For those who don't do Christmas ....

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

..... and there are some of us out there that don't.

This time of the year is a chance to have a break from work and regroup for the next one. Our office is closed for two weeks so I get a nice break that I am trying to make the most of.

Anyway if you don't do Christmas what do you do? My plan is get some housework done and then go to the movies later on (but need to check what is on). Also on a sewing frenzy at the moment (well frenzy is probably exaggerating).

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I really regret going over to my parents' for Christmas. Definitely won't do the same mistake again. :p

I guess as you said, just chilling out and taking some "me time" is the best course of action. :)

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I suppose you could say that I'm doing something Christmas-y inasmuch as I am going to dinner at the home of some friends. Until then, I'll be doing some cleaning, going for a good, long walk, and making some celery-root fritters to take to the dinner. I may also pull a novel that I haven't read off my book shelf and dig in for an hour or two.

4. mikey

mikey ...an acquired taste

I get to work...

5. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

Spending time with extended family. We're all off work so we all descend on my parents' house for mom's Portuguese food.

6. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Funny - watching TV and Ice Castles is on - the old version.

7. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Not doing Christmas is pretty much at tradition for me and I enjoy having time along at home, Mr. Japanfan usually works Christmas day. My various attempts to celebrate and see what I was missing - didn't celebrate it as a kid due to being Jewish - have led me conclude that it's all a bunch of adieu about nothing.

Mr. Japanfan works today, tomorrow and Wednesday. We were planning to do a Downton Abbey Marathon, as we have most of the three seasons downloaded on the computer. We use a PC to TV converter to watch them on the TV. But Mr. Japanfan broke one of the connections on the PC to TV computer we use to watch stuff on the computer and I don't know if he managed to find a new cable today. So we may be out of luck.

ETA: Got the part, so we're moving on with the series.

I bought a big bottle of Carolina's and plan to enjoy a few White Russians the next few days, you mix Carolina's, Kalhua, and vodka - it's super smooth and has a real kick.
    Thursday I'll make make a turkey dinner just for the two of us.

Tomorrow, unfortunately, I'm going to visit my friend/neighbour who is in the hospital with pneumonia. It's been a bad six months for her and this will most likely be her last Christmas. She's apparently in very rough shape so I don't know what to expect, other than a sad day.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  8. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Whatever the hell I want to do. ;)

9. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

how is this any different from the rest of the year? ;)

10. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Well, we celebrated Chanukah, so it's not our holiday, but we'll probably watch the Christmas Parade from Disney World. Maybe we'll go to the movies this afternoon. I took out hoagies (aka "subs") for dinner (we love Chinese food, but we'll space it out). I do love looking at the beautiful lights in the area, and enjoy much of the Christmas music (the traditional carols). If there's a holiday concert on PBS, I'll probably tune in).

The local gym is open until 2PM, so I might walk over & work out a bit.

11. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Just doing my part to live my life as if it were Christmas every day. :summer:

12. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

My mom is not well today(her back) or else we would be in Kansas City with my sis. The thing is this has happened before and the day usually includes Chinese food and possibly a movie. I love celebrating Christmas but every once in awhile having a Christmas day that is strictly R & R works for me.

13. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I am going to a pretty traditional family dinner, but in the past I have desperately searched for a fast-food place that was open and then went to see a movie. And one year I went on vacation from around December 20th to January 7th and just spent Christmas Day in my motel and watching as many movies on cable as I could. I think that kind of day is probably more enjoyable than a loud group where you have to fight for your moment to say something! :lol:

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

Yep the same. Just 4 more hrs!! Feel bad for the front store since they never closed. We're open 24 hrs/day, 365 days a year. Lol

15. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

Wow not many stores that are not closed on dec 25.... The subway close to my house is open and I asked them why, they said we have a few large senior homes close by and they need a place to come :) our starbucks is open for like 4 or 5 hours but I think that is all

16. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

LEXI!!! THE FLOWERS!! :D

17. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member