Former Canadian competitor commits suicide

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by fsfan22, Oct 18, 2011.

1. fsfan22

fsfan22 New Member

2. quebecoise

quebecoise New Member

:( that's really sad
  3. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

:( how sad. May he rest in peace. I don't think I could live with myself if I knew my actions were responsible for the suicide of another. But then, I'm not a bully. There's obviously a degree of humanity missing in a bully.
  4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

My deepest sympathy to Jamie's family and friends.
    It's distressing that these "bullies" have learned nothing about the consequences of their behaviour from other similar tragedies.
  5. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Longer article with quotes from Jamie documenting his struggles

[Jamie's words on the "It Gets Better" movement:]
    :( Heartbreaking. Life, as the poor boy said, isn't Glee. Despite things being better for LBGT kids, it's not what it should be.

We marvel at how many resources gay kids have over what we gay kids of the 70s and 80s had ... the Internet, an abundance of other role models and organizations. But, there is still a mountain of challenges to endure for a young person if he or she comes out. The closet that we "elders" were forced stayed safely tucked into was also a safe place ... usually minimizing (if not eliminating) the taunting and bullying. We were able to gain strength, and then come out later in life. An out kid today is still going to have to be strong enough to endure taunts, whispers, and jokes at a minimum. Bullying and threats, perhaps. That is a tall order for a teenager.

RIP Jamie. :(
  6. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Poor baby. :( R.I.P.
  7. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

What a tragic loss. :( My sympathies to his parents, family and friends.
  8. floskate

floskate Vacant

Such a tragedy. My sympathy to his family and friends. RIP Jamie. :(
  9. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

I'm gathering that the internet and social media have collided to make bullying easier to do and in a more cowardly way -- behind close doors sitting at their computer. That combined with the in-person stuff probably feels like a tidal wave.

I hope there's some shred of good that can come of this via stronger efforts to collaborate to solve this problem.

If I was the parents I'd probably live out my life going around to schools telling a very poignant story. But not everyone can do that; it's very tough to be public about it and regularly relive the heartache of losing a child.
  10. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Shocking and sad. :( RIP Jamie.

It must be so hard for his family and friends! My sympathies to them.
  11. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

12. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

So very sad. RIP, Jamie Hubley.
  13. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

The word "tragic" is overused today. But here it is appropriate. For such a young person to have no hope, to think that suicide is the only solution is tragic.

If each of us in his or her own small and personal way can take on this tragedy by making our local world a little more open or nurturing for anyone who could be treated as "different" or "the other" then Jamie will be remembered in a meaningful and important way.
  14. Pikachuusb

Pikachuusb New Member

Soon sad :( may he rest in peace
  15. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I read this very sad story and thought about some of the high-school-age male figure skaters I know, who often get tormented at school with homophobic slurs just because they are skaters (when most of them are straight). And some have dropped out of the sport, as much as they loved it, because they got tired of dealing with the abuse from their peers.

I can only imagine that the abuse would be that much more relentless for a boy who was out, *and* was involved in figure skating, *and* loved dance and music. I really feel for this poor child.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  16. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

This makes me incredibly sad but also very angry. When will society truly change and accept all children, regardless of their sexuality?

As someone who works with children, it shocks me how often I hear negative stereotyping from even very young kids. I have done my best to raise my own children to believe that tolerance and inclusion is the right of every individual but I fear many parents still do not pass these lessons along. I hope some of these parents read stories like Jamie's and realize the harm that comes from the beliefs they are passing down.
  17. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

This is really sad.. I knew he died but I didn't know he was a competitive figure skater.
  18. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

There are no words. :(
  19. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

How terrible, I feel awful for his family.

RIP
  20. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

That's horrible. Poor baby. :( I hope his family is coping well. If he named any of his tormentors, I dearly hope they are punished. There have been too many stories like this lately.
  21. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

RIP. Why some teenagers are so mean? There should be some kind of law or bylaw to deal with bullies.
    numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. aaron

aaron New Member

Seems like he had been such a talented kid. No words... RIP
  23. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

Heartbreaking. Just heartbreaking.
  24. AragornElessar

AragornElessar New Member

I heard this sad news yesterday, but the news item I saw didn't mention that Jamie had been a former skater. Beyond sad and there is just no words when this happens.

While not gay, I went through Hell during my School years due my various health issues and then finding out about the eye disease I have at 12 years old. What I and Jamie and every other kid who ends up w/a target on their back goes or went through in School is *not* bullying, but abuse. Until the terminology changes and we face what is actually going on in our schools, I sadly think nothing will ever change.

I still hear people today tell kids, "Well, I went through it in School, it's part of going through School and will only make you tougher in the end."

How many more kids do we have to lose before this changes?

My sympathies and condolences to Jamie's Family and Friends. May he now be at peace. :(
    Rottie and (deleted member) like this.
  25. maggylyn

maggylyn New Member

So sad for Jamie and his family.
    RIP
  26. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

The plus is that now there are more resources (and role models), but the online bullying means that not only your one high school can pick on you, but people from limitless high schools. Plus in my day, usually the bullying started and then stopped. Now the bullying remains in print online forever... :(
  27. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

From a Toronto Star article:

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1072227

I don't know what to say to that. This was only a few years ago. He was 15 and already out. So courageous.
  28. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

How awful. :eek: No one should be subjected to such bullying.

My condolences to the family, and may he RIP.
  29. skatesindreams

The people who did that to him should have been charged with attempted murder.
  30. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Well-Known Member

This is beyond sad and heartbreaking.

RIP Jamie! :(
  31. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

This is just so sad :(
    RIP Jamie. My thoughts go out to his family.
  32. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Tragic and so sad. :( :( :( :(
  33. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

This is a local story for me. They just had an absolutely heartbreaking interview with his father (a local politician) on the radio. So sad. RIP Jamie.:(
  34. skatesindreams

cynus, will the station put it online/make it available for "non-locals? (I'm in the US.)
    I'd like to hear what Jamie's father said.
  35. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

It was the local CBC station, so it might go in the archives on the CBC site- I'll check later if you like- it was a short interview. If you want to search yourself it was the noontime "Ontario Today" show. Right now there's a phone-in on growing up gay. http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/daily/today/cbc_radio_one

If a link for the interview itself comes up in the next day or two, I'll put it up.
  36. skatesindreams

37. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

How sad. We might say that technology has improved our lives and while it has, there are some ways that it has harmed us. Social media and blogs take bullying to a whole new level and it becomes more permanent than the gossip mill that used to exist.

People should accept each other for who they are. I feel for the family and the pain that Jamie felt in this life.
  38. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

All I can say is this is so sad.
  39. MLIS

MLIS Active Member

40. Louise

Louise Banned Member

Or at the VERY least assault. What the hell happened?

This really upsets me, and the old way of "boys will be boys" or whatever and a kid like this just has to be abused to an inch of his life? I could rant on how the American right wing does not want to include 'the gay' in the bullying criteria. But Christ, a kid is dealing with batteries shoved down his throat? I really can't believe it, or don't want to. That is not bullying, it's not saying bitchy things in the lunch line, that is assault and battery. What's with these schools that they will tolerate this kind of behavior?

I didn't see how he suicided. Did he OD? It's hard for a kid to suicide unless he jumps in front of a train.