Frank Carroll concerned: crunch time for Evan

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Yazmeen, Sep 17, 2013.

1. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Getting back to Evan, which international comps are still available for Evan?
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Re-posting from earlier in the thread:

Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria (Nov. 19-24) is the latest of the 6 Senior B comps currently listed on USFS' International Assignments page; USFS has sent skaters in previous years to Golden Spin of Zagreb in Croatia - 2013 dates are Dec. 5-8.
  3. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

4. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

You've just made a huge assumption about me. It is possible to think that if someone was commentating and is expected to have some sort of objectivity that both behavior was less than professional. Let's turn the situation around. Had S/P won and Sandra Bezic screamed for joy, would you have been ok with that?
  5. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

Torn labrum? Evan Lysacek's competitive career is over. Full stop. No US Nationals, no Sochi, no medical miracles. I expect this thread will meander on until the inescapable truth can't be avoided any longer.
  6. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm actually a doctor and I wouldn't feel comfortable saying that for sure. You must have some magical insight into his hip injury to absolutely be sure of this. :rolleyes: I don't expect a good outcome here skating-wise either, but good grief, let's let the situation develop first before we make dire pronouncements.
  7. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

From Bonnie D. Ford's Olympics blog article for ESPN.com: http://espn.go.com/blog/olympics/post/_/id/3750/will-latest-injury-derail-lysaceks-sochi-hopes
    The wording in the part of his quote I bolded above is unfortunate, IMO.
  8. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I think he should go ahead and skate at Skate America. He could do very little and still get the minimum scores required.
  9. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Really, with a torn labrum? You might want to do a little research about the injury.:slinkaway
  10. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

She's wrong. He's wrong. For her it's not 2010 anymore lots of men do clean quads every competiton they Enter. She's just wrong about what's going on. He's just wildly exaggerating and being ridiculous As there is no 4 quad all falls performance. This is just wrong and like his comment prior about clean performances with quads being rarer than non quad Performances or whatever. Lots of performances with quads are clean. This article was a duet of ignorance.
  11. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

funny, i cant remember many 4 quad attempt programs
  12. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Kevin Reynolds, I believe, was "attempting" 4 quads a couple seasons ago in his LP. I can't find any protocols that indicate that - at the CoC 2011 his protocols have three quads, with one (the Loop) receiving a downgrade.

Anyway, I'd be interested who particularly Lysacek was referring to when he made his statement, because a number of the men that have fallen on the quad have certainly landed it before.
  13. unicorn

unicorn Member

Clean performances with quads are muuuch less than those aren't clean. If he can compete, if he can still be rock solid, there's still a chance, why not. Look at Jeffrey Buttle at 2012 Japan Open, Elvis Stojko at 2000 worlds, or Todd Eldredge at 2001 worlds.
  14. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

you're much more likely to see a unicorn

ahh...here's one:

15. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

Actually IIRC, VIETgrlTerifa was one of those who was pretty amused by Rodnina's reaction and has consistently been put off by Sandra Bezic. I think her overall point was that there was simply a lack of professionalism involved and that it's not particularly fair to be so overly critical of our country's commentators when others do the same thing .

I will confess that Rodnina's reaction was somewhat cathartic for me after being subjected to NBC's behavior ...:shuffle:
  16. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I couldn't help it. I'm a huge Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze fan and how can you not love Rodnina, the queen of Pairs skating. :)
  17. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Yazmeen, others with labrum or medical experience - have you ever heard of a hip labrum healing without surgical intervention?
  18. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

UGH. Please. I've never been a fan of Evan. At all. But I'm soooo over his hypocrisy. Either have an opinion and stick to it, or just be quiet. This is the guy who kept attempting quads throughout 2006-2008 when he rarely landed a clean quad internationally. And criticized those who didn't even attempt it as taking the sports backwards. Then had the guts with all his failed Quads to advocate for a Figure skating jumping competition X-games style. Then criticized Abbott for winning 09 Nats and Chan for winning 09 4CC without even attempting a quad. Then goes ahead and wins worlds and the Olympics without a quad. Then suddenly adopts the stance he's always advocated against: "Quads are not everything!" And now he has the balls to criticize skaters going for quads and make up stories about make-believe skaters who attempt 4 quads without ever having landed one?????

