From Russia with love [#14]: Summer to Autumn 2014

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

The FD sounds really promising. It is almost certainly inspired by the miniature ballet by Leonid Jacobsen of the '60s, Rodin's Kiss, still popular in St. Petersburg.

2. alchemy void

alchemy void Well-Known Member

Sakhanovich looks much improved! Last year, I thought her programs weren't very good (that LP music :eek: ) and she looked overall too sloppy and frenetic. These two programs are a huge step forward for her, I enjoyed both quite a bit. The jumps look great too, the tano doesn't bother me at all. The axel is now just poor (it was hideous last year), but she is getting some really good flow out of her jumps, and they look a little bit bigger. Excited to see her develop this year.

Dmitri Aliev's program is a trip. :inavoid: Including a very effective use of vocals at the end. Everyone needs to watch. :D

3. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I have to admit as soon as I turned it on and saw the zombie moves, I turned it right back off. It's getting overdone.

4. Amantide

Amantide Active Member

I knew Eteri asked for Yulia's mom to be in the team and help. But the comment of Vaitsekhovskaya about "controlling" I thought it was about more than just helping/assisting.
    I'm not sure what "controls the actions of the coach" means, according to Vatsekhovskaya. That Yulia's mom somehow is maybe taking too much controll overall and leaving Eteri on the sideline?

I didn't know about this at all.
    Anyway, not a big deal. Just some of my thoughts.

5. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Reading you other posts I have to say that I am not surprised... (and I am not talking about your negativity with American skaters)

6. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Do we have a scale for jumps then? Like at school marks 1-5, or A-G. here we have hideous, poor,..... What are the higher levels? So that we can keep track of skater's improvements!

7. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Not surprised but still pleased!

8. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Am not sure whether it should be in the Russian news or else, but Shelepen retired. She returns to Russia and will start coaching there

An interview with Mozer in sport.express, am translating now

kwanfan1818, 3T3T and HisWeirness like this.
  9. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I know what is your opinion about imported skaters, but I really, really wanted her to work it out. :wuzrobbed Although seeing the link from the summer competition, I am not surprised that she retired. She would have a lot of work to do. What happened? Is she still injured, or did the injury come with growth/maturing/change of figure and she never regained her jumps? Just a few years ago... Shelepen, Korobeynikova....

Robin26 likes this.
  10. 3T3T

3T3T Member

That's disappointing news for Shelepen. I would really have liked for her move to Israel to workout, she would have been very unlikely to get on the the Russian senior squad for euros/worlds/olympics. To think a few years back she was one of the leading juniors, her performance in Quebec a few weeks back showed was a long way of that.

I wonder is it a bit premature? She has been injured and clearly has grown a lot, maybe she needs time to adjust? I hope her coaching career goes well for her.

Robin26 likes this.
  11. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Wow that's a promising career that went downhill very fast. So sad for Shelepen and I too wonder what really happened.

So that's another russiand wonderbabywho bites the dust. Thankfully there are still legions of them kicking as..

12. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Shelepen has been trying to get her triples back for over a year now. Must have been so frustrating for someone who used to do 3-3s in her sleep.

hanca likes this.
  13. Amantide

Amantide Active Member

That's harsh.

@All: Footage of I&Z and Antonio rehearsing for the SD: http://websta.me/p/799228479058483586_1103267565
    :cheer2:

p.s. Question: is the ventaglio (what's the name in english of the object they have in their hands?) allowed?

14. morqet

morqet Active Member

Amantide likes this.
  15. Amantide

Amantide Active Member

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  16. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Any videos of Bobrova/Soloviev?

17. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

thanks TAHbKA for the shelepen-news, for me personally these are really sad news; i was a fan of her as a junior skater and really wanted her to have a decent seniors career.
    wish her the best as a coach.

18. Amantide

Amantide Active Member

Unfortunately I haven't seen one. I'm very curious about their new programs.
    Many in Russia are saying that they're very good this year.

19. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I am disappointed by Shelepen's retirement. Her injury must be more serious than I thought

20. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

21. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Has anybody heard anything about Anastasia Martiusheva and her new partner? Are they still skating together?
    I'm asking because I have seen plenty of photos of her skating in shows with Konstantin Gavrin who retired ages ago and is a successful show skater now.

22. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

23. Amantide

Amantide Active Member

24. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Zoueva says that the number of the teams she coaches is the same, but more people came for choreography of their programs. Cappellini/Lanotte have spent three weeks and she was impressed — they have chemistry, they have style, it was intersting to try and find new ideas for them. They came with the music chosen by Paola Mezzadri, and she worked with them in collaboration with Massimo Scali and Oleg Epstein. She doesn't want to announce their choice because it wasn't her idea, and she doesn't want to announce Sinitsina/Katsalapov's music either, although the theme is already chosen. She always lets her skaters decide when they are ready to reveal their programs.

S/Kats are a "new team", she wants them to become a truly beautiful ice dancing duo, but it takes time. The work goes very well, but it's too early to say how much time it will take - "Victoria is only nineteen, she will have to learn a lot, as do I, and all of us".

It is a "strikingly beautiful couple", but in addition, they have amazing willpower, which helps a lot, and amazing speed. Now they are learning to perform all elements on speed and correctly, which is difficult but very impressive. Plus they need to find their own, unique way of dialogue between man and woman.

She would like to let them test the programs before the Grand Prix, but even more she would like them to feel comfortably at their first event. Every moment spent on ice should bring happiness, it happens now in practice, but it also should happen in competition, and for that they have to be completely ready. They learn to interact with each other, this process cannot be artificially sped up.

There weren't anything unexpected problems — "they aren't my first students, after all".

