For Evan Lysacek, countdown to Sochi Games is on

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Tweeted by @LynnRutherford:

Champs Camp: Evan Lysacek is skating both his short program and free skate for officials today.

"Champs Camp: Inspired by the clean lines & elegance of John Curry Evan Lysacek has selected Don Quixote for his FS" http://twitpic.com/d9lsuk

Tweeted by USFS:

Evan Lysacek and Frank Carroll hit the Mixed Zone. http://pic.twitter.com/Pu7MpeLZEw

Lysacek "feels good" and appreciative to be able to be on the ice every day.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

3. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

I would totally agree with Evan that this performance, and program, by John Curry is a worthy inspiration. Look at the stillness of Curry's shoulders throughout and the gorgeous control he has over his arms (lots of ballet time there). It's amazingly beautiful and difficult - if Evan is planning on more of this, good for him. Controlled arms - I vote for it!

4. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

So no Spider Monkey program this year??? :shuffle: And to think I just finished sewing the tail onto the costume! :mad:

:wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed

5. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

6. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Excerpt from the article linked above:

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

The realist in me says they are just setting things up for when he begins his withdrawals, leading all the way up to his withdrawal from Nationals.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  9. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

:rolleyes:

Oh, Evan. He doesn't even hold a tea candle to Curry. And no one has even come close to his standard of Don Quixote.

I think his window has passed. He went all out at the right time, clearly, but I think it's time he hung up his gloves. As much as everyone takes him so seriously, we do have to remember that for the past 3 seasons Lysacek withdrew on and off between events, and yes he may have been injured, but I think there's a point where he needs to stop. I just think it's so unfair to so many people. He will never be at the same level he was in 2010, and it would be nice if he took a step back and let younger, less accomplished skaters a chance at international experience, and even perhaps an Olympic one.

10. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Please explain what is "so unfair to so many people" about Evan competing this season? I have never understood the logic of stepping back when figure skating, like all other SPORTS, is about competition. In what other sport do competitors take a step back so that other athletes can have their turn? Really. This is the most ridiculous of all arguments I have heard. Let Evan try. Let Rachael Flatt try. Let all competitors young and old try. That's what competition is about. Let the best skater win.

O-

alilou, skipaway, Dr.Siouxs and 5 others like this.
  11. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I agree with Olivia. I cannot see why the 'older' competitors should not compete if they feel that they are competitive, healthy and motivated enough to do so. Evan and Rachael are not the only ones who is returning to competition, afterall (so is Plushenko). I think, the 'more the merrier' because it can only make the competition more exciting and competitive.

12. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

the cat is up on the roof!

13. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

New Evan article in USAToday, and of course, our very own caseyedwards got in the first nasty comment about him "pimping his injuries." Go, casey, go, I was almost worried that you had given up on your Evan bashing!!!

Edited to remove link, didn't realize the USAToday story was already posted.

14. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I completely agree with this sentiment. But with USFS, there is so much 'benefit of the doubt' and 'reputation judging' handed out, that is why it is unfair. If the only thing that is scored is what happens on the ice, then I agree- let everyone come; but I find it unfair to younger skaters who are skating better but don't have the name to back them up. However, I have hopes that this is happening less. I mean- Aaron won nationals having not even been on the Grand Prix. And Sasha didn't make the Olympic team. If the competition is fair, then Lysacek isn't taking anyone's spot by being there (especially since he doesn't need to go to regionals/sectionals; he literally is in no one's spot but his own.)

I have never been a great fan of his, but I wish him well. I would be surprised if he actually goes to nationals though. But I think him being there just means the other skaters will need to give their absolute best.

15. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

If Evan skates better than the others at US nationals, yeah him. He's not taking anything from anybody. I don't think the USFSA has held up any skaters recently. Did Abbott make the Worlds team last year? Uh, no. He who skates best will win. This nonsense that older skaters should think about the younger ones is just that nonsense. There is a financial incentive to being the OGM winner and every skater has the right to make a run at it. The notion that the Olympics are just athletes competing for fun may be true in some events, although I doubt it because there are potential endorsements in all of them. Skating most certainly isn't just for the fun of it. Michelle Kwan was the rare skater who managed to do very well financially without an OGM. Most don't. So, go Evan. If you can do it, more power to you. I couldn't care less which of the men make the team. It comes down to who skates best in those two skates at US Nationals. So, get on with yourself Evan and all your undaunted courage. Have at it.

16. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I think Frank is just getting ready to give his "no one works harder than you or trains as well" speech

17. Willowway

When the excuses are so clearly set up this early in the season you know it's probably not going anywhere good.

18. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Gracie Gold should study those controlled arms.

19. Willowway

How right Giselle - actually I can't think of any young skater who wouldn't benefit from a look at this program.

20. my little pony

since flailing arms are rewarded as if they make the footwork better, i can see how a young skater would study something with level 4 flail instead

21. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I think they are just throwing the other competitors off.

22. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I wonder if this ends up being a Sasha Cohen type comeback, where getting to Nationals and giving a decent performance there is an achievement in itself. It just doesn't sound like Lysacek can be competitive internationally, at least not to the degree he'd want. It's nice that he's experienced, but he's hardly the only experienced skater in the men's field.

I agree that the comment was over the top and wish casey would give it a rest. But FWIW, I feel that Carroll's hyperbole regarding Lysacek working harder (how is this even measured?)/suffering more than everyone else in skating has kind of gotten old, too. Both Plushenko and Takahashi (and Lambiel and maybe even Chan, for that matter) had dealt with more serious injuries prior to the 2010 Olympics. Lysacek has had his share of injuries, but he's not the only one, and I am fairly certain that other skaters have had it worse.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  23. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

What is Evan Lysacek's injury, exactly?
    I think one of the worse injuries prior to the Olympics was the rupture of the Achilles tendon by Hongbo Zhao

24. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I'd say Takahashi's torn ACL that he suffered in late 2008 ranks right up there, too; it certainly affected him during the Olympic season, and probably afterward as well.

25. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Good to see that Frank's hype machine hasn't weakened with age:

26. misskarne

misskarne #408

He has GOT to be joking, right?!

Why, just a few days ago, video circulated of Plushenko doing quads again after having disc replacement surgery, and whatever is "wrong" with Lysacek this time, I doubt it is on that scale!

27. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

True, and Max Aaron broke his freaking back and came back, Alissa Czisny is coming back from a labral tear which required 2 surgeries to fix, Yasmin Siraj has injured just about every part of her body at one point or another and is back to skating well, Josh Farris came back from a sliced calf muscle and broken ankle quickly in the middle of his major growth spurt, Rachael Flatt competed, decently, on a broken fibula and has suffered from bulging disks for several years now, Yuna Kim had a serious back injury for most of her career, etc. He's hardly the first athlete to come back after suffering a serious injury. Not to say that his injury wasn't serious, it was, but so were all those sustained by the athletes I just mentioned. Erm.

28. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

29. my little pony

but then he cant say no one has ever worked harder

30. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Well, I think it's okay to say, no one works harder than Evan Lysacek. What is not really okay to say is, "Evan Lysacek works harder than anyone else." Because, I think a lot of athletes work AS HARD as Evan, but if Evan is working to the maximum of his abilities, then it means that Evan personally can't work any harder than he already is, which is fine, I'd believe it. But to assume that other athletes aren't working to the maximum of their own abilities comes off as foolish and misguided, because there is no real way for Frank to know how hard athletes he doesn't work with are working.