From Russia With Love - 2012 Off Season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Eislauffan, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

And here is the new Russia thread!

Since we are rapidly approaching the end of the season I chose this title.

2. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Let the crazy rumors begin

3. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

mukhortova/maisuradze :D

i just won´t give up hoping for her comeback until she´s 40+ :cool:

4. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

If he is on IPS, it means that he is open to a partner from another country. I don't see the Russian Fed release him easilly. Russia has so many talented girls right now and some of them could switch to pairs.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I want to quote kwanfan1818's post from the last thread because she made a very good point:

This is why Morozov is such a successful coach, I believe.

He makes his students confident and they become more consistent.

Yes he is a total jerk in some aspects, but if you don't discuss the "character" of Japanese people with him (which I imagine is not something you really do with your coach, if at all) and don't fornicate with him (well that's one problem area :p), you actually get loads from him as a coach (note: I don't mean that kind of loads this time :p).

Make sure he doesn't fancy you before enrolling his services, I guess? :p

6. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Give up hope, she is skating in shows.

7. mazzy

mazzy Active Member

Easier said then done, I suppose. :shuffle:
    As much as I dislike Morozov, there's no denying that he usually gets good results and thus I can't fault skaters for wanting to be coached by him.
    What I cannot understand is why his programmes are marked the way they are by the judges. I don't like most of Nichol's work but at least I can usually see that most of the ISU bullets for CH/TR are checked...the love Morozov is getting from judges is confusing.

8. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I heard Mishkutenok/Maisuradze are trying out for 2012/13. Is it true?!

:cheer2:

9. Jeschke

not half a day you let me dream :D

10. Jeschke

i don´t like some programs, but i think he really did great jobs. mikis 'memoirs of a geisha' and 'the mission' short programs were really great. especially the 2009 was absolutely great, don´t understand some 'bad comments' about her short program last year.
    miki had great exhibition numbers of him too; and she´s the best example how he could affect a skater. look at miki 2004, 2007 and now.
    even at her first world title (although i am/was a big fan of her) she wa sfar beyond from where she is now. she really becomes an artistic skater, great performances and interpretations.

in ice dance and pairs skating it´s different. most of the programs are lacking of something and often not suited well to the skaters.

11. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll give her one more year, but she need to come back with someone really good!

12. Macassar88

Yes.
    And according to Esta, PASHA WILL RETURN TO SAVE ICE DANCE

13. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Ahhh, but that's in SOLO ICE DANCE ;)

14. zotza

zotza allergic to brainless skaters

She can pair up with Yana:cool:

15. DORISPULASKI

Without doubt, they will RULE.

16. Macassar88

And Marina Annisina will come back to Russia so she can lift each of them with one arm.

17. martyross

martyross Active Member

thanks for this info, aka gerbil! i had no idea that the outstanding choreographer was a primo ballerino from La Scala. cool.
    too bad that ice dance has not developed in that direction. those were pure works of art.

i found an interview where he says that in order to be a good choreographer one has to know the language of the body, and today the former skaters who are choreographers don't know it well.
    i think this may be the key to make figure skating and dance better, more like an art as it used to be. one of the present programs that come into my mind is Ashley's LP as it is certainly constructed on the language of the body.

if anyone is interested in the old times, here's an article about Usova/Zhulin's free dance at the 1994 olys
    findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1083/is_n3_v69/ai_16771634/pg_2/

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  18. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

U&Z were a terrific team. Today I still remember their "Four Seasons" FD in the 92 OG. Such beauty! In 93 they had that sexy interpretation of "Blues for Klook".
    U&Z weren't just skaters but also true artists.

19. martyross

martyross Active Member

watching them makes music sink deeper inside in a totally new understanding of the melodies through the moves of their bodies.

20. DORISPULASKI

First time I saw U&Z it was Europeans 1988 or so and they were skating to Indian Temple dance. Just wonderfulness!!

21. Yukari Lepisto

Yukari Lepisto Active Member

YESSS, and I agree with all the other U/Z posts.. dancing nowadays.. can't even compare...

22. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

The first time I saw U&Z skate was at a Sun Valley outdoor show in the summer of 1988, after the 88 Olympics. The announcer said this team (Maya and Sasha) is going to become superstars after the next world championships. They were right. Unfortunately they did not become as big stars as they deserved- just one world title, and Olympic silver & bronze did not do them justice.

23. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

24. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

The first time I saw U/Z (and remember seeing them) was the 1992 Olympics. I was 12 at the time, and I still remember perfectly watching that FD in my parents' living room while working on homework. That performance made me love U/Z, it made me love ice dance, and it's what helped make me into a classical music fan. To this day, U/Z are still my all-time favorites out of all 4 disciplines.

My favorite program/performance of theirs (actually, still my favorite skating performance ever) was the 1993 Worlds FD.

25. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

U/Z :swoon:

Their 89 FD to Planets is one of my fave FD's EVER. :cheer2:

26. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

I must say that U/Z are the only team ever whose exhibitions I liked more than the competitive programs.
    Maybe Gordeeva/Grinkov too. And perhaps Boitano :)
    But that's it.

27. DORISPULASKI

28. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

This has become a U&Z uber thread.:lol: but I don't mind it.

29. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

YES this is the first time I saw them on ITV Eurosport wasn't around then :shuffle:
    I think Betty Calloway was commentating and she raved about them.

30. DORISPULASKI

Well, in the day, I was a U&Z uber...I still am, for that matter :)

They had the best CD's ever, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.