From Russia with love [#14]: Summer to Autumn 2014

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jul 31, 2014.

1. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Nikita Katsalapov interview for Doppio Axel by Emily Korsakova: "Una luce negli occhi"

http://mimishka007.livejournal.com/183494.html

Q: Your impressions after the team gold and individual bronze at the OG?
    A: Those were the happiest days of my life. I still have the flashbacks sometimes before I go to sleep, it was great and I definitely want to repeat that experience, preferably many times [smiles]. And I want better results next time.

Q: Did you manage to keep this positive attitude until the World championships?
    A: Definitely. We were 100% ready when we arrived: everything went smoothly after the Olympics, but mistakes happen, no one is guaranteed they don't.

Q: After such a successful season with Elena Ilinykh, you still decided to split.
    A: I am happy with my choice, it was a very well-thought-out decision.

Q: So you offered Victoria Sinitsina to skate together?
    A: Yes, it was my offer.

Q: Is your current coach your final choice?
    A: Yes, I want very much to work with Marina, she is a genius. She took it upon herself to look after us as a mom, she goes into each minute detail, every little thing. We have no problems with the coahing team, I can breath freely and concentrate on the training. People around us started even worrying that Vika and I need to take breaks from practices for at least 15 min to be able to go on. All our team is working towards the result.

Q: Marina said you called her, and when she offered to come to Detroit, you did and you paid all expenses yourself?
    A: I had huge motivation, I really wanted to come, and I am very grateful to Vika for agreeing to come and for trusting me, I hope she won't be sorry [Victoria hears that and smiles].

Q: Your new exhibition number is to the music from the film The Pianist, is very lyrical, very Marina Zoueva-style. Is this going to be your style or are you still looking for new identity as a team?
    A: I believe that there is such thing as a «style of a team», it's a first thing that everyone notices. When most people like the style, it endears the team to the audience, and helps to make its way to the top 10 at least. As for our team, we are still in the creating process, still continue discussing things. I think that with time our style will come to us naturally.

Q: What can you tell us about the exhibition number?
    A: We tried to show more lyrical drama, something light and pure, something that shows when we look into each other's eyes. We wanted to show everything we were able to achieve in a month that we've been working together. Our parents came to see us, many other people, we were very happy to skate for them. We have already discussed our strengths, our weaknesses, but we also congratulated ourselves on the debut, it was a huge responsibility.

Q: Are you planning to go on vacation this year?
    A: There is no time at the moment: there is a lot to be done before the season starts. It's summer, everyone goes out, and we work-work-work, but I'm not complaining, I like my work.

Q: Is there plan for the next season?
    A: The main goal is to train, the plan will be made by the coaches. I think we will try skating in senior B competitions, which will be a new experience for me, but we need to show ourselves to judges. Maybe it will be Finlandia Trophy.

Q: Are you happy with your life as an athlete at the moment?
    A: I'm very happy!

altai_rose, SkateSand, alilou and 2 others like this.
  2. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    legjumper and lala like this.
  3. Amantide

Amantide Well-Known Member

I heard that it's Appassionata from the Secret Garden, right?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijKuoVoEB84

Do they say if the Toreador is with vocals or instrumental?

Edit: Ok, I saw the program info thread. It is Secret Garden. I like the music very much. I think it's a very good choice for them.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  4. Amantide

shine and Cherub721 like this.
  5. elif

elif Well-Known Member

Amantide likes this.
  6. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

dinakt likes this.
  7. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Oh No! I was looking forward to his development. Sounds like he will miss the entire season.

8. Vash01

Amantide likes this.
  9. alchemy void

alchemy void #Perkova4SkateAmerica

Any news on Leonova's programs? She's my main hope for :inavoid: in ladies.

10. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Yes, at first it was said in the article that they were skating to Beethoven, then it just said "Appassionata", and then later it was confirmed that they were indeed skating to the original "lyrical snot" ©

11. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I don't want to be pessimist but I don't think she has much chance. Sotnikova, Radionova, Pogorilaya and Lipnitskaya will manage to grab any available spots for Europeans and worlds. so the only chance you may have to see Leonova is during her GP events, and if you access Russian TV, then at Russian nationals.

12. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

or you just make a trip to oberstdorf in late september:p
    very excited to see her there.

i just would love to see her annoying the youngster :D

babayaga and kwanfan1818 like this.
  13. Karpenko

Karpenko Not Impressed.

She could also potentially be one of the 37 Russian ladies that comprise the field at the GPF.

kwanfan1818 likes this.
  14. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I am willing to bet that she is not gonna get to GPF this season. At least not as a competitor!

