From Russia With Love - 2012 Off Season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Eislauffan, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zotza

zotza allergic to brainless skaters

I liked the interview.It seems they clearly understood all the problems and want to change things radically.
    I prefer Zhulin to Krylova too,he's good at doing exactly what B/S need: packaging and choreography.

2. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

This.

But I am so happy to see more couples going to Zhulin. The programs from the Azerbajanis this season were my highlight. The Junior Worlds program from I/K were stunning. He has great and voidy ideas and I cannot wait to see it all.

But the combination from Zhulin (voidy) an B/S (dry as rice) is weird. I wonder who will prevail. ;)

3. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

The Gold and Silver positions are not voidy at all. Maybe P/B were voidy with their Mummy program but one mistake and they would have been off the podium again to non voidy W/P like last year with non-voidy S/S.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Great decision by Bobrova/Soloviev. They need a style injection and posture/lines revamp (she's almost horizontal :p) and Zhulin can do that, I think.

5. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

Same here. I still have hope for B/S since they were able to pull off that fun Russian sailors OD...:D

Moka-Ananas and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Epic program. :D

But I also loved their Chess SD. It was simple but suited their style very well.

7. shah

shah Shhh...

I think it's a good move on B/S side. I'm also glad they are aware of their flaws and are going to start from scratch. I really like this team and it was sad for me to see their technical regress (and Kustarova's constant whining about unjustified and unfounded low levels - oh well...).
    if only I/K stayed with Zhulin...

as for Kustarova/Alexeeva - if the rumours about Sinitsina/Zhiganshin are true, it will truly be a disaster for them. first Monko/Khaliavin, now B/S, soon (hopefully) S/Z. at least they still have Yanovskaia/Mozgov (who are turned into Bobrova/Soloviev clones...).

8. shah

shah Shhh...

their best programmes!

otoh, they had 'Delilah' and a free dance to Il Divo's 'Adagio' :scream:

9. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Yes I liked that too.

zotza and (deleted member) like this.
  10. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I really liked that OD. :slinkaway

11. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Kind of like Svinin & Zhuk... K&N split, Rubleva/Shefer retired, Pushgash/Guerreiro went to Linichuk, so now they just have Starygina/Volobiev and Stepanova/Bukin (according to wiki anyway). And frankly I thought they were much better coaches/more creative than Kustarova/Alexeeva. :shuffle:

12. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Russian ice dance is looking like the Hunger Games of ice dancing :lol:

13. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Yes, they were so fresh then! Like a good risotto, not dry rice to which Hedwig compared them.

14. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

well that could still be true
    everyone doubted B/S leaving Kustarova

I am sure sooner or later S/Z will also leave them :shuffle:

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I <3 Svinin and Zhuk.

16. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I have to say that I hope B/S have some good fortune and improve. I have always enjoyed them, really loved their Sailor OD and their R&J FD so I would like to see them have some more success. They seem like such nice people, too!

As far as I/K...I know she has a lot of fans but honestly when I watched them at WTT, I found myself glued to him, he seems to have a lot of personality on the ice. I like them, too, but I'd rather see B/S as Russian #1 for a while...they deserve it, especially if they can make some improvements.

17. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Remember Zhulin/PASHA number to Enigma ? Imagine if he gave them something in that style :eek:

18. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

The problem is whatever voidy ideas he has, Tarasova can butt in with her opinions and have the Russian fed change it. She did it to DomShabs in 07-08 and R&T in 2010-11.

19. iris81

iris81 Member

20. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Well that's certainly disappointing.

21. misskarne

misskarne #408

:cheer: :cheer2: :cheer:

Part of me is a wee bit disappointed that Artur's not keeping his programs from this season. I usually despise recycled programs but I really loved his SP and thought the LP could be made into something amazing. But the other part of me is all :swoon: at the idea of Artur working with David Wilson!

This is probably not as "bad" as it sounds since I imagine a skater of Plushy's level and experience is able to take in and memorise a lot of choreography very quickly.

22. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Hm glad Mishin's skaters are using a new choreographer, but I'm not a fan of David Wilson.

I hope Camerlango at least consulted with Plushenko about music and themes over e-mail or the phone prior to the meeting, otherwise I really don't see the point. I get that Plush would plan his jumps/elements layout beforehand and just have the choreographer add some flourishes, but what he really needs is new ideas so I hope Camerlango provided them.

23. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I guess they're trying to package Liza as the next Kim Yuna (with a triple loop)

24. Anya

Anya Active Member

I do not have particularly high hopes for Gachinsky's and Tuktamysheva's programs "by Wilson". Mishin already had an experience of sending Lutai to Dickson and those who had been lucky enough to see run-throughs right after the returned from the States said that the programs looked great. Unfortunately, by the time the season was on the choreography was down to usual "set up - jump - pose - set up - jump" stuff typical for Mishin camp :( From what I heard Gachinsky collaboration with Lambiel last season went along the same lines.

But I am keeping fingers crossed for better outcome this time around.

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Wilson's style doesn't seem to suit Gachinski's style at all, I am surprised at this decision.

As for Liza, she needs to find her own style but I don't think she's a balletic pretty princess. I'd rather pick Tom Dickson for her and do something voidy. Wilson is much better with more classical programs.

In other words, expect the usual crap. :p

And this is the crux of the issue. :(

26. FarFarAway

FarFarAway Choice is an illusion

So you mean Mishin changes their choreo? I wonder why :(

27. care bear

care bear Active Member

Maybe he thinks that choreo is not important at all, only jumps and spins are important, but for judges he has a name of Wilson to get higher PCS.

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

This.

29. shine

shine Well-Known Member

No, he just takes it out. Because it's much easier to jump when you don't waste energy on unimportant transitions?

30. Anya

Anya Active Member

Because according to him the only purpose of choreography is to produce a program which allow a skater to land his/her jumps :rolleyes: I do not recall an exact quote, but it went along the lines that a skater should be 'comfortable' with his program and 'comfortable' = 'landing jumps'. Anything that interferes with landing quads is not worth a bother.

The sad thing is that Gachinsky, who has been asked about working with Lambiel on a number of occasions recently, always praised his skills, his ability to use blades and his entire body and so on, and I had a feeling that he is truly interested in developing this kind of skills in himself, but unfortunately I do not see it happening in his current camp :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.