For the US: What is your state doing for the budget shortfall?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jlai, Feb 3, 2011.

1. jlai

jlai Title-less

Just tossing the question out there for comparison purpose. :)

My state suggested closing some small government agencies.
  2. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Sorry, can't help you. My state actually has a surplus :)

Yeah, I know the article was written in 2009. But not much has changed since then & we're still rolling in dough.
  3. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

The Massachusetts governor has proposed a spending freeze for all agencies except education.

So far this year, tax revenues are slightly better than expected, so the impact may not be as bad as in other states. Bonus is our "rainy day" fund, although I think a good chunk of it will go towards this year's snow removal costs.
  4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Louisiana has drastically cut higher education.
  5. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

North Carolina, for the first time in 87 years, elected an all Republican state house and senate (with a democratic gov.). Of course, not sure if it'll make a difference. They've just started their session and so far no real solutions have been put forth.
  6. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Congrats, Nerdycool. I think Wyoming (not my state, but close) is similar.

Colorado is cutting higher ed (yet again), and will probably make some changes to K-12 structural funding, and possibly adjust prison sentences. There isn't much else to do on the cut side -- Medicaid, K-12 schools, and prisons take up the vast majority of the budget. They have increased the tax rates employees and employers pay into the state retirement system, though it still isn't close to being fully funded. They've also cut back on some of the tax credits, particularly those for dubious purposes (you could buy a $100,000 Tesla all-electric sports car and Colorado would let you take a tax credit of $42,000. I'm not making this up. :rolleyes:)
  7. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

My state, Arkansas, also ended FY2010 in the black. We are not rolling in dough, however, but we do have a conservative Democrat governor, Mike Beebe, who has good sense and the ability to work with the legislature.
  8. sailornyanko

sailornyanko New Member

According to one site the State of Mexico had a huge budget for last year which was 1,340,580,000 pesos which is over 100 million dollars. Been spending like crazy improving roads and healthcare building hospitals everywhere. It's the state with the largest budget because it's the most populated in the country.

They even had a huge project creating a sort of dam after a landslide in a forest last year killed over 30 people in a federal highway February 2010. They really did a great job fixing that mess.

Tax revenue has improved about 7% in comparison to 2009 and there's rumors they are going to cancel or at least reduce the home owner tax and might reduce the car ownership tax as well. I think there's two new major hospitals that are going to open this year in the State. We're doing pretty well I guess!
  9. Morry Stillwell

Morry Stillwell Well-Known Member

California - business as usual. TAX TAX TAX:mad:
  10. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Hawai'i is running a huge deficit and is trying to compensate by increasing taxes on alcohol, soda, vehicles, and pensioners earning more than 37K, but not the general excise tax. I'm for the first three taxes because it's not like the first two are needed, and we have too many vehicles anyway.
  11. mikey

mikey ...an acquired taste

12. jlai

jlai Title-less

I think the House budget recommended closing 4 junior colleges while the Senate recommended keeping them.

Anyway, there was a big Texas Monthly article on the budget shortfall a few months ago, and the author mentions how many agencies need to go away in order to balance the budget. Politically I don't see that happening. Some articles also talk about dipping into the rainy day fund--problem is that that fund won't plug the budget hole.
  13. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth. Thank goodness UNO is only suffering about 9-10% of a cut, but man times are scary.
  14. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Bah! Education is for them-thar yankees. We don't need no education! Or mental hospitals either, a lot of those in Louisiana are closing, which contributes to our already absurdly high homeless population. What's most depressing is the state shut down the *only* mental health hospital for teens in the southern part of the state, and many of the kiddies in that hospital were from homeless/itenerant families. Even more than education, health care has really taken a beating in Louisiana.
  15. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

Nebraska's governor wants to cut funds for education. Sigh.
  16. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Sigh. Cutting education does seem to be a classic. In another ten years, lawmakers will be scratching their heads wondering why all of a sudden we need to build more prisons.
  17. Ageless