Be graceful you sour puss. /rant
  19. unicorn

unicorn Member

ahh...that's three unicorns.
    jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  20. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

My magical crystal ball. But let's do it your way--we'll let the situation develop first. Then around, say, January-ish, can I come back and say "I told you so?"
  21. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

According to the Mayo Clinic, some people recover in a few weeks with conservative treatment. Of course that depends on the severity of the tear. In my original post, I should have said If at all possible.... He could probably get the required score with doubles.

When is Plushenko's first competition?
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  22. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

At this stage, the Volvo Cup in Riga, Latvia, from November 7-10, followed by the Cup of Russia.
  23. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Even if it is a mild tear, there is not enough time to rehab the injury in time for Skate America. Per Evan, the labrum tear was discovered on MRI last Thursday (September 26), and will require him to be off ice additional time. Even if Evan is off ice a just a few weeks, Skate America is in a few weeks. Evan would have needed to be able to do full programs at least one week prior to Skate America (the deadline for USFSA to name a replacement)...which would have given Evan about one week off the ice before he would have needed to resume training, and would have given him only one week to train programs before the WD deadline.
  24. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

And won't you just be the BEST for doing that!!! We'll all have to remember to cheer - ood for you, but a memo, this is about Evan, not you.

In all seriousness, here is some reliable info on these injuries from Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hip-labral-tear/DS00920

Treatment may be conservative (meds, PT) or surgical. It really depends on the individual and his/her injury. I honestly think this will likely be the last straw for Evan, competition-wise and that he won't be able to move forward, but as a clinician, we have to wait and see how it plays out. Which is why I dislike nasty little "Done...gone" slams like jiejies. It doesn't look good, but we have to see what happens.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  25. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Ah, poor choice of words, which will come back to haunt him obviously. :(

Btw, the first person I thought of was Max Aaron (he's going for 4/5 quads this season), but then I read it again and he says "never landed a quad in their lives", so "no" he didn't mean him. :D

My advice: go have a talk with one of the people you look up to in skating, Scott Hamilton, whom is famous for living by his credo the only obstacle in life is a bad attitude. :)
  26. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Good points. like what happened to quads have x games appeal? and look at the scoring of snowboarding. Nothing like cop. Not 6.0 but 100.0
  27. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

I thought I was as entitled as you to put my opinion out on this forum, which was about the thread topic Evan. You may not like the message or the style of delivery, but that's your problem more than mine. Go ahead and give me all the negative rep you want since I am defenseless to counter. Being from a medical family myself, I'm going to refrain from being impressed by your own doctorhood. The handwriting for Evan is on the wall and has been from some time, regardless of my considerable respect for his work ethic and accomplishments.
  28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The narrative of the last few years has been:

1. He announces he's competing.
    2. He gets injured.
    3. He withdraws
    4. USFS says they'll do everything possible to accommodate him.
    5. A lot of people predict he's done for good.

Rinse and repeat.

Like a stopped clock, one of these times, #5 will be right.
    bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  29. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Except for the year he (or his management co) allegedly wanted $$$ just to show up at a competition. That season he wasn't injured- just having "contractual disputes"
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  30. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

It's karma at work that some people getting so ruffled up in this thread about Evan criticism are the same ones who have been bashing certain female Olympic champions any chance they get for over 10 years now. :lol: I didn't know we weren't able to criticize some Olympic champs. Someone should make a spreadsheet so we know who is off limits.

Back to Evan, if he wants to keep dragging out the inevitable, that's his decision. I do feel bad for him for many reasons.