Frank Carroll new student...

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by inthemiddle, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

ITA
    Have no idea why everybody's snarking about Ten's programs here. I thought they were decent and quite interesting in choreo. Especially considering it was his first full season in seniors.

2. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

And also encourage him to showcase himself a little more. He never quite got into the music or the performance, and can come off as boring at times even when skating to Sing Sing Sing.

3. Markulliz

Markulliz Banned Member

:scream:

OMG, I like Ten, but this choice just wrong. He was underscored all last season, he doesn't need another coach, but he needs to be mark correctly by corrupt judges. :mad: Hope this just a rumor. What a nightmare will be for so talented skater and defiantly medal contender for Sochi 2014.

4. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Where does he belong exactly? Surely that's up to the skater themselves to decide. :confused:

5. ZuZu

ZuZu Guest

Well, in this particular case going to Frank Carroll would actually be a quite clever move. :cat:

6. Markulliz

Markulliz Banned Member

So you agree judges corrupt and Frank Carroll will do his magic to improve his marks. If this is only the reason he is moving, :duh: ISU JS is falling part.:lol:

7. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

In that case Frank Carrol is GOOD move. Hello, Olympic Gold Medalist with no quad and a triple axel that looks like a salchow? Also Mirai - 70+ points for a SP with no 3-3? Clearly Frank knows how to work the system.

8. Markulliz

Markulliz Banned Member

You mean buying judges :shuffle: anyway I liked both Ten's programs this year, it was light and joy and only he needs just more experience in seniors and fair judging. Hope he will get that next year.

9. pinky166

Buying judges? I'm pretty sure he just teaches his skaters to milk CoP for all it's worth...and it works. Tom has done the same thing for Rachael...how she manages to get level 4s for all her spins is beyond me.

10. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Exactly. He couldn't manage one clean LP all season. His SP was charming, but his LP was a mess. Mirai's consistency has improved tremendously under Frank, and I hope he can do the same for Denis. He's incredibly talented, but completely unable to deliver. Hopefully working with Carroll will help that.

11. Nan

Nan Just me

You have to understand, for Markulliz, it's always about the pay-offs and bribes, it's never about switching to a different coach because he's a good coach and can help you improve.

12. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Hopefully Frank can give him music for his free that doesn't make ears bleed. :scream:

13. shah

shah Shhh...

mind my words, he'll give him Carmen and Scheherezade :lol:

14. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Beyond me too. Boy those camels are so not exciting!

15. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Eventually, he probably will give either (or both) of those pieces to Ten. However, I also believe that Carroll gives Gene Kelly numbers to his male skaters -- I wonder which one of those musical numbers Ten will try.

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Does Frank Carroll give music to his skaters? I thought his choreographers did.

If Ten ends up with "Carmen" and "Scheherezade", it's probably good for Carroll, because after all of these years, I would guess he's inured to them.

17. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Hopefully it's Xanadu. Can you just imagine?

18. pinky166

19. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

TAKE THAT BACK!! :lol: It's time to give Scheherazade a break. She's told many stories but I think only one of them was worth listening to. :p

If Caroll was buying the judges, it wouldn't have taken him so long to finally have a student of his win Olympic gold (like it or not) or for that matter, US's medal streak might not have ended. ;)

20. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

If Ten had all the goods to become a leading one, he would have been higher than 13th (15th in freeskate) in Turin WC... In my opinion Carroll is exactly the right person to coach Ten for better results in competitions. Being just a talented skater is never enough, one needs a lot more to become a top skater.

21. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

The two points are not subsequential, imo.

Let's see:
    Carroll might have decided to go for corruption only after having repeatedly failed the other way.
    Or he might have developed good corruption skills only after a numer of years (corruption is indeed some kind of talent, some people are better than others, some are naturals, and some are just not capable of doing it).
    Or he might have had the right mixture of corruption-kid talent-performances just after a number of attempts.

Mind you tho: I'm not saying I think Carroll bought judges. I'm just pointing that the fact he only won OG this late in his coach career is no indication he didn't.

22. gratefulmkfan

gratefulmkfan New Member

Maligning Frank Carroll is just so not cool. He's an internationally respected coach of the highest level, and he is known for his good character. If Frank ever paid off anybody, I would give up watching figure skating. That's how much trust I have in Frank's integrity.

I love Dennis Ten, and I think he will do well with Frank if he's willing to put in the hard work. He's very talented, but that alone won't get him anywhere. There's no substitute for practice, practice, practice. See Kostner's results the past few years for proof thereof. Frank believes in full program run-throughs, sometimes several times a day, depending on where the skater's at. That's why Michelle, Evan and Mirai did/are doing so well working with Frank. They are all willing workers, disciplined athletes, who listen to their coach. I hope Dennis is also, and I look forward to seeing the good results.

23. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

I think you can call Kostner a lot of things but definetly not a slacker. This girl practices her butt off.

But on topic: I am so happy that Ten got away from Tarasova. He is an incredible talent and I wanted to run away from my screen or from my place in the rink every time he skated his horrendous programs last year. They SO did not fit him. Especially the short program. Shudder.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  24. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

There is no way Frank Carroll "bought" judges. Period. The man's intergity has NEVER been questioned. And never will be. To suggest otherwise only reveals the poster's total ignorance of the man and his character.

Why do people find it so hard to believe that Evan won through hard work and intelligent use of the rules currently in place? Frank succeeds as a coach because he is smart and focussed on bringing out the best in all of his skaters, not just the champions.

CynicElle and (deleted member) like this.
  25. pinky166

Agree about Kostner. The same is true of Tomas Verner, he skates like 6 hours a day. I've actually seen him skate practice sessions and he's amazing. Just because these skaters are nervous and bomb competitions, doesn't mean they slack off in practice.

Also agree about Ten, his SP this season was still amazing despite the awful music choices because he's so talented, and he just turned 17, he's super young and already so good! Excited to see how Carroll handles him.

And Carroll def does not bribe the judges or whatever. He's one of the best coaches around and he has always had tons of students. That's nothing new.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Reposting from the U.S. Senior Men's thread in the Trash Can:
    At last count: Lysacek (for now), Mirai Nagasu, Denis Ten, Jonathan Cassar, Drew Gonzales, Kristiene Gong, Ellie Kawamura, Leah Keiser (novice champ)...

27. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Nagasu?

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Edited in now. :)

29. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Wasn't Lainey Diggs one of his as well? Did she retire or change coaches?

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Laney Diggs switched from Frank Carroll/Christa Fassi after 2010 Nationals to Ivan Dinev/Angela Nikodinov but, last I heard, is taking time off from competitive skating (haven't seen an official announcement, though).