Ageless Member

Illinois is cutting services and raising taxes and we still are way in the red. On top of that they'll be spending millions on another trial trying to convict our former governor!
  18. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

I think they are cutting local aid by quite a bit, aren't they?
  19. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Our new governor (Florida) is unveiling his proposals tomorrow. We have a deficit of about 3.5 billion. Heaven help us. :(
  20. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

CA is thinking of releasing more prisoners ... under our version of "3 strikes", there are a lot doing life for nonviolent minor crimes, due to their prior records. Also, cutting everything they can (education, esp. higher ed; health care, etc.).
  21. mikey

mikey ...an acquired taste

Gov. Perry will be slow to eliminate ANY jobs, and I can guarantee it is because he is planning a Presidential bid and doesn't want to lose voters. He is trying to cut Texas Medicaid reimbursement drastically. Currently, Texas Medicaid reimburses about 17 cents per dollar billed, and they want to cut it back to about 11 cents. Where I work, the payor mix is just over 80% Medicaid, which means that revenue will fall by about a third. Hospitals will not survive.
  22. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

And pass ridiculous anti-immigration laws that will cost millions to defend in court.

Don't forget that part. :rolleyes:
  23. heo-wikki

heo-wikki New Member

Don't need no drug rehab either or homes for the mentally challenged. Both have been closed in North LA. It is highly likely that the College of Visual and Performing Arts at ULM will be drastically cut aka become non existent.

I'm a state employee (please don't stone me), we are being asked to provide more services with less staff and less money.
  24. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

We're being asked to do more with less in state agencies. I haven't had even a cost of living pay increase in over 5 years, and now they want to take money out of my pocket to pay into my pension. Which is the main reason I started with the state - it's actually fully funded and employees don't pay into it.
  25. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

Yeah. Too bad he was elected in a landslide and thinks he has a mandate. I was not part of the landslide.
  26. Orable

Orable New Member

Massive tax increase in IL. But we're still screwed :)
  27. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

You're not from NY State, are you? Because that's been a major issue in Albany, the public employee unions not wanting to give in and make concessions in order to help lighten the load for their fellow taxpayers. They're talking property tax caps in Albany, and I am all for it, and the NYS United Teachers union, for one, is of course squawking about it. Never mind the fact that NYS is #2 in the nation in school spending but only #34 in results.

All I can say is, welcome to the world of the Private Sector. I haven't had a COLA in 3 years, but at least I still have a job (I actually have two jobs) that I work very hard at (because in the PS we don't have bullshit like "seniority" that prevents the bad apples from being thrown out of the barrel), and am quite willing to cut expenses to keep a roof over my head and a vehicle in my apartment's parking spot, rather than expect my neighbors, friends and family to pay for my lifestyle through the skyhigh taxes we all pay here in NY.
    snowbird and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

No, I'm not in New York State. One of the reasons that I make less than someone in the private sector, not that my job is done by the private sector, is that I have a pension plan. That was part of the deal when I was hired - do a high stress, thankless job where people regularly threaten to kill me (no I don't have a badge or a gun), and in return I have a pension plan. I took a $10K pay cut when I took my job (coming from the private sector in a different field) partially with the thought that my pension plan would make up for it.

And the bad apples can be let go in my state. They just have to do it in the proper way - document problems, etc. My husband is private sector and he can't fire two people who simply can't do the job because HR won't let him, despite following the writing up policies.

If we had a state income tax, I'd bet that most of our issues would be fixed, but that is the "sacred cow" of politics here. Add that to falling property values, and we're screwed tax wise. I'd love for those who don't currently pay taxes to the State, besides sales tax, to have to pay something.

But perhaps this is best discussed in PI.
  29. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Consider yourself lucky there. State workers have had a target on their backs ever since the recession started. And Gov. Cuomo is making it clear that he will not be swayed by "special interests" (aka the public employee unions) when it comes to the upcoming budget.

Yeah, I'm kind of puzzled why this thread isn't in PI.
  30. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I'm puzzled as to why folk think just because a thread isn't about TV shows, music or movies they think it should be in PI.