15. Karpenko

Karpenko Not Impressed.

I'm willing to bet she will perk things up a bit. :D

16. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

It's like that time that we heard I&K were skating to something called "the ghost" and there was speculation it was some underused movie soundtrack or special composition but then it turned out to be "Ghost: The Musical." :p

alchemy void said Leonova was the best hope for :inavoid: in ladies which means "voidy" (as in unusual, interesting)... and I would say she still reigns as the voidiest Russian lady, although the others might be catching up (Radionova's zombie dance!), so she is indeed the best hope for voids, and the voidiest skaters often don't make the World team or qualify to the LP so you have to search them out from other events, which only adds to the voids. ;)

lala, alilou and falling_dance like this.
  17. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Given Leonova's recent move to St. Petersburg am less optimistic about her GP events... seems the St. P. school is somehow dismissed when it comes to the ocmpetitions and funding...
    Am slightly more optimistic about her programmes given Glinka had a say. Then nothing can be possibly worse than Morozov-crap....

18. alchemy void

alchemy void #Perkova4SkateAmerica

Yes! I think there is a place for more mature competitors like Leonova, Wagner, Marchei, etc. I'm glad they are all continuing. It's good for the sport to have mature women competing.

I'm hoping Leonova realizes how important the GP series is for her...she needs to be at her season peak for Skate America to build momentum.

Rpg likes this.
  19. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

The "faster" slow-waltz version is a little more dynamic......
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO0jLFEm0IE

For me their choice is interesting. I always felt that "Appasionata"/Secret Garden (White Stones) in certain parts reminds me of Schindler's List...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHru34C23FA

20. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I'm glad that there are mature skaters competing too, but I think it's pretty obvious that this new quad of skating is going to lean heavily towards the technical aspects of the sport. As of right now skaters like Ashley, Valentina and Alena are on the shorter end of that stick. I think it's still possible for them to win a few medals but, overall, I don't see any major titles being won by one of the more mature skaters at this point...unless they can match the technical content of the younger girls. The sport is just headed in a different direction.

IMO Alena took too long to leave Morosov. She really struggled these last two years and completely slipped out of the standings. After winning that silver medal at worlds she was set to be one of the front runners going into Sochi...but she took a nosedive the following season and slipped completely off the radar. If there is one country you can't afford to have a bad season in, it's Russia. All of the skaters Alena had an advantage over have now surpassed her and I think it's going to be really difficult (if not impossible) for her to regain her positioning in Russia given the depth of talent the field now has.

hanca and Vash01 like this.
  21. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I know what voidy means here on the forum. I just don't think she has been that voidy the last season or two. She definitely used to be, but especially the last season she was a bit deflated. No spark left, so I wouldn't say that "she still reigns as the voidiest Russian lady". I would give it to Radionova based on this last season.

22. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Amantide and clairecloutier like this.
  23. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the vid!

24. Vash01

Thanks for posting. This is the first time I have seen this pair. She has lovely long lines. If she doesn't grow any taller, they could have a future. They botched one lift but otherwise it was an OK performance. They are clearly new to each other and it's going to take some time to develop into a real pair. She has a nice spring in the throw. She is slightly tall for a pairs skater but they could develop into a very elegant pair with lines and postures.

25. rfisher

rfisher At least I still have Pairs to look forward to

I cannot wait to watch Russian pairs this season. Or for the next four years for that matter.

26. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

hanca likes this.
  27. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I also like their lines and extensions, but the elements don't seem to be ready yet. They are newly created team, so they just need a bit of time to get there.

28. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

What happened with Oksana Nagalatiy? I remember that she had some doping problems last year at JGP, and the partnership with Bobrov broke down. She was banned for a year, but that should be over soon. Is she skating with anyone, or did she leave the sport?

29. Amantide

oleada and rfisher like this.
  30. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Yes, lovely, long lines. Davankova is a lovely pair skater and looks more mature on the ice now. I've been watching her for long enough that sometimes I forget she's still just 16 and her body is growing. She doesn't appear to have a huge height difference with Enbert, who is tall (listed at 6'2"). The height difference doesn't look to be more than 8 or 9 inches at the most, but hopefully their elements will still develop to a competitive level. Long, elegant lines on pair teams is absolutely beautiful, but you just have to hope that there will be enough of a size difference for the technical challenges of pairs. This team is new, and we don't know yet what their competitive elements will look like. But I enjoyed watching them in this video, thanks to the person who posted it.

hanca likes this.