For Those Marching Band Buffs - OSU 10/6/12

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Ageless, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Ageless

Ageless Member

rjblue and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Thanks for posting this, Ageless!
  3. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Love the running horse!!
  4. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

Amazing time, effort and design.
  5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

That was absolutely amazing. I hate the Marching Band at half time and this was truly incredible.
  6. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I've seen ambitious shows before, but if I had to critique this one I wouldn't be able to come up with much. This was pretty much perfect, from the sheer volume of sound to the lack of mistakes in the drill itself - and holy crap, the drill! Beautifully designed, and superbly executed. Every time I ever saw or performed a follow-the-leader move I hated it, because invariably the shape of the thing changes, but they did such a good job. Plus, I mean, follow-the-leaders on top of follow-the-leaders with spinning circles... it's not just difficult, it can be downright dangerous if someone forgets for half a second what they're supposed to do next.

I started crying when I saw the running horse the first time :lol: It's just so good and the people in the legs had to be practically running across the field, while playing their music, and playing is so well too!

And they didn't just play loudly, they put an admirable amount of musicality in, too, and holy crap, the sousaphones and the trumpets need medals or something. And the stamina!

Way to go, OSU!
    skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  7. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I'd even sit through a football game if I could see a show like that! Thanks for posting it.
  8. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

This is as flawless an example of a "Big Ten" style marching show as any I've ever seen. I marched for Northwestern in the late '70's, and this reminds me of the kinds of things we used to do, but even better.

Ohio State is an all-brass band, which accounts for the sound. They still largely use a high-knee-lift step, which is harder on the lip and requires a lot of stamina. The animated horse formation is something like we used to do, except ours would likely have been a stick figure. This looked a lot more impressive. The folks in the legs are hauling, but not really as much as you might think - the step length is really just a little over the standard 8-to-5. The tempo is pretty fast, though.

The whole thing is a masterpiece of concept and charting. Kudos to you, Ohio State band, and to whoever wrote this show. It's genius.
  9. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Seriously, this was awesome! I love marching bands (the historically black colleges and universities put on some spectacular shows) but the whole concept of this was so creative!

Is it sad that I can hum the whole music theme from Super Mario Bros.?
  10. Ageless

Ageless Member

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Stunning...again!
  12. michiruwater

College bands actually have multiple shows a year. That is just one of them. They did a Michael Jackson show a few weeks earlier that was also pretty stellar!
  13. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Cool. They must do some computer generated stuff to make it work.
  14. michiruwater

You mean to write the drill? Yeah, there are programs for it now.
  15. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Ugh, I would have loved to march a show like this.
  16. Ageless

Ageless Member

17. Ageless

Ageless Member

18. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

Two of those trumpets were in my son's high school marching band; one of them is great, but the other one is one of the most talented musicians I've ever seen. When he was in high school, he had his own little brass group--he wrote a lot of their music and did all of their arrangements. He was offered a slew of music scholarships, but went to OSU just to be in the band.

Yeah, and don't they love to tell you all about how hard it is, too :p. I think my kids' high school band sends at least one kid to the OSU band every year and every summer they come back to tell all the high schoolers how easy they have it and how much they will suffer if they are lucky enough and talented enough to play for The Best Damn Band in the Land.

Their secret weapon is iPads: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/30/osu-marching-band-ipad-ohio-state_n_4177783.html
  19. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

O - H - I - O !!!!