Frank Carroll new student...

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by inthemiddle, Apr 16, 2010.

1. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

The two points are not subsequential, imo.

Let's see:
    Carroll might have decided to go for corruption only after having repeatedly failed the other way.
    Or he might have developed good corruption skills only after a numer of years (corruption is indeed some kind of talent, some people are better than others, some are naturals, and some are just not capable of doing it).
    Or he might have had the right mixture of corruption-kid talent-performances just after a number of attempts.

Mind you tho: I'm not saying I think Carroll bought judges. I'm just pointing that the fact he only won OG this late in his coach career is no indication he didn't.
  2. gratefulmkfan

gratefulmkfan New Member

Maligning Frank Carroll is just so not cool. He's an internationally respected coach of the highest level, and he is known for his good character. If Frank ever paid off anybody, I would give up watching figure skating. That's how much trust I have in Frank's integrity.

I love Dennis Ten, and I think he will do well with Frank if he's willing to put in the hard work. He's very talented, but that alone won't get him anywhere. There's no substitute for practice, practice, practice. See Kostner's results the past few years for proof thereof. Frank believes in full program run-throughs, sometimes several times a day, depending on where the skater's at. That's why Michelle, Evan and Mirai did/are doing so well working with Frank. They are all willing workers, disciplined athletes, who listen to their coach. I hope Dennis is also, and I look forward to seeing the good results.
  3. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

I think you can call Kostner a lot of things but definetly not a slacker. This girl practices her butt off.

But on topic: I am so happy that Ten got away from Tarasova. He is an incredible talent and I wanted to run away from my screen or from my place in the rink every time he skated his horrendous programs last year. They SO did not fit him. Especially the short program. Shudder.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  4. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

There is no way Frank Carroll "bought" judges. Period. The man's intergity has NEVER been questioned. And never will be. To suggest otherwise only reveals the poster's total ignorance of the man and his character.

Why do people find it so hard to believe that Evan won through hard work and intelligent use of the rules currently in place? Frank succeeds as a coach because he is smart and focussed on bringing out the best in all of his skaters, not just the champions.
    CynicElle and (deleted member) like this.
  5. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Agree about Kostner. The same is true of Tomas Verner, he skates like 6 hours a day. I've actually seen him skate practice sessions and he's amazing. Just because these skaters are nervous and bomb competitions, doesn't mean they slack off in practice.

Also agree about Ten, his SP this season was still amazing despite the awful music choices because he's so talented, and he just turned 17, he's super young and already so good! Excited to see how Carroll handles him.

And Carroll def does not bribe the judges or whatever. He's one of the best coaches around and he has always had tons of students. That's nothing new.
  6. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Reposting from the U.S. Senior Men's thread in the Trash Can:
    At last count: Lysacek (for now), Mirai Nagasu, Denis Ten, Jonathan Cassar, Drew Gonzales, Kristiene Gong, Ellie Kawamura, Leah Keiser (novice champ)...
  7. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

8. Sylvia

Edited in now. :)
  9. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Wasn't Lainey Diggs one of his as well? Did she retire or change coaches?
  10. Sylvia

Laney Diggs switched from Frank Carroll/Christa Fassi after 2010 Nationals to Ivan Dinev/Angela Nikodinov but, last I heard, is taking time off from competitive skating (haven't seen an official announcement, though).
  11. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ What about Danielle Kahle?

I really liked her style and her jumps when I saw her last at nationals, but I haven't heard about her since.
  12. Sylvia

Kahle hasn't been coached by Carroll since the 2007-2008 season (when she last made Nationals and placed 12th). Her last international was Finlandia Trophy in October 2008 and Charlene Wong was her coach there, as well as at Sectionals in November 2008 (also Sectionals in November 2009? she was 6th). I haven't heard if she is planning to continue competing.
  13. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

Laney was judging at the All Year Competition a few weekends back.
  14. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Danielle is coaching at Easy Street Arena (well, now it's the Simi Valley Iceoplex) in Simi Valley, CA. She's not competing anymore, as far as I know. She coached one of my group classes a few months ago, heh.
  15. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

:(........... I loved her skating. Hopefully, she'll bring some good skaters up into the ranks.
  16. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

I spoke with Laney at the All Year Club competition (not GW, Club comp) where she was judging (you can have anyone judge at a Club comp, it's not USFSA sanction and AY uses this as a way to start or try new potential judges). Laney said that she is going to UC Berkeley (Cal) this coming school year and will continue to skate some (a few times per week), but will be concentrating on her studies.

