From Russia With Love - 2012 Off Season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Eislauffan, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martyross

martyross Active Member

gee, it sounds like a bunch of internet posters are the Mighty Judges to whom the skaters owe great results! :confused: the level of self-importance (??) around here is really ridicolous!
    i don't know how to insert the reputation thing, so I'll thank Cherub here for all his/her recent posts. :)

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Was the pairs test skate today (Sunday)? I hope Martiusheva-Rogonov do better this year.

3. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I read on the Russian forums that Bobrova will be wearing a pale pink dress for the SD and Dimitri will be wearing a dark blue Hussar's outfit. Apparently TAT didn't like their programs that much.

Also, the russian fed supposedly told BS to go to Shpilband but they opposed it (probs because Dima has a family in Moscow)

4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Soloviev may be young but he has been married years now and has a family. It's not you are dealing with the usual singles. I personally do not want to read so much focus on their clothes! It is the first thing that all the people see but ...seriously!! It's not their biggest problem.

5. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Nowadays, that's a good sign.

6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

You beat me to it :lol:

7. caseyedwards

I think she was most influential with Riazinova and Tkachenko and they stayed at 3 (and she only deals with programs but they also had the lowest tech).

8. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

True. :lol: But if they're the Russian champs and Tarasova isn't supportive, that's not a great sign... or does she have some beef with Zhulin?

9. caseyedwards

There was criticism of him by her with the issues around I/K but they are just major controversy causers in Russian ice dance. But they must have such a long history so it might be something else.

10. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

I think these costumes sound nice though :) I think Bobrova will look pretty in a light-pink dress.

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Maybe not the biggest, but if her posture has improved so that she's now the second coming of John Curry, you would never know it in those heavy, voluminous monstrosities -- second only to Kharis Ralph's Cinderella dress -- she used to wear.

12. Penniless Rostrum

Penniless Rostrum Looking for my siggy!!!

Any sign of Gorshkova & Butikov ? or have they retired?:(

13. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Its done with the test skates
    on Russian forum they say Kavaguti/Smirnov had interesting SP
    Bazarova/Larionov are in good shape also Stolbova/Klimov now have triple twist
    Martiusheva/Rogonov had some trouble and Martisuheva fell on something

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. lulu

lulu New Member

Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing Kavaguti/Smirnov's SP.

15. Minou

Minou Member

No. Roger Williams popularized Autumn Leaves/Les feuilles mortes in the US. The music was written by Joseph Kosma on a theme of Massenet. (poème d'octobre). The words are from a poem by Jacques Prévert.

Yves Montand did introduce the song. Edith Piaf had a hit with it too. What a beautiful video. Thank you to whomever posted it. You made my day.

16. Macassar88

I think that the reasoning for that being the focus is that their costumes from last year were disasters. Also, they are much easier to describe than the actual skating.

17. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

In some way their costumes really were a mirror on their skating and style... out of date, strangely over the top, accentuating all the wrong points... and now they may be sleeker, streamlined, and modern. I get what Zhulin is doing.

18. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

euler likes this.
  19. Macassar88

I don't really like his costume, but I think she looks great

Still have mixed feelings on the voidy ending - but I like the program on the whole
    They got low tech marks (in the 30's) but good PCS's
    I wonder how they will be judged internationally

20. kapriza

kapriza Member

wow, lovely dress. she looks so pretty and young! costumes she used to wear made her look old.

21. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

Though I see some improvements with the speed and overall impression with Bobrova-Soloviev, the end of the program, the last minute or so is just anti-climatic, very borring and it completely lost my attention.

22. Macassar88

Does anyone know what Bobrova and Soloviev scored at last year's russian test skates?

23. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

hmm, an improvement there and at least I wasn't snoozing
    I do agree the ending is anti climatic, the should edit the ending music cuts

shame we dont get to see Bobrova/Soloviev, Riazanova/Tkachenko and Ilinykh/Katsalapov doing the test skates at the same time to fully evaluate :(

24. caseyedwards

The video is out!

The costumes were not good before

Wish a level 4 was as spottable as a 3A or something

I found one where before the GP they hit 71 in October

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80000

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

She looks lovely.

26. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link! I think this SD is promising - in my opinion, the lighter themes really suit them better than the very heavy programs they have had recently. This program reminds me of how charming I found their Russian folk ODs. They need to rework the ending (or maybe they got ahead of the music?) but overall I think this program has potential. Looking forward to seeing the FD and how they develop over the season.

And Bobrova looks lovely. :)

27. Macassar88

The ending has always been like that. I think Zhulin likes ending a little differently than most. Like Mozart, he doesn't believe that a piece of art has to end with a bang. Remember how he did Charlie Chaplin for Pechalat and Bourzat? There was a big climax and then a light hearted ending. Now he has a voidy ending.

Also, they really scored 71 in an SD at a Russian test skate?!? I guess TAT must be politicking majorly against them.

28. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I like it! But I hope he changes his costume. It looks so bulky and heavy especially as compared to her light and lovely look. The loose jacket just doesn't work, he would look much better with a more streamlined look. I think this will be a good SD for them.

29. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

Makarova's Long program. Maybe an abbreviated version at only 3:30 minutes and 3 jumps??

30. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.