For Evan Lysacek, countdown to Sochi Games is on

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

One would think so, but he was never actually as consistent as he has sometimes been made out to be. For example, he was third at Nationals in 2009, the year he won his World title. If he finishes third at Nationals this year, he may very well be left off the Olympic Team, especially if the National Silver Medalist is Max Aaron or someone else who has an outstanding season on the Grand Prix.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

In those days USA had three slots for men and it was not necessary for Evan to waste his best performance at US Nationals. I mean the way Jeremy Abbott has done and not stood on the podium at Worlds or Olympics....

3. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Evan debut his new short program last night at Sun Valley on Ice. Great program to Black Swan.

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

That's great news!
    Here's hoping that video will appear.

5. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

WOW, what a fantastic choice!!! Hoping for a videoclip....

6. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Needless to say, any details on elements, jump content, etc.?

A video surfacing wouldn't be surprising when you consider his name recognition. Someone was bound to be in the audience with a camera.

7. princessomega

princessomega New Member

im hoping a bit of video surfaces also.
    im very much looking forward to seeing how hes skating these days!

8. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Is Evan now "THE SWAN!!!" ... that he once mocked Johnny Weir for being? :lol:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I guess he'll wear black? ;)

10. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

11. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Oh, no, but Evan's swan is a masculine Russian Tchaikovsky swan, whereas Johnny's was a namby-pamby Saint-Seans French swan. :p

12. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just been a while since I've seen Evan skate, but there is something about his skating that looks smoother now. Esp the fw seq he was practicing looked less jerky to me and more strong and controlled. Of course, the million dollar question is how are his jumps.

I was never a big Evan fan, but I find myself hoping his comeback is for real.

13. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I don't see the point in Evan going for Olys with no practice competitions and coming down to the wire. It's Sasha 2.0. You can't just show up the season of and expect to be amazing.

:oksana1::oksana1::oksana1: A bit tired of skaters doing swan programs... :yawn:

14. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Sasha didn't even have any competitions before she went to Nationals in 2010. Evan will be at the US Senior B in September and SA so he won't be rusty as Sasha was.

15. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

indeed this was sad to see; if this skate (at nationals) would have been sashas first skate in the season at a grand prix, there would have been place for getting secure and lay down that kind of nerviness she was showing until nationals. evan is doing well in taking part in competitions before. although i believe it first, when he hits the ice :D

16. bardtoob

So Evan is now a Russophil Swan, like Johnny? :lol:

"THE SWAN!!!"

17. ciocio

ciocio New Member

No!!! Not the Swan! :wideeyes:

18. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Oh, was Wagner considered a Russophil Swan like Weir?

19. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Evan started preparation much earlier than Sasha. I would say he is a lock unless injured.

20. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

The only way it can get worse is to do a Carmen Swan...A Swarmen :lol:

21. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

22. bardtoob

Maybe :sekret:

23. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Lysacek will surely make great history if he can defend his title and I don't think it's impossible given he's a very driven and consistent skater. Would be interesting if history repeats itself ie. gold to Lysacek and silver to Plushenko. In this instance, I will give the chance to Lysacek since his injury is less severe than Plushenko's. Battle of the Olympic gold titans! That itself will surely sell many tickets. Imagine three OGM medallists fighting for the podium. :respec: Yuna has a very good chance of defending her title too given what we saw recently.

24. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Part of what i like about the Olympics is since it's every 4 years usually you have new teams and skaters come every Olympics. But this Olympics seems to have more Olympic champions and medalists coming back then i can remember. Not sure if i like that.

25. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    Tell that to Dick Button, Katarina Witt, Carol Heiss, etc.

26. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Couple of other articles:

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/23/evan-lysacek-figure-skating-comeback/

http://msn.foxsports.com/ice_skatin...chi-to-defend-his-figure-skating-title-072413

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/out-of...mes-lysacek-to-defend-gold-in-sochi-1.1381906

And I'm truly shocked and surprised that there are no comments on any of the articles from our own caseyedwards lamenting Evan's 2010 victory and how it was inappropriate because he was "quad-less." Casey, you are slipping...:p:p:p

27. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

The NBC article is unique but all the other links are the ap article which has in it the idea of upgrading to quads. The articles are different. The writers are saying quads will be necessary and not lysacek was complete and did everything like all the articles from after 2010.

28. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

29. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

Thanks SkateFan. He is quite handsome, and I'm personally looking forward to seeing him on the ice again and seeing how his skating has developed since 2010.

30. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Tweeted by @EvanLysacek today:
    "So tired... Is it really only Wednesday. Working overtime on a new Freeskate for this season. Music announcement coming soon."

His FS that he never competed last season was "Samson and Delilah" by Camille Saint-Saens - now replaced by "TBA" in his Team USA bio: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100081&mode=I

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013