French study: ditch your bras, ladies!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by IceAlisa, Apr 12, 2013.

1. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/braless-best-study-says-bras-breasts-saggier-161300096.html

Thoughts?

2. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

So...ditch the bras, pick up the bench press then?

3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I always thought bras with underwires were just not natural or normal. One of the reasons I stopped wearing them many years ago. I found a good brand of cotton lycra camisole that is scupltured and shaped.

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

What about running without a sports bra? Has to be uncomfortable.

5. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

It is.

6. znachki

znachki Active Member

I remember an interview with Halle Berry where she said that she always wore a bra to bed. All I could think was - how uncomfortable.

So, does anyone else call it a day when the bra comes off? It takes a major even for me to put it back on once it's off. I really have to stop and think, do I want to put it back on?

7. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i sleep in it most of the time. im much more comfortable with it on than off.

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

There are wireless bras that are very comfortable that I could see myself wearing to bed/lounging. However, I don't see a reason to wear a bra to bed so I don't.

9. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I totally think it depends on your anatomy. I'm smallish, but I do push-ups (100) everyday, and my little boobs seem to do ok with or without a bra.

O-

10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

:respec:, OliviaPug! A 100 push-ups a day!!!

11. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

What about for men? :p

:slinkaway

12. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Sleeping in a bra (esp. an underwire) is really annoying. But, during the day when I'm doing things, I need to be wearing one. Doing anything borderline physical without one is seriously uncomfortable.

13. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I've actually stopped doing bench presses (my upper back doesn't need to be pulled forward any more!) and I'm a small B and it's much more comfortable without a bra. My F-cup friend can do as many bench presses or pushups as she wants, but her girls will just continue to sag and hurt if she goes without a bra...:slinkaway:

14. OliviaPug

Thanks, IceAlisa :) I had a bizarre Dad growing up who, instead of doing the usual Father-Daughter things, insisted we do push-ups together ... :scream:

I'm grateful for it now!

Anita18: When I did bench presses years ago, I found it flattened my chest. Not exactly the look I was going for! :lol: It does really tighten things up, but it's not a great look for most women, IMHO. Looks great on guys though!

O-

15. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I'm a small (very small, I might add) B and I have to wear a good fitting sports bra while doing cardio. If not then boobs bouncing everywhere and it feels very uncomfortable. I would think if my tiny boobs require that then any female the same size or larger would need to wear one too!

16. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

My doc told me that wearing a bra all the time increases your risk of breast cancer because it restricts breast fluids from circulating / draining freely. I used to sleep in a bra but when she told me that I stopped. And actually I was getting a little carpal tunnel - and that was alleviated when I stopped sleeping in the bra - the straps were apparently irritating the particular carpel tunnel nerve.

17. OliviaPug

Very interesting, and makes a lot of sense too.

O-

18. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

I am extremely uncomfortable without a bra when moving about. I prefer underwire, but not in sports bras (or nursing bras). They have to fit well though.

I have some sleep bras which are very soft and loose, I use them while pregnant (bumping your boobs on your belly can get uncomfortable) and nursing (so I can wear nursing pads).

Normally I see no reason to wear bras while horizontal ;).

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I can't find a study that supports this notion. What kind of doctor was this?

Check out the mechanics of CTS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_syndrome

I am having a hard time understanding what a bra strap would have to do with CTS.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  20. snoopy

My GP told me. And I am not sure how to explain the strap sleep thing - when I would sleep, the base of the bra would get pulled down from moving around - and cause the strap to dig into my shoulders, so sometimes I would wake up in the morning with a numb hand. When I stopped sleeping in the bra, that went away. (The median nerve in the wrist is ultimately connected through your shoulders.)

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

The notion about bra and breast cancer risk is not supported by evidence. I did a search despite years of working in cancer research, thinking may be a new link was found since I quit but no, nothing.

22. snoopy

This isn't really related but just out of curiosity, what is your profession?

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I gave you the details privately as this is a public forum. I deal with CTS almost daily in an outpatient medical clinic.

24. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

My bra is "outside clothes" aka I don't wear one at home. The ones I do get are cheap and have poorly placed underwire, so I just cut them out.

I got these awesome little half-bra/bralet things from Walmart that are really comfortable. They're cotton like a sports bra, but don't compress, and have nice thin non-racerback straps that don't look terrible if they show. They were particularly great when I was in the Caribbean and it was hotter than hell, I just wore it under a loose tank top and who cares if it shows.

25. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I buy my bras at Nordstroms. They, and Macys, are pretty much the only places that carry my size besides online. They are not cheap. :lol:

As for what I think? I'd have to look at the original study because I think, from everything I've seen up until now, they've never before shown that a bra either helps OR hurts when it comes to sagging.

26. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Uncomfortable, and I believe can damage the tissue. I have a friend about to run a marathon and until recently she was running in a regular bra. She's very small, but we insisted she get one. She's :eek: at the difference.

I'm really, really lucky to be in the UK, because here it's super easy to buy bras from a 28 back, and all the way up to a very large cup. I think the store I was in yesterday goes up to an L or an M. A friend in the states was fitted into a 36DD by VS, and then a 28G in the UK. She can't believe the difference it's made in her life. Same cup size, but finally getting support in the back band, meaning the straps don't dig in.

There's no way in hell I'll ever go without a bra. I'm too big :shuffle: I sleep in a soft crop because I have a deep, irrational fear of a fire alarm going off in the middle of the night and having to stand in the street in my pjs :p

27. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I sleep in a bra, but only a loose, wire-free one...my mom always told me never to sleep in an underwire so I don't, lol. I just don't feel comfortable without it.

28. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

Dr Otto Titzling, inventor of the bra, is rolling in his grave. (Trivial Pursuit is never wrong....:p)

29. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Do you sleep in a bra, Dave? :rofl:

I used to sleep naked but a couple of years ago started wearing a sleepshirt. Can't even imagine wearing anything more constricting.

30. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I wouldn't do that, Dave.