Found "Interesting" 2011 Nats thread on Google....

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by WhatsUpDoc, Feb 3, 2011.

1. WhatsUpDoc

WhatsUpDoc New Member

2. inflameduntamed

inflameduntamed New Member

I have read some other skating threads on that website. They're always "interesting." :lol:

3. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

LOL

Alright, I am seriously enjoying this commentary.

That's a good one.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Datalounge is notorious. I used to read the WNBA threads there. :lol:

5. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I can't believe they called Rockne an ugly motherfcuker, wasn't he one of our candidates for PSOTY? :rofl:

6. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

I think it's a lot like some of the more "interesting" skating boards of old. :hat1:

7. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

"Yankowskas and Coughlin just put down a strong short program and edged out Evora and Ladwig for the lead so far. Rockne has not skated yet. He & his partner are skating to music from "Elizabeth." They are in purple velvet Elizabethan era costumes and his tunic unfortunately covers his primary assets."

"Alissa Czisny is the fan favorite. Ryan Bradley is apparently a really nice guy who gets along with everyone off the ice, sort of like the extreme opposite of Canada's Patrick Chan."

:rofl: ahahahaha

8. SkateSkates

SkateSkates Member

Hahahahaha best thing I've read today... everyone is so blunt and politically incorrect - it's refreshing!

9. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

Oh wow, the one at 01/28/2011 @ 01:34AM

10. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

FSU apparently bans gay posters. :rofl:

11. zippy

zippy Active Member

I like how they were like, nobody thinks Rockne is hot except for women! :lol:

12. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I know, that was beyond :rofl:

13. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

We're here! :mitchell: We're queer! :mitchell: We are unimpressed by transitionless programs! :mitchell:

skateycat and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

My favourite quote so far is (Evan "Tiny Meat" Lysacek) :lol:

15. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

K when I read the

I seriously laughed out loud. I don't know if it's because I know Keegan or because he is leaning on the athlete side (versus the artistic side... Evan and Johnny are good examples of this).. I just laughed.

Bahahha I love these people.

16. WhatsUpDoc

WhatsUpDoc New Member

I am pleasantly surprised at the positive vibe and the good nature of the responses here. 2 years ago, things were very different. I guess we can call this the Post-Weir era.

17. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

OMG thank you so much, this is highly entertaining!

My favorite so far:

:lol:

I also love the comment about staying away from FSU because they ban gay people. Seriously? Talk about not having a clue.

18. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I love how they're saying figure skating is becoming so dominated by Asians that it'll end up like Sumo competitions and the ISU already gave up on North America and Europe.

ETA: I just got to the part where they said Rachael Flatt looked like Vivian Vance.

19. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

Is there any truth to this post from there?

"[R62] you really need to look north to Canada if you want to see that type thing - extreme version.

Skate Canada started a campaign, in 2008, to flush out all gay skaters from competition for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. Called "Tough", it was introduced at the Skate Canada meeting in September 2008. Canada's 2 top male skaters (then World Gold Medalist Jeff Buttle and Canadian Silver Medalist Chris Mabee) "retired" within 10 days of the meeting. So you can imagine what was said behind closed doors.

For the first time in 40 years, the entire Skate Canada team sent to Vancouver, was 100 percent heterosexual male - all talking (bragging) about their heterosexuality in public.

ABC World News exposed it, April 30th, 2009 but Skate Canada basically ignored the ABC story. The Canadian gay media was under extreme pressure from the Prime Ministers office and the IOC, to stay away from the Olympics and publicly said nothing about it.

For their silence, EGALE Canada was sold a crock of lemons about a Gay House. Later, the IOC never officially acknowledged Gay House. Gay House became nothing more than an office front in the city, during the Olympics, that gays visiting for the Olympics were encouraged to drop by. Very few showed up, as it never got any official association with, or promotion by, the IOC. The Canadian Gay community got sucker punched.

Figure Skating is one of the rare areas where the USA is far ahead of Canada on the fair treatment of Gays. One day, somebody is going to write a book about this dark era in Canada's LGBT history or include what actually happened, in an autobiography."

20. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

If that's true, that's horrible and disgusting.

And just so pointless, I mean, rooting all the gays out of the ranks of Olympic skaters won't make the sport any more accepted.

Joe six pack perceives skating as "gay" because there are costumes and because a significant part of the sport involves (allegedly) artistic interpretation of music and "themes." Gay people in skating are not required for non-skating fans to conclude that skating is "gay."

21. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I'm seriously laughing at reply 239 and 240 lol :lol:

22. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I guess the team was more macho than the 2006 trio of Sandhu/Buttle/Sawyer, but I don't remember any of the Canadian male skaters in Vancouver bragging about their heterosexuality. Chan was bragging about lots of other things, but nothing like that. Even with the pairs and dance, I remember an acknowledgment that Langlois/Hay were dating and that Moir had a girlfriend (but that was more about addressing the speculation that he was with Virtue), but nothing like what they describe.

I thought that type of stuff was more pronounced in the coverage of the US skaters, but maybe that's because I'm in the US and saw more of the Access Hollywood type fluff covering American skaters. But as a non-Canadian, I didn't see that coming out of Skate Canada at all. I do remember Elvis making a lot of comments about sequins and things, but, well, it's Elvis.

If that is really one of the reasons Buttle retired then :eek::eek: how incredibly stooooopid of them, because he would've been a bigtime contender for gold. And good for him if he stood up for himself. That whole story is sickening, if true.

23. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Is LC posting at Datalounge, because that comment about banning gay posters sounds like something that would come from him. :sekret:

24. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

They called Adam a "twink". I assume that's not a good thing.

25. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

If this person doesn't even know that it was called "Pride House" and not "Gay House" then then the rest of what they have to say is pretty questionable. Yes, the IOC did not officially acknowledge it, but on the other hand Mark Tewksbury (Olympic swimming gold medalist and former IOC athlete rep) promoted Pride House and was still allowed to participate in the official Olympic events. So it wasn't like the IOC was blacklisting anyone involved with it. And I heard that although no Olympic athletes showed up, it was still a popular place to hang out.

26. shah

shah Shhh...

I've read the whole thread (plus "Homophobia in figure skating") and I'm really amused :). Even though I feel for some of the skaters mentioned there (poor Rachael!).
    The comment on banning gay members on FSU did crack me up :D. The same with a comment on Sasha Cohen that she's a "female Boitano"...

27. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

"For the Gala I recommend Johnny Weir VS Evan Lysacek in mud wrestling. Come on, it would put ratings through the roof!"

:lol:

28. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Uhhhh, not that I know everything about FSU history, or why DL feels as they do ... but maybe their feeling has something to do with all the smugness and snarking directed toward Johnny Weir here. Yes, I know FSU has a lot of equal opportunity snarking that goes on, but ... the above comments seem a bit like protesting too much. Is it really just all about not liking "transitionless programs." Based on some of the threads and comments I've seen here, I don't think so. Of course, there's no "banning of gay posters" here, but there sure is a lot of dislike directed toward noncomformist flamboyant diva-types who don't live up to everyone's exacting expectations.

29. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

To beat the dead horse: flamboyant does not equal gay. Artistic does not equal gay.

A crap program without transitions does not equal straight.

People who didn't like Weir's skating are not automatically homophobes. Don't assume the annoyance with him is over his sexual orietnation. It could be, shockingly!, over what he actually does on the ice. Or, you know, people who don't believe that "just being honest!" is all nice and refreshing, instead of rude and sometimes assholic.

Weir annoyed me for years because of his lack of progress, by his zzz programs, by the fact that he kept doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results (does he know how to count to three?) ... oh and because he played a damn game with the media over his sexual orientation, which pisses me off as someone who's had to deal with both the closet and how terrifying it can be to come out of it: it's not a game, dammit. this shit gets people hurt.

I was a Weir fan. He lost me with what he did on the ice. And he kept me lost with what he did off of it. For the last couple years, it's like he hasn't even wanted to compete, he just wanted to use his career to boost his fashion/off-ice career/whatever. It's all Johnny Weir The Brand. That's nice and all, but that's not why I watch figure skating. I ain't interested in Celebrity For The Sake Of Being A Celebrity.

But, mostly, it's his zzzz programs with music so boring a hyperactive fish woudl fall asleep, the lack of choreography, the lack of transitions, and the way his jumps and everything else just degraded. :wall:

Oh, and AfterElton pissed me off during the Olympics for being all "Weir is so persecuted! Because he's gay! And no one else could possibly be an artist and no we've never heard of Abbott" :wall: :wall: :wall: Also, all the people who decided Weir was gay, not because of any notion that he fit the definition, but because he fit the Fabulous Gay Stereotype. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  30. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

THANK YOU. Just because some of us are not Johnny fans, doesn't make us homophobes. Plenty of other gay male skaters that plenty of other users on this board like. That argument is irrelevant.

I feel this way too.