Frank Carroll no longer working with Mirai Nagasu

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by chipso1, Apr 4, 2012.

1. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Per Phil Hersh on Twitter:

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I'm sure she was exhausted, but the length of the drive didn't seem to be an issue previously.
    Nevertheless, I hope they are both happy with this decision and that Mirai can do well with her new coaches.

3. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Is Gracie Gold packing her bags?

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Didn't Frank move rinks last year?

5. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Not a huge surprise. Thanks for posting.

6. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

You gotta think someone is!!

7. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I doubt it.

Why? It was pretty clear that Frank & Mirai just weren't communicating well last season. While Frank is a great coach, his tough love approach just never seemed to work well for her.

8. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Someone is, or will be, packing their bags to work with Frank soon. He's still a catch!

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She's fine where she is, I really hope not.

10. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I thought Mirai had to commute to work with him previously as well.

11. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Oh, Mirai. I hope this works out for her, but working with several coaches nearby instead of training with one? Just doesn't inspire confidence. :(

12. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

:( I'm also worried too. I hope it works out.

13. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Well, I'm certainly not shocked. At all.

The best of luck to Mirai. I hope she finds the right coach.

14. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

DAMN!!! Does she really need THAT MANY coaches?

15. winterone

winterone Banned Member

I disagree, I don't think she is fine where she is. That crazy Russian is a great technician who only knows one dimention and It shows in her style.

16. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

Alissa Czisny?

Davis & White? :p

danafan and (deleted member) like this.
  17. feraina

feraina Well-Known Member

Sad. I thought it was such a match made in heaven when they first teamed up. I often wished Caroline could've worked with Frank Carroll, but it wasn't realistic when he had already taken Mirai. But now I don't think Caroline would want to do the 2-hour drive either, and plus the Peter/Karen combo seems to be working out for her really well, and she's getting to train really close to home, in rinks she had grown up in.

18. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

Where is Rafael Arutunian coaching? I remember Mirai mentioned that she liked working with him. Or is he too far away?

julieann and (deleted member) like this.
  19. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

*sigh* After reading her interview and now this...I'll always like her skating, but not everyone's cut out to be a world champion and always in the public eye. I can wish all kinds of things for her but as she doesn't seem to want what I want it's irrelevant isn't it? But I think I'll always mentally put her in the folder "Could Have Been".

I don't know, maybe I'm writing her off too soon? Maybe with a coaching change and new people around her she'll be able to tap into something she never would have found previously? I guess I just won't be holding my breath is all.

20. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Oh boy

21. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I don't know if the relationship would have worked even if he'd stayed local, but I'm guessing that the new location is going to pose problems for a lot of skaters.

22. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

I don't find this too surprising. The length of commute back and forth was clearly too much. I don't know how productive one can be under those circumstances even when you're working with one of the best coaches in Frank Carroll.

As for her current coaching situation, maybe she'll pick a main coach after working with several different coaches and getting a feel for their coaching style.

23. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Not at all surprising, but I'm thrilled it's finally happened. I really don't think Frank and Mirai were good for one another- so potentially this could be much better. :cheer:

24. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

If she goes to Rafael it would be best, hope that happens. But she really needs someone who is going to push her and she said Rafael doesn't do that so much. I just really hope she makes the world team again, it'd be such a shame if it never happens again. Frank did give her really drab programs lately, so yeah maybe this will be ok.

25. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I think Frank's on his way into retirement and moving to Palm Springs was part of that. He had to know that he'd lose students over the move and I suspect he wants to lose students so he can start taking it easier. I would be surprised if some big name now went to him to replace Mirai.

But I've been wrong before...

26. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

well, I believe the drive to where Raphael is is also a long one.

27. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Not surprising. I hope the new coaching situation works for her.

28. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I think you are correct. I suspect he will continue with work on and off with Evan, as long as Evan is skating in shows, (I don't think Evan is coming back) but it looks like at least semi retirement to me.

29. sassybuford

sassybuford New Member

Rafael is based at Ice Castle in Lake Arrowhead, or at least he was last summer when Evan worked with him there.

30. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

Who's with Mark Mitchell these days? Boston's a nice place :cool:, and a new start somewhere new might be helpful.

julieann and (deleted member) like this.