Walkways/Pink Panther free. :cheer: ;) It certainly can't be any worse to some of the shite they've skated to these past few seasons. :p

zotza and (deleted member) like this.
  11. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I don't see anyone saying they should keep everything the same. They need to improve their execution.

But if you want to think that all they need to do is cater to your pedestrian tastes, so be it. :p

12. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I'm really excited to see their new dances
    Although I admit that I was a fan of their very Russian style with her elegant beauty.
    I'm just glad that well never have to see another Delilah...

13. zotza

zotza allergic to brainless skaters

I think that the execution problems came from the mere fact that probably they didn't even like what they were skating to_Of course,I can't wait to see what the next damage control strategy will be.Maybe they will be accused of being N/K now.It's ok,I loved N/K.:lol:

I love the russian style but the problem was that their coaches couldn't understand that they're 22 year old kids and even if you follow this style you have to highlight it in a more contemporary way.
    Ok I'm excited.But it still seems surreal that Zhulin is their coach.:lol:

14. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Zhulin also said that he will work with them on the technical aspects. He is well aware of them loosing levels. I liked Bobrova/Soloviev's "Melody of the White Nights" free dance but overall I felt they were always doing the same kind of program more or less. What Zhulin plans now is quite different. It looked very promising.

15. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

:cheer2: I am so excited to see all the changes for all the Russian dance teams and I don't even like dance :rofl:!!!

Thanks for the article Sylvia!!!!

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Zhulin.

B/S have great basics but their style was just beyond :yawn: and - with few exceptions - all their programs looked the same.

Can't wait to see their new routines.

And I'll take Navka/Kostomarov's smooth, flowing crossovers and "Pink Panther" voids over 99% of ice dance teams.

This.

I used to consider Pavlova to be the best Russian pairs coach but after all of this came to light...

17. Macassar88

Yeah I really liked that program but I wish that it had a little more variation.

18. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Wait till Zhulin whips out that sexy Navka headband :p

Maybe an exciting Enigma or Sade FD like he did with Pasha :eek:

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Re-posting from the Grand Prix Assignments thread:
    Men
    Two: Gachinski (Canada/Russia)
    One: Voronov (Japan), Menshov (US), Dmitriev (China), Bush (Russia), TBA (Russia)

20. AKISIN

AKISIN New Member

Does anyone know what Hoffman/Zavozin's status is?
    Do they continue skating in Moscow?

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

H/Z split last season before their scheduled GP. He was coaching. I believe she's back in Hungary.

22. sbanet

sbanet Well-Known Member

From a couple of articles in the Hungarian sports press about this during mid March, don't have time to translate at the moment, so here's a short news synopsis from those:

First article from 2012.03.09 re: Hungarian Skating Federation
    http://www.origo.hu/sport/egyeb/tel...n-nora-makszim-zavozin-jegtancparos-es-a.html

Federation contacted Nóra to discuss what sort of budget she would need per year to continue with a partner. (Namely a substantial chunk of the funds allocated to the entire skating federation - including junior skaters, speed skaters, etc.) Article goes on state how stretched the federation is, and how :eek: expensive ice time is these days in Hungary. (Apparently a lot more than it is in Sweden, fwiw...)

Second article, dated 2012.03.19 is a rather gossipy piece from Sport Géza with a bit of :drama: divatude from Nóra and some nice pictures. :cool: (Goggle translate at your own peril :p)
    http://sportgeza.hu/sport/telisport/2012/03/19/ne_hulyitsuk_egymast/
    Nóra contacted the Federation to thank them, and to officially notify the end of her ice-dance partnership with Maksim. There still might be possibility for Nóra to team up with another partner for Sochi and 2014 Euros in Bp, but only if she can find someone who has the potential to bring good results - she's not going to skate just for the hell of it.

At that time, Nóra was still in Moscow, working at the same skating/snow-sports complex where Maks has been coaching kids. The salary potential/opportunities are better in Moscow, however, she would consider returning to Hungary if there is a good situation for her there.

(Hope that works for you all...) :)

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  23. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Bad luck draw for Sinitsina/Zhiganhsin :(
    I hope I don't jinx it

24. Macassar88

I'm kind of worried about Bobrova and Soloviev during the gp season. They face off against weaver poje both times while facing off against Davis and white at skate America and Pechalat Bourzat and Sinitsina Zhiganshin at cup of china. So even with significant improvements they may not even reach the grand prix final. It's a pity because some of the other events namely TEB and skate America have much easier fields to get a second place finish.

25. aliona22

aliona22 Member

:inavoid:

:swoon:

i can't wait.

26. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

I think its a double edge sword switching to Zhulin
    either they'll really get noticed or be buried in the competitions and have a splatfest working on their terminal techniques. I'll go with the latter. :scream:

27. Macassar88

I guess the good sign is that, even with their shitacular programs from last season, they were still getting huge program components. With level fours instead of leek twos they probably would have been in the mix for a medal. So even small improvements should give them a chance to move up the skating totem pole.
    Also, if they can show a dramatic style change (no pun intended) they may get even higher scores for doing something different. I thought that a bunch of the small changes that virtue and Moir made last season detracted from their programs and were clearly just for points, but they got rewarded for it. Maybe the same thing can happen for BS
    my main hope for their programs though is that they show off the pair's great lines
    I always thought that katia's donut and skate to head layback were exquisite.

28. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

29. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

? Do you mean Skate Canada in the last sentence, because B&S are already going to Skate America, where it will be easy to finish third, but hard to earn 2nd or 1st. And TEB has the same lineup at the top as Skate Canada.

Skate America - D&W, W&P, B&S
    Skate Canada-V&M, C&L, and Gilles & Poirier, R&T-it's a shallow field
    Cup of China-P&B, W&P, B&S
    Cup of Russia-V&M, I&K, S&S
    TEB-P&B, C&L, Gilles & Poirier, R&T again
    NHK-D&W, I&K, S&S

30. Macassar88

Yeah I meant Skate Canada.
    Basically, the two GP's that have Gilles and Poirier as well as Riazanova and Tkachenko.
    The ones with the Shibs and Ilinykh and Katsalapov are probably the second tier and the two that they're in are the top tier.
    It should make for some good rivalries though. The COC podium could easily be the 3 4 and 5 place at Worlds this season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.