From Russia With Love - 2012 Off Season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Eislauffan, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Who is your source? And hopefully we'll some improvement in them. Despite the overall sentiment of the board, I really like them and think they have a lot of potential especially if he can highlight their lines.

2. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Riazanova-Tkachenko will work with Zoueva-Shpilband

http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20120424/593415258.html

Riazanova/Tkachenko and Alexei Gorshkov, their coach, are leaving to the U.S. on Thursday (April 26).

Tkachenko: "The main advantage of working in Zoueva/Shpilband group will be the fact that we are going to work with new people, and I'm sure our programs will also be new, unlike anything we have done before. We will also benefit from training with very strong teams, it will be a learning experience for us. (In Odintsovo) we were skating mostly by ourselves."

"We get along very well with our future training mates, mostly with Lithuanians (Isabella Tobias/Deividas Stagniunas), but with the Canadians and the Americans as well. They even offered to stay with them when we come. So I'm sure everything will be positive."

"We were picking the music for the next season's programs, but it was before we knew we were going to the U.S. So we will start from scratch. Marina Zoueva has ideas for the new programs, she even said she had in mind a program specifically for us. We will see what it is."

They will stay in the U.S. until June 10.

"This will be a recognizing visit for us, we will set programs. When we come back to Moscow in June, we will know exactly when we will go to Zoueva/Shpilband next time. It's definitely not a one time thing."

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
    kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Bobrova/Soloviev have switched to Zhulin - Zhulin confirms

http://mn.ru/sports_figure/20120425/316488913.html

On April 24 they said their goodbyes to their previous coaches, the day before that the move was discussed with vice-minister of sports Yuri Nagornykh.

Zhulin says that it was the athletes' decision, they wanted to change something because they have been stalling for a couple of seasons. Their teamwork (B/S and Zhulin) will last until Sochi, maybe beyond. First thing he's going to change - their hairstyles.

4. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

:rofl:
    Hoping B/S achieve the improvements they desire,

Plus good luck to R/T theyre my fav Russian dance team, so hoping they kick some butt :D

5. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

I'm afraid their problems are in the TERMINAL stage and can never be fixed
    I will eat dirt if I see an improvement from B/S

another sad note.
    Sinitsina/Zhiganshin will be the new Bobrova/Soloviev
    Kustarova will ruin them:duh::angryfire

6. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Zhulin talks about Bobrova/Soloviev's move (they started working together on April 25):

http://www.rsport.ru/figure_skating/20120425/593548657.html

"They already train in my group, starting today. They thought they need to change their skating style, their appearances. And they decided to come to me".

He also said that preparation to the new season has already begun, but there will be two week break that starts on May 13.

He insists that he won't be paying any less attention to the former Juniour world champions Ksenia Monko/Kirill Khalyavin who also train in his group.

"I will share my time evenly. It's my principle. I never give any special treatment and work the same with everyone".

He said that he invited additional experts who will help him in his work: "(Oleg) Volkov already works in our group, Sergei Petukhov (from Odintsovo) will also work with us. I think also about inviting Maxim Stavisky, maybe not full-time".

7. Macassar88

I love how blunt Russians are. First article talks about how B/S's nickname was mothballs.

8. tralfamadorian

tralfamadorian Member

I'm so happy about this switch, can't wait to see what Zhulin does with them!

9. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

10. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

As a B&S fan, I'm thrilled to read this news! :cheer:

11. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to next season, big changes for B&S. R&T are dipping their toes in Canton. Sensing it is going to be a crazy season next fall and everyone better be pulling some great FD ideas out of their bag.

12. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Can't wait for the next season either. I/K might not be a lock for the Russian No.1 status after all. The Russian ice dance should be no less bloodbath than the Russian ladies. :watch:

13. zotza

zotza Active Member

I'm just...happy!!!!

14. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

They all need to be getting level 4's on their spins, step sequences, lifts, twizzles and all the technical things. That is the problem with all the Russian teams and why none has medaled at a world championships since 2009. Levels is the number one issue. Not anything with programs. They all need to start from scratch really with the technical part.

15. Macassar88

That's good. Intense competition means that there should be a lot more improvement than the years when B/S were Russian #1's without any rivals.

16. Macassar88

Very true. After all, B/S were getting very high Program Components, and with better tech, the judges probably would have given them even higher components to match.

17. caseyedwards

This is just the major issue. The PCS for B/S was fine and with better programs could be higher but they can't be doing level 2 step sequences. They are not like R/T or I/K who might get a string of level 1's in some competitions but B/S do tend to have problems with tech.

18. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

This is good news.

19. Macassar88

Definitely. With Bobrova and Soloviev, they usually are fine with twizzle, spin and lift levels, but footwork and pattern dance levels are what screwed them over. I think they can definitely be top five with higher levels, and hopefully they can get even higher. Ice Dance is amazing at the top of the sport, so it's going to be really hard for them to be medal contenders, but hopefully they continue to improve for Sochi.

On top of the levels, I hope that Zhulin gives them programs that showcase their lines. I felt that this year's free dance had two great lifts that did that, but the program on the whole made them look rushed. If they can simplify and focus on what they do best, I think we'll see a significant increase in program components.

20. aliona22

aliona22 New Member

21. Michalle

Michalle New Member

I'm still sad that I/K left Zhulin in the first place. Sigh. I loved their junior worlds programs the year they destroyed the competition.

22. love_skate2011

a Kustarova APOCALYPSE !!! :2faced:

the talented Sinitsina/Zhiganshin has also moved to Nechaeva & Chesnichenko
    GOOBYE KUSTAROVA and GOOD RIDDENS !

23. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

What?

24. love_skate2011

25. caseyedwards

There first senior season was such a failure and they were tired of only ever working with Volkov.

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The Russian Fed could book a charter to Detroit at this rate.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Anya

Anya Member

The user on the Russian forum, who poster the news about Sinitsina/Zhiganshin, has proved to be very unreliable in the past. Hardly any of his 'news' turned out to be true.

28. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I like Nechaeva & Chesnichenko (great ODs with Samuelson/Bates but need some new choreographers for FDs) so I hope that it's true.

As an I&K fan I am very jealous that all these other teams are moving to good coaches. :(

29. Macassar88

Interview with Dimitri

http://rsport.ru/interview/20120425/593599061.html

Apparently there was an offer from Krylova to work with her, but they chose Zhulin instead. I don't understand completely, but I think it may have been that they didn't want to be in the same group as Weaver/Poje as well as Pechalat/Bourzat.

- Поговаривали о том, что Анжелика Крылова хочет поработать с российской парой. Не было желания перебраться в Штаты?

- Да, было такое предложение, и мы тоже над ним думали. Но у Крыловой есть канадская пара (Кэйтлин Уивер/Эндрю Поже), и трудно было сказать, на кого бы сделали ставку. А Жулин обещал, что будет с нами работать и полностью менять, приглашать специалистов из разных областей – и по актерскому мастерству, и по хореографии, будем работать над костюмами.

They said that working hard on their technique as well as their image on ice. They mentioned starting from zero which probably means skating skills and posture issues.

Their PCS were already really high for what they were doing. Imagine how much higher they'll be with these improvements. Also, I hope that they can work on getting their levels especially on footwork and pattern dances because they weren't having trouble with the other elements for the most part.

30. Macassar88

I think that going to Zhulin may actually be better than Krylova just because Krylova had a reputation for being too OTT, and that may make judges less likely to give Bobrova and Soloviev a chance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.