For Evan Lysacek, countdown to Sochi Games is on

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 5, 2013.

1. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

After what happened in 2011, I'd say USFS is Lucy pulling the football from Evan.

2. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

Skateindreams (cool name), I did that because he has done it the past 2 years. Also, he is going to need a quad in the short and one or 2 in the fs to be in the top 6. He has nowhere near the artistry that Jeremy has, and Max Aaron is a jumping machine. Unless I hear about people seeing him practice and are reporting back to anywhere, he is taking experience, a GP spot and points away from another American skater.
    Skating is going to be hurting here in the US if USFS doesn't start to get the new skaters out there. Talk about lack of coverage after the Olympics. It will be next to nothing.

3. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I wish Evan the best of luck; regardless of what anyone thinks of his chances, he wants to try and go for it, and there's nothing wrong with that. He may fail, he may succeed, he may change his mind, but he's doing it on his own terms.

And caseyedwards, congratulations for not breaking your record of "quad-whining" in the comments following every Evan Lysacek article. The first thing I did after reading the USAToday article was look to see if there were any comments, and as soon as I saw there was one, I knew it would be you. Thanks much, I personally enjoy knowing how much your knickers get bunched up thinking about Evan Lysacek skating again. Hope the painkillers were handy when you wrote that... :p:EVILLE:

4. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Agreed but haterz gonna hate.

I don't think he's going to make it to Sochi but I'd love for Evan to prove me wrong.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

He can skate all he wants but said something stupid and ignorant that implied programs with quads can't be clean! What an idiot!

6. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

The idiot in this thread isn't Evan.

7. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Any you, of course, quoted only a select part of what he said to fit your purpose, not the full statement: "It's such a glamorous thing to talk about since it's such a dangerous trick and it's taken our sport to a new level, but a clean program is what skating is about. My focus is on getting that quad in but also doing a clean program and not losing any points along the way." You conveniently left out the rest. He never implied that programs with quads can't be clean nor did he discount the quad as not valuable. As usual, you're twisting the story to fit your Evan-hating, quad-obsessed fury.

Evan won the OGM fair and square in 2010 whether you agree with it or not. My philosophy on the race for the Men's gold in Sochi is may the best man win, but I swear, I'd LOVE to see Evan compete and maybe even medal again just to make you as miserable as possible. For the way you've chased down every statement he has made since Vancouver to slam him for winning without the quad, you'd deserve it. Agree about Evan definitely not being the "idiot" in this thread...

8. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

The way I see it, Hanyu missed the 2013 Worlds podium because of how he skated his short program rather than his long. He scored by some 20 points lower than his season best score of 95+ points.

Evan's haters please don't kill me for really enjoying Evan's footwork section here. The whole program is very well constructed in my opinion and his body movement looks improved.:slinkaway

9. caseyedwards

The threads about an idiot.

10. caseyedwards

Both of his statements are clear and stand by themselves. If he competes and medals with a quad in sp and lp it Shows how skating has changed for the better!!!

11. Sasha'sSpins

ITA. ;)

I could care less what Evan's haterz think. His footwork's great! I really love his long, elegant lines. :D

12. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Why don't the "haters" create a thread where they can "bash" if they must; and allow those of us who wish to support Evan - and other competitors - to do so.

13. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

you know, it shouldn't bug me that a less-gifted but really hardworking skater has accomplished as much as he does--it's really admirable--but for some reason he bugs the crap out of me. Sorry. Anyway--he looked pretty crisp and sharp on Today but he has nowhere near Lambiel's flair or range of movement (compare Lambiel's Poeta LP from 2007), and he looks a bit stiff.

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Lysacek has nerves of steel and isn't cowed by anyone. That has never been Abbott's strength. I would bet on a healthy Lysacek over Abbott any time, even if I far prefer Abbott's skating.

Last season, Lysacek withdrew in time for USFS to re-assign the spot. I don't think Lysacek's taking anything away from anyone. He may even sell some tickets to fans willing to take the risk, and I doubt few will not buy tickets because he's scheduled.

15. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

This was one month after he returned to the ice after having surgery to repair a torn abdominal muscle; therefore, it is to be expected that Evan had less range of movement and was not in top form. His performance of Poeta at Sun Valley last year was much better than this performance ...not only was it a longer skate, but it had higher technical content.

Sorry that Evan 'bugs the crap out of you.' I have always admired his work ethic. Having met him several times, I can say that he was always kind and gracious.

16. caseyedwards

There is a thread where people can be Lala for Lysacek but this is a news thread?

17. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I'm pretty sure lala is a Plushy fan. ;)

I really hope Evan's body holds up and that we'll see him on the circuit this season. Love him or hate him, he's a fierce competitor and always gives his all to a performance.

18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

News threads shouldn't be full of thinly disguised "disrespect" for any competitor.

19. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I'm neither an Evan hater or uber, I just think that the road to Sochi and another Olympic medal is going to be very difficult. And a huge risk. If Evan had been competing and winning World and Grand Prix gold medals, I don't think that it would be unreasonable for him to seek another title.

but he has not been competing, nor winning any medals, since 2010. Chan has been competing and winning most every competition since 2010. I would think that Evan would much rather end his competitive career as an Olympic Gold Medalist vs. the 2010 OGMedalist who did not finish in the medal contention in 2014.

Clearly it is not my decision,

20. Fudove

Fudove Member

Agree. But think we may be strung along all summer while he weighs his options.
    I think if you ever saw Evan practice you would be impression with his determination and focus. I am not a fan of his style. I like a more lyrical style like Johnson's LP but you cannot walk away from watching him practice without being impress.

21. numbers123

I've seen him since he was a novice skater. I've seen some of that fire, I just don't think that determination and focus can overcome the past years of not competing. I also thought that the last years of competing he was trying to be Plushy with his arms/footwork and that the CoP has moved a bit beyond that.

22. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

The fact that he already has an OGM, he will feel less pressure to win another OGM. So long he medals, it will be an achievement.

23. numbers123

I guess that is where we will disagree - the fact that he already has an OGM, anything less than an OGM is a step down. I think that it will be a very difficult thing to get on the podium - in my opinion he will have a difficult time doing that. I'd love to be proven wrong

24. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I think Evan knows all that which is why I would surprised if he even shows up. I think this whole "comeback" is a way of keeping his name in the news until it fades into relative obscurity for good after the Sochi Olympics. Not that I blame him for that, he might as well milk his last 15 minutes and every cent he can get out of it.

25. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I don't mind 'fading into relative obscurity' with a string of world and olympic medals under my belt? How many obscured people can boast of world class medals in their cupboard?

26. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I hope Evan competes at the Olympics, but I'll still be surprised if he shows up at Nationals!

27. Sasha'sSpins

But that would be no fun for them! And then there are the ones who are just born to troll! :D

28. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

If he competes at Nationals, I will eat my hat and have Alexei Urmanov's gloves for dessert. That is all.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  29. misskarne

misskarne #408

Heh, tell that to Plushenko.

30. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I wish Evan all the best as he tries to "come back" to competition. I admire his hard work ethic but I suspect that should he stay in skating til Sochi, he will not be on the podium and may even find himself a bit sad with his results. I truly believe that his time of being competitive for a GP/Olympic/Worlds medal has passed.

IIRC, I don't think Evan has landed much in the way of even a single quad in competition. I really believe that a quad in the short and at least 2, with one in combination, are going to be needed in the free. I just don't think Evan has it in him to either get those quads competition ready, nor have enough of a base value that going clean and maxing out his PCS would put him on the podium. I think there are just too many men who have passed him in TES. Given that PCS seems to follow how well you did in TES, Evan would have a lot to make up if he doesn't have quads in his programs.

That being said, if this is truly what he wants to do, then he should go for it. If he doesn't make it out of his own Nationals (which I think *could* happen), he may need to take a few steps backward and re-evaluate what he really wants out of life in general, and skating in particular.