Freshly Ground Black People

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by iceberg08, Apr 18, 2010.

1. iceberg08

iceberg08 Active Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8627335.stm

O rly???

2. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Right. This was just a typo.

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

How can one go from pepper to people is interesting...Even if this was a typo--doubt it but lets say it was--the subconscious implication is disturbing.

4. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't assume there is any wrongful mindset involved. When people type, they often develop tendencies to type certain words when they begin with certain letters. I almost never type "statue" correctly, because my fingers are so accustomed to typing "statute." Another time, I had a case where we used the word "face" a lot. When I finished that case, for the next few months, I had to search my writings for the word "face" because I repeatedly wrote that instead of "fact."

If the typist of the cookbook has typed "people"enough, typing "p" and "e" might trigger the physical response to type "people" regardless of context. I think it's silly to think there is anything nefarious about this.

5. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I can understand the logic of why that it would happen, though I haven't had the same experience - though maybe I haven't been in that same type of repetitive word situation.

But you are talking about one letter, not a completely different word.

Also, you know that you make these mistakes and go back and correct them. Which would be rather important for a lawyer or a lawyer's proofreader.

First of all, the typist or proofreader didn't catch it.

Second, it just seems very odd because "black pepper" appears a ton of times in cook-books, certainly much more often than the word "people" or "black people". Quite different from the situation you describe.

And the recipe would have been given to the typist. It's very possible that the error was in the original recipe and the typist copied it - typists don't think about every word they write. And then the proofreader could have missed it.

It certainly could have been intentional. Maybe it wasn't, but there are people who do stuff like that.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  6. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I read about this the other day. Little mistake with big cost.

7. softlip

softlip Active Member

Maybe auto-complete? Or selecting accidentally the wrong option while spell checking?

8. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Mistakes happen. It's crazy how people (or is that "pepper"?) are so willing to assign malicious intent so readily. :rolleyes:

9. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

ITA. I had my mother read my university thesis and go through it with a fine tooth comb to make sure there were no typos or mistakes. I was extremely tired when I finished it, and she found similar mistakes to this.

It's not that hard to see how it could have happened. Someone makes a typing error and typles peppel instead of pepper, or something similar, and the auto-correct changes it to people.

I think they're making a mountain out of a molehill...:shuffle:

10. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Misteaks happen. ;)
    But, I agree with Jen, blame auto-spell. I doubt there was any evil intentions.

*Jen* and (deleted member) like this.
  11. duane

duane New Member

It isn't??? I find it difficult to find a plausible reason how it could have happened...especially since one word has a repeating letter while the other doesn't. I seriously doubt that auto-correct would change "peppel" to "people". Perhaps it would change "pepple" to "people". But I can't see someone mis-typing "pepple" for "pepper". Typos happen, but typing "le" for "er"?

I don't know what to think here. On the one hand, I think it had to have been a typo or silly mistake; OTOH, perhaps a deliberate publicity stunt? How many people will now go out and buy the misprinted books because of this publicity?

12. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Have you never written anything when you're tired? Have you never worked 18 hours straight in one day to finish a project, and then read back over it the next day to see it littered with mistakes such as this?

I'm guessing not, because if you had, you would have no difficulty understanding how it happened. So it wasn't a typo - it was a mistake. As evidenced in my post above, people write the wrong word every time. I see it multiple times per day on this very forum and my mother found dozens of examples in my LLM thesis which had to be corrected before it was handed in.

People make mistakes. It's what makes us human. Inferring malicious intent because you're too perfect to have made such a mistake and thus can't understand how it would happen? It's ridiculous.

Ask any academic, any lawyer, journalist or anyone else who has to write and then edit a lot of stuff. You can find some pretty ludicrious things that you don't recall writing, but if you're tired, it happens. If you're thinking about a different word or having a conversation, you often start to write it.

I don't find it difficult to find a plausible reason at all.

;)
    Clearly. And I just demonstrated how. If you're thinking of one thing and typing another, the result can be amusing. Hungry, Reuven? :p

Reuven and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

I agree. I can only :rolleyes: at the conspiracy theorists who think otherwise. I'm too lazy to do it, but I suspect we could do a search of people's posts here on FSU and find similar occurrences of mistyped words.

14. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

When I'm doing a lot of writing, I type the wrong word all the time. Plus, when I type I look at the keyboard, not the screen - I usually can tell when I've made a typo and fix it mid-stream, but if what I've typed is a real word, I usually don't find it until I proofread. I can't remember specific examples, but I just did a writing/editing job at work and some of the words that ended up in the document pre-proofing had nothing to do with the subject at all. I can totally see how this happened.

