FREE show at NYC's Bryant Park ice rink - Saturday, Jan. 5th 5-6 pm

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

http://citipondatbryantpark.com/event/sing-and-skate-against-breast-cancer-benefit-show
    Official Flyer: http://sl2events.com/thesingskateagainstbreastcancer.html
    Skating performances by Emily Hughes, Kimmie Meissner, Nicole Bobek, Elena Glebova; Announcer JoJo Starbuck.

2. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Scissoring Cizeron!

I'll be there! :D I'll post my thoughts on it afterwards for those who can't be there.

3. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I will too (hopefully)
    How crowded do these things get though?

4. JeffClair1979

The tree lighting last month was well attended, but not super crowded... but that was a week night, and this is a weekend afternoon so it could go either way. I'd still suggest getting there around 4:30 to ensure a good spot (seat or standing- they usually put a few rows of chairs out).

5. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Oo, if we lived in NYC, we'd definitely want to go to this!

6. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

Lol, I'm randomly in NYC this weekend and actually now realize I walked right past this around 5 pm.

I wuzrobbed myself of Glebova!! As long as she didn't give us an encore performance of SATC, I won't be too devastated!

7. JeffClair1979

Hi all! On my phone, so it's kind of hard to post too vigorously. Loved the show! There were a lot of technical issues (sound, etc) but that didn't take away from the great cause and beautiful skating! The opening number was from Cold as Ice, the musical (which apparently is broadway bound?!) was a nice synchro number. Next was the lovely Emily Hughes, who I just love to see perform. Such joy for the sport! Her mom made a breif speech, which was very moving. Then was Nicole Bobek, who is as fit and sexy as ever. Nice routine from her! Then was Elena Glebova, who I've seen live before, and I thought she was great! She did another number from Cold as Ice, which was sung live to a recorded voice track- sorta distracting. I wish all of these ladies would skate with their hair down more often, because it adds a nice aesthetic value, especially in spins. Kimmie finished off the solos. She had a fall, but it was on a 2A, and I give her a tons of credit for still trying to put out some competitive technical content! She's just lovely. Had a great time, but left after Kimmie cuz we were freezing!! Sorry if any auto correct issues are in this post- it's from an iPhone lol

8. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I was there too, and I had so much fun!
    I got there super early and got a front row seat
    Loved seeing Nicole Bobek - I'd never seen her before and she was quite entertaining! Nice spiral as well.

Like Jeff said, no one really attempted that difficult jump content, but Elena Glebova did a bunch of nice triple toes during warmup - she doubled it in comp though

Nice to see the little girls skate - one of them had very nice spins

9. Suze

Suze Active Member

I'm sad I had to miss this. I look forward to reading more about it and seeing pictures or viewing youtube clips from it (if anyone is gracious enough to share)

10. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I also attended. It was nice to see Bobek and Hughes again. Surprisingly, Elena Glebova made an appearance as well (she was not listed on the program). Meissner also performed.

I took a few pics - the lighting really left something to be desired so many didn't turn out...but I'll see if I can share some later.