When Nikita called and asked if they could come, she took a day to think it over, and then said yes - «I always decide very quickly». She liked what he said about what he wants, liked his attitude to the beggining of work. There was already certain period in his career that ended with Olympic bronze, and it adds responsibility for her — to make sure that the rest of his way will lead up.

She also likes that Nikita says that part of his motivation is to make the audience happy, it resonates with her own approach. There are many difficulties in real life, and if her athletes' skating allows some people to escape their problems for at least four and a half minutes that their programs lasts, she considers her main goal achieved.

She did actually ask Nikita what happened between him and Elena - "they were an unorthodox pair with great results", and he listed some "very professional arguments", and it was enough for her.

Many people had doubts, saying that it will be hard - "of course it will, but then, what isn't?"

About the Shibutanis — the programs are ready, they have grown up a lot, they offer many ideas, analyze a lot, have very scientific approach to their skating, and it helps.

About Cappelini/Lanotte — they are a great example of work attitude, stamina. "You know, it is very difficult — to train with young couples. To train with Nikita and Victoria with their youghful energy, enthusiasm, ardor, beauty. But C/L showed everyone the perfect professionalism, work ethics". She was surpised by the attention they paid to her every word. "I have rather specific coaching style. But Anna and Luca understood every word I said". Now she can tell that their European and World titles were not a fluke – "they had many coaches, and took the best from each of them".

D/W and V/M are "like children" to her and she misses them greatly. Now that Tessa and Scott had moved to Canada, they stopped visiting, but Meryl and Charlie come regularly and train for the shows. Says that Tessa and Scott need time, because what they did in sport was an act of bravery, especially Tessa. Mentions that Tessa had four surgeries.

As for not having free time for more skaters - "there is always time. People say they don't have time to go to the gym, but it only means that they use their time otherwise. If they wanted to go to gym, they would divide their time accordingly. Therefore I always have time for all my skaters. We have ice time from six a.m. till six p.m. If they want to train, there is always time".

Says that she predicted Meryl's win at DWTS, but was happy that she got to show her talent to broader audience. "Besides, do you really think she won the Olympics without charm and sex appeal?" With Charlie they had more brother/sister dynamics - "but a new partner always means new relationship. Like Katsalapov now: new partner - new style. And everyone wants to see them. Besides, D/W had always worked in contrast with V/M, who had an exceptional chemistry, just like Nikita and Victoria now. Honestly, it's amazing and mesmerizing".
    She thinks that D/W and V/M's time in ice dancing is over, everyone already knows it. They made an enormous contribution to the development of this discipline - "for example, men started watching it. I was told many times that now husbands call their wives to watch TV when ice dancing is on. I consider it my greatest achievement [laughs]." Of course, D/W and V/M can come back, but they cannot simply continue, they need to bring something new to the table, to push their boundaries, physically and psychologically, otherwise it won't work.

25. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Thanks so much quiqie.

26. Amantide

Amantide Active Member

Thank you so much quiqie.

You and Tahbka should tell me were to send you some wine, or cheese, or anything else you wish from italy. :)

What a little hypocrity she is.:rofl:

Coco, Meoima, hanca and 1 other person like this.
  27. znhurston

znhurston Member

I had the same question. Thanks for asking it.

28. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Interview with Serafima Sakhanovich: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzTiR7tZ1jA

She says that she was «shocked» by her results (at the JGP Ljubljana), didn't expect such high scores, she hopes to skate even better in the future, she liked very much the city, the ice rink, the people; everything.

The move to Moscow was her idea, and her parents supported her. They have found great accomodation in Moscow, just two minutes from the ice rink. She misses SPb very much, her mother moved with her to Moscow, but the rest of the family and her dogs stayed in SPb and she misses them terribly.

Says that the difference between the training regimen between her former and current groups is that before, they used to spend more time in gym, doing powerlifting, etc; and here, it is used mainly as a warm-up before skating.

Compared to the last year, she feels that her skating has improved, she was able to correct the jump takeoff ("e'' on the Lutz) and exits (used to bend her knee too much). The music in the short was suggested by her parents, she portrays a girl who doesn't want to part with her childhood, but in the end she lets it go (the childhood is symbolyzed by a little bird).

About preparing to skate: she doesn't think of anything specific, just listens to music and thinks about her programs, running them through in her head. Was never afraid to skate.

Her least favorite jump is double Axel, all others are okay.

She loves figure skating because it is her reason to get out of the house, to go to the ice rink and to train hard, to become better, and then to go to competitions and get to the podium, preferably on top of it. Standing on the highest step of the podium, hearing Russian anthem being played in her honor is something worth skating for, and it even makes her tear up a bit.

She has no idols among female skaters nowadays or in the past. She started skating very late (at age 7) and remembers vividly the first time she went on ice — she saw Evgeni Plushenko skating, and decided she could do as well, that quads are nothing, and then she got on the ice, and it turned out to be slippery, so she spent her first practices hanging off her coach, and then was very proud when she could do bunny hops for the first time.

She is very good friends with Evgenia Medvedeva, but they are rarely up to any mischief during practices, saving it for off-ice time. In her free time she likes to read and listen to the music, her favorite kind of music is rock («girls usually don't like such stuff») - AC/DC, Metallica, Scorpions, Skillet. She'd like to skate to something like that in the future, «but I think this is the music for boys».

Her goals for the season: to get to the GPF («which will be held in Barcelona, which I think it is perfect»), to skate at all the competitions of the season, to get to the Junior Worlds and place in the top three there.

text_skate, shah, rfisher and 7 others like this.
  29. Meoima

Meoima Active Member

Serafima can skate to whatever kind of music she likes, nothing is just for boy or for girl. I hope someone will tell her that.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    shah, Evilynn, Amantide and 3 others like this.
  30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

:lol: