Frank Carroll concerned: crunch time for Evan

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Yazmeen, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

2. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

3. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Evan's body is telling him it's time to give up competing. Even though he hasn't competed since the Olympics he always seems to be hurt. His overtraining is probably the reason and since he's not 20 anymore he probably should have held back a bit.

4. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

What will a Nationals be without all the Evan's ELFs and Johnny's Angels in the stands, warring pieces of flair, banner-knitting duels, hissy fits at each other, and all? :drama: :argue: :lynch:

Moto Guzzi and (deleted member) like this.
  5. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

IMO, Evan needs to have a long talk with someone like Michelle Kwan on building a new life. I can understand why he wants to stay competitive ... no pro circuit anymore, and (probably) not having found a new career that really interests him, but if he doesn't give it up, he may really hurt himself badly.

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I hope for his own sake he move onto the next phase of his life, and I would say that even if I was a huge fan (probably even moreso if I were a huge fan, which admitedly I am not). The same goes for Plushenko for that matter. Both are trying to ruin their bodies to the point it will impact their future lives if they arent careful and for what. There isnt even a possible tangible reward in the end for either (well for Plushenko maybe competing on home ice is enough of a carrot).

7. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

^This!

8. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

May be it's better for Evan to find out at the US nationals what shape he really is in. The USFSA is not going to select him just because he is the reigning OGMlist.

For Plushenko it's a different situation. He can find out early on how his body is doing. Competing in his home country that has never hosted winter Olympics must mean a lot to him. He does not have as much competition as Evan has at his nationals (although all of us could be in for a surprise at the RN). I fully understand him wanting to compete if his body can hold up. Unlike Evan, he has competed after the 2010 Olympics and he has looked good. I don't recall seeing Evan competing at all since the 2010 Olys.

9. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

But I wanna see Curry Lysacek. :wuzrobbed

;)

10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I wonder if the USFS does anything to help their skaters transition. It has to be tough.

11. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Oh, I think Evan has quite a future. Even if he only tours with SOI for their 6 dates a year :)() he looks so great on camera, any hosting or commentating gig would probably be open for him. I would love to see a Vegas-type show starring Evan. He has great star power. Michelle seemed to have other interests outside skating. There's no reason why Evan has to "move on" from the skating world entirely if he is not doing elite competitive skating.

You would think so. Even Cirque du Soleil has a department that helps their artists transition out of the circus.

12. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

:rofl:

13. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I agree but for slightly different reasons. It took Michelle's body completely breaking down before she built a new life outside skating. If anyone knows what Evan is going through right now, I suspect it's her.

14. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Also, unlike Evan, Plushenko seems to be healing from his surgeries, rather than suffering new or re-injuries. He also is currently landing quad toes and 3 axels in practices. So, yes, I'd agree he is well ahead of Evan in the comeback sweeps. (Actually, so even is Weir, who is also landing 3 axels in practices.)

Of these three, I think Lysacek is also the only one who still needs to post an Olympic qualifying score.

That's not actually true. She started college the year after Nagano and was both training and preparing for life after skating during the last several years of her eligible career. In addition to working on her degree, she also served as a good will representative for the US and was developing State Department contacts with an eye to her long term career goals.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  15. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Evan still has more chances to qualify for the Olympics than Weir. I would give Lysacek 3% and Weir 0% even if Weir is much more likely to be at Nationals and skate well than Evan. I expect Evan to probably announce he is ending his comeback in a couple weeks, but even that said I give him more chance of the Olympic team than Weir only since I couldnt imagine the U.S judges and USFSA putting Weir on the team no matter what he does at Nationals.

16. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I think if only one of the two shows up at nationals, that person has a better chance. Your chance is always better if you compete.. I mean, a rip roaring stomach bug could take out the whole field except Johnny and William Brewster, and doesn't whichever won have to go? (Or is that just the World team and the Olympic team is whomever the US wants?)

Although, now that I think about it, an epic food illness likely favors Joshua Farris- doesn't he normally bring all his own food due to allergies?

*And I don't think Johnny is going to nationals. Though I applaud him for showing up at Finlandia last year.

17. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

I know Evan probably wont be at Nationals to begin with and as I said I am predicting him to announce his comeback is over in a few weeks time or sometime before Nationals, but lets say you have 20% chance to be at Nationals and 20% to make the team, that is still about 4%. Those are about how I would sum up Evan right now. Weir's chances even if we assume 100% he will be at Nationals, which I wouldnt, are still less than 4% probably.

Weir has a much better shot to actually follow through on his comeback and not make a fool of himself than Evan, but he still has the smaller of two tiny odds to make the team.

18. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Evan won't make any team if he doesn't compete internationally before the end of January and earn the minimum score.

19. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Weir had 0% chance of making the Olympic team since he will not be eligible to compete at Nationals. (He did not register by the September 1st deadline)

20. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I'm not.

21. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

From her Wikipedia page:

After graduation from Rim of the World High School in 1998, Kwan attended UCLA for one year. In the fall of 2006, she transferred to the University of Denver.[12]

Like I said, it took her body breaking down for her to start building a new life. Nothing wrong with that at all though. Like I said, Evan could learn a lot from her in a good way.

22. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Where did you hear this?

23. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

AP and ESPN Olympic tweeted today that Weir did not register with USFSA by the deadline.

24. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

25. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

26. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Maybe he didn't register because he knew he had 0% chance of making the Olympic team.....

27. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Thanks for that news. So his chances are merely the same as I already thought they were, but it is just confirmed officialy now. :lol:

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Plushenko only has the SP score from 2012 Euros; he withdraw after the SP. He still needs a FS score. Weir had both Olympics/4C's qualifying scores from 2012 Finlandia, but as reported earlier today, didn't sign up for Regionals. Lysacek needs both scores before the Olympic entry deadline of 27 January 2014.

There are two international events for Senior Men between US Nats and the Olympic entry deadline.

29. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

These type of cases are for us are what the likes of Miley Cyrus are for Pop cloture crowd,

We can see through it, We realise it's the oldest trick in the book,
    yet the amount of text we spill here about this is .....

Well, You get the idea

30. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Michelle was going on 27 when she started college seriously. Did many say she needed to move on to the next phase of her life when she was preparing for a third Olympics? Most I think wanted her to compete in one more Olympics. Evan is 28 now. Evan still has time for college if he wants that. He was outstanding academically in high school so he should have no problem with that if that is the direction he wants to go. Which is to say, I don't think Ms Kwan is the person to advise Evan. What he is doing is parallel to what she did in preparing for a third Olympics while injured.