For those taking the Archaeology class or interested in English history

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, May 25, 2013.

1. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

http://antiquity.ac.uk/Ant/087/0519/ant0870519.pdf

This is the first of three articles to be published about the excavation of Richard III. This one just came out today. This is an excellent example of a collaboration of professional, academic and amateur archaeology working together. You will discuss some of these issues in your online class. Now, you'll have additional material to discuss in class.

I'll post additional material that will help you and you can use this thread to ask me questions if they arise in the class and you want additional information.

Enjoy. This is a really good article. :)

2. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to drop out, just too much going on between local church issues, annual church conference, sil and nieces/great nieces coming into the city, and dad's surgery. :(

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Guinevere

Guinevere New Member

There was a special presentation by two of the researchers who dug up Richard III here in Vancouver. The speakers were Turi King, who ran the DNA tests (and a Vancouver girl apparently!) and Jo Appelby, the bone lady who was filmed digging Richard out of the grave. It was so exciting that they were here in Vancouver to give a speech. I signed up as soon as I could. Apparently there are some other discoveries they are not at liberty to discuss until papers have been written or something like that so seems like there is more out there than we know of right now.

4. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I have a question, Ms. rfisher.

What do they mean by the use of the word "robbed"?

5. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

That's Dr. Fisher to you, Missy. :drama:

That means part of the material has been removed. It was very common for people to recycle building materials, particularly worked stone. This was especially true during the many changes of political power in England which impacted religious buildings which is what happened to this particular building. Fortunately, the researchers have good historical records to use for collabration for what they find in the ground.

The osteoarchaeology paper and DNA are in publication. It's really cool that Richard III has two direct female descendents that carry the mitrochondral DNA.

6. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

^ Not sure if it fits in this context, but I've seen "robbed walls" as a term to describe structures that are built using stones, etc. from other (usually ancient) ruined buildings.

ETA: Dr. Fisher types faster. And provides more detail. :D

7. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

:lol: So they did mean it in the literal sense. I was wracking my brain to try to figure out what it could be besides that. :shuffle:

8. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

So, who is actually taking this course? :D

I'm halfway through watching the videos for the first week... I'm liking the professor already :cheer: Her enthusiasm is infectious :lol:

9. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I'm about half way through the videos too- really enjoying this. And I'm such a geek I'm even taking notes- I can't help myself.:eek:

10. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

So who is sticking with this course? I am really enjoying this-learning a ton about all matters archaeological. This week's project was making a tablet and writing your name in ancient Akkadian using cuneiform! Awesome.

11. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I want to do all the projects and whatnot but I don't have time. :drama: Ugh. I'm enjoying the videos though.

12. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

I'm still in the class, but I'm way behind :slinkaway