Frank Carroll concerned: crunch time for Evan

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Yazmeen, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

According to the Mayo Clinic, some people recover in a few weeks with conservative treatment. Of course that depends on the severity of the tear. In my original post, I should have said If at all possible.... He could probably get the required score with doubles.

When is Plushenko's first competition?
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  2. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

At this stage, the Volvo Cup in Riga, Latvia, from November 7-10, followed by the Cup of Russia.
  3. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Even if it is a mild tear, there is not enough time to rehab the injury in time for Skate America. Per Evan, the labrum tear was discovered on MRI last Thursday (September 26), and will require him to be off ice additional time. Even if Evan is off ice a just a few weeks, Skate America is in a few weeks. Evan would have needed to be able to do full programs at least one week prior to Skate America (the deadline for USFSA to name a replacement)...which would have given Evan about one week off the ice before he would have needed to resume training, and would have given him only one week to train programs before the WD deadline.
  4. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

And won't you just be the BEST for doing that!!! We'll all have to remember to cheer - ood for you, but a memo, this is about Evan, not you.

In all seriousness, here is some reliable info on these injuries from Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hip-labral-tear/DS00920

Treatment may be conservative (meds, PT) or surgical. It really depends on the individual and his/her injury. I honestly think this will likely be the last straw for Evan, competition-wise and that he won't be able to move forward, but as a clinician, we have to wait and see how it plays out. Which is why I dislike nasty little "Done...gone" slams like jiejies. It doesn't look good, but we have to see what happens.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  5. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Ah, poor choice of words, which will come back to haunt him obviously. :(

Btw, the first person I thought of was Max Aaron (he's going for 4/5 quads this season), but then I read it again and he says "never landed a quad in their lives", so "no" he didn't mean him. :D

My advice: go have a talk with one of the people you look up to in skating, Scott Hamilton, whom is famous for living by his credo the only obstacle in life is a bad attitude. :)
  6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Good points. like what happened to quads have x games appeal? and look at the scoring of snowboarding. Nothing like cop. Not 6.0 but 100.0
  7. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

I thought I was as entitled as you to put my opinion out on this forum, which was about the thread topic Evan. You may not like the message or the style of delivery, but that's your problem more than mine. Go ahead and give me all the negative rep you want since I am defenseless to counter. Being from a medical family myself, I'm going to refrain from being impressed by your own doctorhood. The handwriting for Evan is on the wall and has been from some time, regardless of my considerable respect for his work ethic and accomplishments.
  8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The narrative of the last few years has been:

1. He announces he's competing.
    2. He gets injured.
    3. He withdraws
    4. USFS says they'll do everything possible to accommodate him.
    5. A lot of people predict he's done for good.

Rinse and repeat.

Like a stopped clock, one of these times, #5 will be right.
    bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  9. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Except for the year he (or his management co) allegedly wanted $$$ just to show up at a competition. That season he wasn't injured- just having "contractual disputes"
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  10. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

It's karma at work that some people getting so ruffled up in this thread about Evan criticism are the same ones who have been bashing certain female Olympic champions any chance they get for over 10 years now. :lol: I didn't know we weren't able to criticize some Olympic champs. Someone should make a spreadsheet so we know who is off limits.

Back to Evan, if he wants to keep dragging out the inevitable, that's his decision. I do feel bad for him for many reasons.
  11. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

If Lysacek has a prayer of being in Sochi, he HAS to skate at least one International competition prior to US Nats. And seeing as how he has now dropped out of SkAm due once again to injury, he'd better hurry up. So, saving up his program for Nationals is absolutely NOT going to happen, because, right now, he doesn't have the minimum TES scores to be sent to the Olympics, even if he walks in Nats (Which I doubt seriously at this point). And as for Evan HIDING any injury or pain......:rofl: And I do adore Evan...I just wish he'd put the product out there. If he's THIS injured THIS early in the season, perhaps he should re-think his role this year. At least Weir had the balls to just say "I ain't going". I scarcely see how hiding one's programs could be an advantage. In the US, we have Champs Camp..where programs are performed and a critique is given so things that are amiss can be corrected, points can be maximized, etc.)
  12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I doubt he has to skate any international events to impress the US judges, if he's skating well. USFS is planning to accommodate him. Were he to show up for Nationals and place Top 2, I suspect they'd figure out a way to send him one of the two before the 27 January deadline for the Olympics.