Freestyle Skaters who have also done Pairs Skating.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by FSWer, Dec 14, 2010.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Say,I don't know if we ever have talked about this. But I'm interested to know how many Freestyle Skaters we can think of who do Freestyle most of the time have also done Pairs Skating? For example. I know Jennifer Don has done Pairs. But the majority of the time she's a Freestyle Skater. Anyone else?

2. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Paul Wylie.

3. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I miss Jennifer Don. I just loved her skating.

4. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

Some of the most successful at both: Ken Shelley, Kristi Yamaguchi, and Rudi Galindo.

5. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Yuka with Jason (as pros)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  6. officialcoach

officialcoach New Member

Jeremy Abbott, Kyoko Ina,Rudy Galindo, Randy Gardner, Ken Shelley,Kristi Yamaguchi.... all competitors in both disciplines, most were medalists in both.

7. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Rachael Flatt, too.

The other night I dreamed I did a death spiral--filling in for another pair skater at our rink. . . very very weird.

8. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Johnny Weir competed in juvenile pairs along with single skating when he first started. He and his partner were the South Atlantic Regional Champions and placed 4th in the 1997 Junior Olympics.

9. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

I didn't know he did. Who was his Partner? I would love to see Racheal try Pairs.

10. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

From Wikipedia:

At the same time, Wylie was competing in pair skating with partner Dana Graham. They won the junior pairs title at the 1980 U.S. nationals. They were coached by John Nicks, commuting to work with him in California. They placed eighth in the senior division at the 1981 U.S. nationals, but then dissolved their partnership when they lost financial sponsorship.

11. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

COOL!!! Any photos of them? BTW. were is Dana now? Does she still skate? The name doesn't sound familar.

12. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

13. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Kyoko Ina competed in singles - she was the Japanese Junior champion and US Junior champion. She finished fourth in Seniors in 1995.

14. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

16. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

Didn't Rena Inoue also compete in singles? I thought she even went to the Olympics in singles...no?

17. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Steven Carr from Australia competed in both pairs and singles for many years.

18. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Yeah I thought she did for Japan

19. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Yes, she skated in singles until 1998 or so. She was the Japanese silver medalist in 1994 and bronze medalist in 1998, I think.

ETA: She finished 18th at the 94 Olympics.

20. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

Keegan Messing. Used to skate with Ellie Gottstein.

Becky Bereswill.

21. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Though more known for pairs (obviously), Jamie Sale and David Pelletier both competed in singles and had some success.

David was 4th at the 1995 Canadians (2nd in the SP!!) in senior mens, and Jamie was 5th in senior ladies the same year (3rd in junior the year before) and was 12th at junior worlds that year. She also came 6th in 1998.

IIRC, didn't Kurt Browning dabble in pairs a bit in his free time? Maybe back when he was training alongside Kristi Yamaguchi?

And as I mentioned in the Fedor/Jana thread, Fedor and Jenny Kirk tried pairs for a while, though his back troubles (and, I'm assuming, citizenship issues with the two) caused the end of that.

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I think she was taller than he was when they competed together at Intermediate Nationals several years ago! :lol:

Becky Bereswill will make her pairs debut at 2011 US Nationals (Senior) with Trevor Young. She decided not to try and qualify for Nationals in singles this season.

Felicia Zhang is the only skater who will compete in two Senior events at 2011 US Nationals -- Ladies and Pairs (with Taylor Toth). She's also the only U.S. skater to have competed internationally this fall in two disciplines (JGP singles in Dresden, Germany) and pairs at Nebelhorn, Skate America and TEB.

Rachael Flatt's former partner, Andrew Speroff (with whom she won the 2004 Intermediate Pairs title), will make his Senior Pairs debut at 2011 US Nationals with Gretchen Donlan.

ryanbfan, I'm surprised you didn't mention Ryan Bradley! ;) He and Tiffany Vise competed at 1998 Nationals and placed 6th in Novice Pairs.

23. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

24. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

What about singles, pairs, AND dance? I know Jeremy Abbott competed in all three disciplines, but probably not all at high levels.

25. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

Bahaha, that's right! It says on his wiki article and I've read the damn thing so many times I should've known :duh:

Ashley Cain currently competes as a Junior lady and Junior pairs team with Joshua Reagan.

26. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Until 2007 Meagan Duhamel was better known as a singles skater, having won the junior Canadian title in 2003, coming 4th in senior ladies in 2006, and 5th at 4CC that same year. Her first partner, Ryan Arnold competed nationally in singles for a while too (never doing much, but having qualified for the LP on occasion), and her current partner, Eric Radford, competed solely in singles until 2005, and IIRC he was one year the junior national champion in mens.

27. alij

alij Active Member

Going back in time Cynthia Coull competed at 85 Worlds in pairs and ladies. At that time, I seem to remember, other canadian skaters also trained/tested all disciplines Lyndon Johnston passed Gold test at Singles, Pairs and Dance.

28. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

I recall reading somewhere that Maxim Marinnin (sp?) started out as a singles skater, but decided he could never make it (against Plush, Yags, etc.) and switched to pairs.

29. madm

madm Active Member

Adding to the list -

Current competitors: Amanda Dobbs, Mary Beth Marley, Lindsay Davis

Past competitors: John Baldwin (OK he might be current but should retire soon!), Nancy Kerrigan, Naomi Nari Nam

Honestly, all pair skaters skated singles before they started doing pairs, it's just a matter of how far they went with their singles skating. Quite a few of the current U.S. senior pair girls were competing in singles just 2 years ago. There seems to be a trend of pair guys looking for strong girl jumpers to convert to pair skaters. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it just looks like the singles skaters never quite master the pair elements (e.g. Caydee Denney who has great jumps but horrendous death spirals and lift positions).

30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Video::

1980 Dana Graham & Paul Wylie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOy8pAR4Dd8

Dick Button singled Paul out for special praise at the Exhibition in Atlanta. (I was there).
    He performed magnificently, in both singles and pairs.