Frank Carroll concerned: crunch time for Evan

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Yazmeen, Sep 17, 2013.

1. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

When Plushenko came back, he and Mishin entirely restructured his training regime to account for his body and the injuries. He changes up the way he trains to accommodate whatever he's recovering for at the time.

Lysacek doesn't seem to do this. He seems to think he can train now the way he did when he was 20. Only, his body can't cope anymore. He was not likely to make the Olympic team anyway.

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It is always hard to relinquish a dream.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  3. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

delete

4. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I think one of the early posters in this thread hit the mark in wondering if perhaps Evan has not really found yet what he wants to do after skating.

5. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Michelle had been competing all along.While she didn't do the GP series, save for 02 Skate America, she did compete at Nats and Wolds in 03, 04, 05....winning 3 more Nat titles, winning Worlds and medaling and finishing just off the podium in 05. Not the same at all.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I have no idea how he'll do if he decides to go into academics again; but if he hasn't kept studying all this time- he may find it very difficult. Returning students are often shocked at what they have forgotten, even those with 4.0s and AP classes while they were in high school.

Transition is so hard, and I do agree with the person who says it is hard to give up a dream.

7. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Jerry Hall is in Melbourne doing press calls for a show she is in at the moment.

Maybe Evan and Vera Wang can do a national tour of THE GRADUATE together. :D

8. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I said what he is doing now, preparing for another Olympics while injured, was parallel to what Michelle did. Michelle withdrew from all of her 3 planned competitions in 2005
    and did not compete at the nationals prior to the Olympics in 2006. True Evan hasn't competed for a much longer period, but not competing the year before an Olympics is not exactly helpful either (even though it wasn't her fault ), especially considering her limited experience under the new judging system.

9. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

That is precisely why I believe that Ms. Kwan would be a good source of advice for Evan. She knows, from experience, how risky it is to prepare for an Olys while injured, and the long term consequences of such injury.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  10. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

OT: regards injuries, now I know why Rachael Flatt has said she will *not* get surgery on her bulging discs until her competitive career is truly over (just like Michelle Kwan didn't get her hip surgery until after the 2006 Olympics). Smart. Because I heard one's body is never the same, thus some athletes choose to delay surgery until after their competitive career is truly over. I suppose it depends on the athlete and the nature of the injury. Either way, I take my hat off to them all! :)

11. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Yes. People did. Whether you think it was "many" depends on your definition of that word, but people were saying she had her chance and should move on as early as 2003.

It's not remotely parallel. Kwan continued to compete from 2003 to 2006. She had a much lighter schedule than other athletes as she tended to skip the Grand Prix but she was at every Nationals and Worlds and she did other things. She was around and competing and training. She wasn't "coming back" during any of that time because she hadn't gone away. It wasn't until 2006 that she had to withdraw from everything and get medical byes. Evan hasn't competed in ages, not seriously, and is attempting to come back which is a completely different animal than continuing to compete while managing injuries.

12. kwanette

No, your post focused on education for the most part. And I stand by my post. MK HAD competed at Nats and Worlds between the two OLY cycles. As far as dropping out of competitions in 05, no one expected her to come to SA in Atlantic City in 05..she hadn't done the GP in 03 or 04 either.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  13. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Wasn't 2012 Europeans Sheffield, which Pluschenko won - Kevin VDP withdrew after the SP but Evgeni won the competition.

14. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Plush withdrew after the SP this year (2013) in Zagreb.

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I apologize -- "2012" was a typo. I meant to type "2013."

16. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Wow I didn't even remember Plush withdrawing in 2013!

17. kwanette

How did I miss that line? Post of the day!

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Because it hasn't been blindingly obvious for years now that Lysacek is not going to compete in Sochi. :p

19. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Evan just locked in the "Team Citibank" sponsorship, which is actually notable for what seems a selection criteria based more on having already accomplished prior Olympic achievements over hopefuls. Still, it makes me wonder how the contract was penned. For instance, if he competes and does poorly or does not make the team, what kind of marketing plans do they have in store for him? I would bet he would still be in decent position to "represent" for the sponsor as a prior Olympic Gold medalist. But still...

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

21. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Relevant excerpt from the article:

23. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

:drama: Hopefully they'll just call Jason Brown after Nebelhorn and ask him to be on stand-by. It doesn't sound too promising for Evan.

24. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    That sounds like a wise idea!

25. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ I'd love to see Jason at his first Skate America!

Best wishes to Evan in healing and in dealing with the physical frustrations of a brave eager athletic heart in an older body.

26. savedbyscreetch

savedbyscreetch New Member

Translation - Evan will skip the GP events and claim an injury at nationals should he struggle in the short. Then try and petition his way onto the team just like Kwan did for the sake of dollar-dollar bills.

27. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Except Evan will still need an international event to qualify for the Olympics

28. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Yea because a skater winning Nationals the year before and placing 4th at Worlds is the same as someone who hasn't competed in 4 years.

29. kwanette

What did you say your favorite cookie is? :kickass:

30. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

TSL seemed to indicate that they already have called Jason...