Best of luck to her. I hope that she comes back on to the skating scene, once she feels comfortable with her new academic career.
  17. deedeelocks

deedeelocks xx

Nah, the actual skating is more like 3 hours a day. In Oberstdorf Tomas had sessions of 1.5 or 1 hour, and then 2 or 3 a day.

but of course there is the warm-up, stretching, off ice training, ballet, dance class etc.
  18. pinky166

So on Yuna's ISU bio, when it says 48 hours/week, it doesn't mean that she's actually SKATING for 8 hours a day, 6 days a week? That would maybe be too much skating. But what else would she be doing? Would it be like skating for 4 hours, cardio for 1 hour, weights/personal trainer for 1 hour, stretching for 1 hour, and like a dance class for 1 hour? That would be 8 hours. Seems like these skaters do a lot of extra stuff in addition to skating.
  19. deedeelocks

deedeelocks xx

I don't know about Yu-na, but Tomas usually has ballet, Modern dance, stretching, powertraining, balance, cardio, warm-up, cooling down...stuff like that... in addition to the skating. But not everything every day, and in summer the off ice activities are a lot more intense than in the season. (atleast, in the past, in Oberstdorf...)

don't forget that warm up and cooling down also take some time...and if you have 3 sessions a day...
  20. pinky166

Oh cool, that sounds like a lot of fun/intense stuff! As for Yuna, I kind of doubt she skates for 8 hours a day, I think I saw a video where the announcer said she's on the ice for about 3 or 4 hours a day. I assume she does all that other stuff as well, there's a youtube video of her doing hip hop dance, she's really good at it :)!
  21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I would assume she trains for 7-8 hours a day total. So that's skating plus all the off ice stuff.
  22. Sylvia

Kristine Musademba's USFS/Icenetwork bio has been updated, and it lists her new coaches as Frank Carroll, Ken Congemi and Christa Fassi. Her club is still listed as Washington FSC (South Atlantic region).
  23. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Doesn't appear that Frank will be retiring any time soon!
  24. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

So Congemi is back coaching? Didn't he walk away from it for a year or two?

That's a lot of highly priced coaches to be on one's payroll at any one time :eek:.
  25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I, too, was surprised to see Congemi's name.
  26. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Unless Frank's raised his rates dramatically since Evan's Olympic win, he's not THAT high priced (as in I knowcoaches with way less credentials than Frank has who charge a whole lot more). Frank's not as low as Priscilla Hill, now, but he's still in the reasonable hourly rate range.
  27. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

28. Sylvia

Mirai Nagasu's coaches are listed in her USFS bio as "Frank Carroll, Ken Congemi, Galina Barinova, Sondra Holmes." It's pretty common for skaters to have one or more secondary coaches in Southern California because of the different rinks they often must travel to and train at.

The summer training camp at the El Segundo rink (Toyota Sports Center) has just ended, and Frank Carroll is moving his coaching base back up the mountain to Ice Castle in Lake Arrowhead.
  29. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Wow. Another girl for Eastern's who moved to Carroll. Well, this will free up the Eastern section even more!
  30. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Not if she still represents the Eastern club.
  31. Sylvia

As I posted above, Musademba still lists her club as Washington FSC, so it remains to be seen if she will be competing at South Atlantic or Southwest Pacific Regionals. Her Cup of China GP assignment does give her a bye through her Sectional, though.
  32. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

33. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Oh, I see. However, can't some skaters obtain permission to compete in a different region if their main training base is located there? It seems unlikely that Kristine would fly home just to compete at Eastern Sectionals. Now that I think about it....Pacific Coast Sectionals are also full of talent...Dobbs, Diggs, Gong, Kawamura, Zhang, Zhou, Lam, Davis..etc.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  34. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Sylvia just posted 2 above you that Kristine has a bye through sectionals so she won't need to compete there.
  35. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Oh. I thought she meant that she had a bye TO her sectional not through it. ;)
  36. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

No, you have to skate in the region your club is in. But it's easy enough to change clubs if she wanted to skate out of Pac Coast.
  37. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Not sure about that one. I recall a skater a few years ago skating at North Atlantics and representing the Skating Club of Boston.

ETA: Ahh....here she is. Rachel Hoang (SCOB) skated in Juvenile Girls CIR B.

http://web.icenetwork.com/events/detail.jsp?id=34495

So there must be some rule about this.
  38. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

There is a different rule for Juvenile & Intermediate skaters in the US (who advance to Junior Nationals) - basically, they can compete in the region of their home address or their primary training location. Sounds like Rachel might have been in that situation. It's home club for Novice, Junior & Senior skaters.
  39. Sylvia

Yes, it's Rule 3102 in the USFS rulebook.
  40. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

As was said, Juvenile and Intermediate have a different system. I didn't bring them into it so as not to complicate things. :D

Basically, they have to skate out of the region they are training in.