Frank Carroll eventually to relocate to a new rink near Palm Springs, CA

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Posted by a reliable source at the Toyota Sports Center rink: http://www.mkforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24303

2. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I guess that means Mirai will be be making a move, too...

3. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Must be a $$$ decision. I wouldn't think Mirai would want to move from her parents?

4. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

True, but I just can't picture her leaving Carroll at this point. :confused:

5. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

It's not like he's moving to the other side of the country. How many hours drive from one rink to the other is it?

6. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Oh gosh -- not a drive you'd want to do on a daily basis, much less twice a day.

7. Fabrichnova

Fabrichnova Active Member

It's about a 2.5 hour drive (give or take) from El Segundo to Cathedral City. Probably wouldn't want to commute on a daily basis, but certainly not a cross-country move by any means. Plus, she'd be around the age of a college freshman by the time the rink opens. She might welcome the move.

8. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I am surprised he is still making changes. With his accomplishments in the past and then this season I thought he might think about retirement or seriously cutting back coaching.

Looks like Nagasu is going to have to consider whether she wants to dedicate herself to full time exlcusive training the way Kwan did and put college on hold.

9. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Thus the destination Palm Springs. It's a retirement community. Frank probably has lots of friends there already. The average age in Palm Springs is about 70. If you're in your 50s and lives in PS, you're young!

10. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Thanks luenatic. Now it makes sense. Nagasu is going to be a baby over there :D

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  11. dr.frog

dr.frog Well-Known Member

Frank Carroll has owned a home in Palm Springs as far back as the days when he coached Michelle Kwan at Lake Arrowhead; it's been pretty widely reported in the media over the years that it's where he lives. Carroll has always been very private about his private life, but I always kinda figured he has an SO there.

Anyway, now that he's finally got his OOOOO gold medalist, it seems like a good time for him to be thinking about making changes that will put him closer to where he wants to be in retirement. For quite some time he's surely been in a position where he can pick and choose his pupils and how hard he wants to work.

12. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I wouldn't think Mirai would need him every day for practice. She's not a novice skater. They can decide what they want her to work on, even if it's off ice, and she can meet with him maybe weekly if need be until it gets closer to comps.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

SO?

14. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Significant Other =).

15. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

Significant Other. (partner, lover, etc.)

16. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

Significant other ;).

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Heh thanks, I've never seen that abbreviation used before. :p

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

A little more info, posted by another person affiliated with TSC in El Segundo:
    Nagasu is currently scheduled to perform in all the SOI tour dates in April, followed by 2 southern California stops in late May.

19. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

And what about school? Will Mirai be doing this trip back and forth everyday? It will be exhausting.

20. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

That was my thought too. Most skaters probably could cut costs by not having lessons every day. There certainly is merit to being able to practice on one's own! If she doesn't want to move, there are ways to work around it.

21. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I thought she did on-line school? If not, she certainly could. She's already said that she's not especially school-oriented.

22. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I'll be surprised if the rink opens as scheduled. Does Frank have any family---brothers, sisters, etc?

23. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

She does school online through connections academy so I don't think moving would be a huge issue for her. She seems pretty self sufficient, and it wouldn't be for a couple years anyways. She's turning 17 in two weeks so by the time the rink opens she'll be 19 and would likely be fine living by herself, she might even like getting away. I think she plans on taking a few years off after she graduates before going to college, and seems to be interested in art and fashion, so she might end up at an art or design school anyways, and realistically that may not happen until after the 2014 Olympics.

24. MikiAndoFan#1

Oh, I didn't know that.

25. pinky166

Just started this year when she switched to the rink that was farther away. Last year apparently she rarely got enough sleep because she was up so late doing homework all the time.

26. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Does Mirai graduate high school this year or next?

27. MikiAndoFan#1

Aw, poor girl.

:(

Being a figure skater and a high school student must be so hard.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  28. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

Unless you are Rachel Flatt!! ;)

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  29. pinky166

Next year. She's a junior, the class of 2011. Her birthday is in a few weeks :)

BlueRidge and (deleted member) like this.
  30. MikiAndoFan#1

That girl can do it all! Will she be taking a year off skating to go to college?