From Russia With Love - 2011/12 Season 2

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Eislauffan, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Lets continue our discussion about the Russiam skaters in this new thread. :)

2. Yukari Lepisto

Yukari Lepisto Active Member

3. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

4. Yukari Lepisto

Yukari Lepisto Active Member

5. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I google translated them.

The Russian one http://sport.rambler.ru/news/figureskating/592004711.html says that Plushenko is not eligible to compete due to not having the minimum score, but that Gorshkov plans to ask for an exception.

The German one http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/30122011/73/pluschenko-darf-em-starten.html says that Plushenko was granted the exception despite lacking the minimum score. So the articles don't contradict. This one has a quote from Mishin saying Plush and the ISU need each other.

Here's an English one http://rt.com/sport/pluschenko-figure-skating-isu-sheffield-european-017/ also saying that Plush got the exemption, with a quote from Gorshkov explaining why Plush deserved it.

But absent from all these articles is a quote from an ISU rep or an official ISU communication. It could very well be that someone mistook Gorshkov or Mishin's comments as saying that the ISU granted the request, and that the other news organizations are running with that. I would rather wait for confirmation from the ISU.

6. Eislauffan

The Russian Federation said that they have contacted the ISU and asked for permission on Wednesday. I highly doubt that the ISU has already given an official answer to the Russian Federation as we are in the holiday season. I assume that the ISU council will have to discuss this matter and they probably have a telephone conference or something like this. Therefore I think that the decision will be made only next week after New Year.

7. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

The comment of Cinquanta that he should was taken as an ISU ruling to me in some articles which is not the same.

8. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Cinquanta said yes but he also said that the ISU committee will have to vote on it.

9. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I can't imagine them voting against. Piseev would get mad and have one of his minions type really hard at them.

10. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

11. MissIzzy

MissIzzy Active Member

:COP: And that article's from the 30th too and doesn't have an exact quote for what Gorshkov said...ARGH! Is he actually officially cleared here or not? What am I supposed to put on the weekly newsvid here? If these entitled athletic peoples are going to be insisting on being above the rules, the least they can do is not confuse us as to their exact status! :mad::scream::yikes::angryfire :wuzrobbed :drama: :wall::wall::wall:

12. Eislauffan

I contacted the ISU but their office was closed today. Hopefully there will be an answer tomorrow!

13. senorita

senorita New Member

^ thank you:)

14. Eislauffan

The ISU office confirmed today to me that the ISU council has discussed the case and decided to grand Evgeni Plushenko an exception so that he can compete at Euros.

15. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Thank you Eislauf fan! That's a great news!

16. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Tremendous news. Thanks Eislauffan.

I didn't think all those reports could have been wrong or there would have been a lot of egg on a lot of journalists faces.

17. oubik

oubik Well-Known Member

It was just published on ISU site as expected:

Evgeny Plushenko to compete at ISU European Figure Skating Championships 2012
    03 January 2012
    The ISU received a specific request from the Figure Skating Federation of Russia pointing out that the skater Evgeny Plushenko was unable, for different reasons, to obtain the required minimum score in an International Competition during the ongoing and past season. Based on this request and also noting that Evgeny Plushenko has recently returned to competitive skating by winning the Russian National Championships at the end of December 2011, the ISU Council exceptionally agreed to accept the entry of Evgeny Plushenko into the ISU European Figure Skating Championships 2012 in Sheffield/Great Britain. This exceptional decision is valid for the ISU European Figure Skating Championships 2012 only.

18. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

It means he won't be allowed to compete at worlds- am I correct?

It will be interesting to see how he stacks up against the young European skaters like Fermandez.

19. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

Well, with some luck he'll be able to get the required minimum during the Europeans. Although, I'd be endlessly amused, and would see the greater justice if he didn't.

ISU :rolleyes:
    What a bunch of clowns.

20. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Thank you! Great news!

21. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I bet he could do it with only one skate on.

The minimum rule is a joke for skaters of his his caliber; I hope it's changed by the time skaters like Kim, Rochette and Pang and Tong want to come back.

:D

Good job ISU, now amend your stupid rule.

22. Proustable

Proustable New Member

No, just that the exception is only valid for Euros. Should he not make the minimum (which, obviously, he will), he won't be eligible for Worlds.

I do hope they amend the rule in the future as opposed to grant exemptions, however.

23. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Knowing that he was coming back for Nationals and would (presumably) be top 2 there, why didn't the Russian Fed. assign Plushenko to a Sr. B event this fall/winter so he could obtain the minimum score requirements there?

I agree that a skater of his caliber should be allowed to compete at Euros & Worlds, but why not at least try to play by the ISU rules?

24. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

It is my understanding that Plushenko was pretty seriously injured throughout the fall and came to compete at the Nationals with minimal training.

25. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I imagine this will improve attendance for the men's qualifying rounds in Sheffield. :lol:

26. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Which probably factored into the decision. I'm quite certain the European Championship organizers would have been much more distressed by his not being there than wanting to adhere to lofty principles. :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised for Plushenko to skip worlds this year (much as I'd like to see him beat Chan), but he'll have the scores from Europeans to make him eligible next year when he will want to compete prior to the Olympic season. This will allow him to compete at crucial events and save his knees for those.

Breznia and Fernandez are his major competitors at Europeans unless Joubert comes out blazing and well rested. Which speaks volumes about the state of men's skating in Europe.

27. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Didn't he undergo two surgeries (one of them major) this season and was rehabbing most of the time? He did not even start skating/training until very recently, from what I read. It was amazing that he was able to land the quad and 3A.

28. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

don't I wish...

29. Nan

Nan Just me

You think part of Mishin's "plan" is for Plushenko NOT to face Chan this year?

30. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

:lol: I don't think it has anything to do with Chan. If I were his coach and the Russian Fed, I wouldn't worry about 2012 Worlds championship. They are focused on Sochi. I'd save his knees for when it really matters. A World's championship doesn't. I think he's planning on another arthroscopy after Europeans in any event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.