Freestyle Skaters who were once Pairs Skaters

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by FSWer, Feb 13, 2012.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Say,I was wondering how may famous Freestyle Skaters we know of that of course started out as just that...then were Pairs Skaters..and NOW are back to Freestyle. I know Kristi Yamaguchi was indeed ONCE a Pairs Skater. BTW. are there any pic. of her doing Pairs? I thought I also read something about Melissa Bulanhagui doing Pairs. Does anyone know if this is true? Who else do we know who does Freestyle now..but was once a Pairs Skater?

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

3. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

Jeremy Abbott was a pair skater in his younger years, as well as an ice dancer. But I believe he always skated singles as well.

4. Sit_spin

Sit_spin New Member

Rachael Flatt used to skate pairs with Andrew Speroff.

5. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Rachael Flatt?!!!...Gee,does anyone know if there's any images on anything other then U-Tube (Google maybe) showing her doing Pairs? BTW. when was this? As Rachael seems really young.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Rachael Flatt won the silver medal in Juvenile Pairs in 2003 and the Intermediate Pairs title in 2004 with Andrew Speroff. She stopped skating pairs when she was 12 years old in the 2004-05 season to focus on singles. I've searched online but haven't found any photos or video of Flatt/Speroff skating pairs.

Melissa Bulanhagui has never competed in pairs, but performed with a friend once in a show for fun.

ETA: FSWer, since you can't watch YouTube videos on your computer, here's one photo I found of Kristi Yamaguchi/Rudi Galindo doing a split twist lift at 1990 US Nationals (they won the 1989 and 1990 National pairs title together): http://figureskating.wikia.com/wiki/File:U96162508.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  7. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Ryan Bradley skated novice pairs with Tiffany Vise for a few years in the late 90's as well. They went to Nationals for two years and then she paired up Larry Ibarra and Bradley focused on his singles career.

8. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Kurt Browning was an ice dancer (that explains his fantastic footwork) before he turned to singles. I heard this from one of the commentators, eons ago.

9. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

Galina Maniachenko/Efremenko medalled at Junior Worlds in pairs but then was injured in a horrid accident and switched to singles.

10. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I got to speak to Keegan Messing in San Jose while waiting for the shuttle bus. He introduced me to his former pairs partner. I had no idea he had ever skated pairs.

11. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Good for him! He's definitely not that tall, but I don't think there are any overhead lifts in Intermediate pairs and below, so it would be doable. How tall was his partner -when they were competing together?

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

About his height. ;)

13. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Some of the easier overhead lifts are allowed at intermediate level in the US (see http://usfigureskating.org/Content/201112PairsFSElementsPrejuv-Int.pdf), but not all teams at that level include lifts with full extension. They're not allowed at lower levels.

14. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

That's good to know. As long as they're not required, am sure they were able to find other ways to be competitive if his jumping ability is anything to go by.

That's what he said :p.

15. UDelpairs2012

UDelpairs2012 New Member

Steven Evans was the Intermediate Pairs Silver Medalist at the 2008 US Jr Championships with Becky Du. He got 5th at southwesterns this season in Sr Men and was on the Jr Podium i believe last year

16. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

I just clicked on the link and just get a list of Skaters,etc. No photo. Rachael stopped when she was 12? When did she start,and what was she doing for moves? Where is Andrew Speroff now? How old was he? I surely hope we can find some pics of them. I'd love to see what Rachael wa like doing Pairs.

17. NarumiAyane

NarumiAyane New Member

Andrew Speroff placed 4th at US nationals in Senior Pairs with Gretchen Donlan. I believe he is 23 years old.

18. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

When was he with Rachael? What level did they get up to? How old were they both then? Gee,I sure hope somebody can find a pic. of those 2 doing Pairs. I'd love to see Rachael skating Pairs with a Partner.

19. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

No, he's 23 now. He was in his early to mid teens when he skated with Rachael.

20. NarumiAyane

NarumiAyane New Member

He skated pairs with Rachael from 2001-04, and they competed nationally up to the intermediate level. They were assigned to a North American Challenge Skate in the 04/05 season, but broke up before the competition

21. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

22. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Johnny Weir competed in pair skating with Jodi Rudden on the juvenile and intermediate levels.

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Kudos for finding this photo, Nomad! :) I thought I had searched online pretty thoroughly!

This link doesn't show you a photo of Kristi Yamaguchi & Rudy Galindo performing a split twist lift? http://figureskating.wikia.com/wiki/File:U96162508.jpg

24. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Gee,what Pairs moves does Rachael have? BTW. I didn't see a photo on the page. Any other skaters we can think of?

25. madm

madm Active Member

Yuka Sato had a very successful amateur singles career, then skated pairs professionally with her husband Jason Dungjen, and now tours in shows as a singles skater.

Michael Chau skated with Tracy Tanovich until two years ago, and now competes in singles. He is quite short and she outgrew him.

26. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

27. madm

madm Active Member

For the record, Andrew and Rachel trained with Broadmoor pair coaches Erik and Nicole Schulz, not Dalilah. After they split in Aug 2004, Rachel continued to do off-ice lifts with Erik for about a year to keep her skills up. She never went back to pair skating though. Andrew switched coaches to Dalilah in early 2005 when Nicole Schulz had their first child and was less available to coach. IIRC Andrew's next partners were Amanda Luchau and then Brittany Chase.

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I can't see a photo but my guess that it's probably either Speroff's current partner, Gretchen Donlan (they've been skating together since 2009-10) or one of his previous partners after Flatt (the 2 listed by madm above).

29. madm

madm Active Member

I forgot that Andrew skated with Arielle Avant for the 2005-2006 season (before Luchau and Chase). There's more about his history in http://figureskatersonline.piczo.com/?g=55798813&cr=6.

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Thanks for the history on Andrew Speroff, madm, but he is competing in Pairs only now, just to be clear for FSWer. :)