OTOH, it is a pretty big failure of proofreading to not catch this before publication. Mistakes get to publication all the time (a friend used to talk about the book she read as a kid about the "two-headed boy" and how confused she was that a bigger deal wasn't made of it in the book), but this is more than just switching 2 letters and as was mentioned, the word "people" in the middle of a recipe should have caught the eye of a proofer. But ultimately I have a hard time believing this is anything but a mistake.

15. Really

Proofreaders obviously don't catch everything. If I had a dollar for every typo we've found in textbooks in our schools, I wouldn't have to teach anymore!

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I want one of the books with the typo in it :D!!!

17. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

For anyone who says this couldn't have been a mistake, it must be nice to be so perfect all the time. I know that just on this message board I have made some crazy mistakes while typing. I have typed completely wrong words because I had the television going or someone talking near me. It happens to me all the time. I wish I could remember but just the other day I read one of my posts with a word that was stuck in the middle of a sentence and made NO SENSE. I couldn't even figure out what word it was supposed to be. Lucky for me no one has decided I did it on purpose, guess I am just really dumb and not as perfect as some of you.

18. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

For the sake of argument, I turned auto-correct on and typed "peppel." Neither pepper nor people was what it corrected, but people came before pepper. The first word was pepped.

If it was pepple, the first word it corrected to was people.

I don't see why it's so difficult for you to believe someone would make a typing mistake like that, unless you just don't type that often. I've made all sorts of bizarre typing mistakes and have typed the wrong letter using the wrong wrong hand. Often, my mistakes are when I'm thinking about something else, like, typing "skating" instead of "skills" during Worlds.
    You wouldn't believe some of the typos I've gotten for English and History papers. They have been truly :duh: :rofl: :wall:

19. mkats

mkats New Member

Seriously! We all make mistakes. The idea of it being a publicity stunt :rolleyes:

Hell, the other day I was so stressed out from a long day of work that I met someone and accidentally introduced myself as "Sarah". My name starts with S, but it's nowhere near Sarah. :lol:

20. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

Ahhhhh. It is so much fun to look for evil in others. :rolleyes: It reminds me of the scene in Bowfinger where Eddie Murphy is ranting and raving because he counted all of the letters in a script and they somehow came out to spell KKK in his system. I couldn't find that scene on youtube, so I'll insert another that makes no sense to this post, but that I love anyway. :confused: :wall: :shuffle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKoiOchGe3g&feature=related

Find evil intent as you wish. :p :lol:

21. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Yes. 2 weeks ago, I wrote a report for a Judge while in a hurry.
    Possession of a Controlled Substance became "Passion of a Controlled Substance"
    :rofl:
    Good thing it was checked by a colleague.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  22. duane

duane New Member

I write all the time, thank you, and as one who does type often, I do know that typos happen all the time, and that "pepprt" or "peppwe" would be the likely typo for "pepper"...not "pepple".

23. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I didn't realize there was a rulebook on what kinds of typos are possible.

24. duane

duane New Member

Yes, you can buy it on Amazon. However, I wrote "the "likely typo". The word likely is rarely used in rulebooks.

25. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

You're still operating on the assumption that it was a typo, and not a mistake. Not everyone can type well. Not everyone makes typical typos. And it would seem that everyone (except you) makes mistakes...

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Now that's a reasonable explanation. Pepper becomes pepple becomes people. :yikes:

27. duane

duane New Member

My, such sarcasm! And anyway, your opinion is based on assumptions as well.

And, "conspiracy theorists"?? "Evil in others"? LOL! Jesus, chill out people! We're talking about a cook book...not JFK's assassination!

28. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Indeed. But you're the one inferring intent based on an atypical typo :rolleyes:

29. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I was at Skate America one year and doing PBP via my Blackberry. Instead of writing that one skater should be "penalized" for wearing the shirt he was wearing, I instead wrote that he should be "penised", and that's what you'll see if you look up that old post. Don't ask me, but it happened. I didn't even know about it until I got back from the event. So, stuff happens. I'm not saying that it mightened have been done deliberately in the case of this cookbook, but I could totally believe that it was just an innocent mistake.

In addition, while it used to be the case that published books were edited by highly skilled and trained copy editors, in many cases that's no longer true. That's why we tend to see a lot more weird typos/grammar errors and etc. in books today - especially in "mass market" books.

A friend of mine, who writes a lot of media tie-in novels, tells me that the only copy editing his publishers do now-days is handing the manuscript off to an intern and asking them to read it.

30. Really

^^^And we talked for years after about skaters (and others) getting penised...;)