For Evan Lysacek, countdown to Sochi Games is on

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

USA Today article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...evan-lysacek-coundown-sochi-olympics/2390365/
    Excerpts:
  2. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Wishing him the best; and that he will be able to perform as well as he hopes.
    eta: He doesn't deserve the reaction in the post, above.
    snoopysnake and (deleted member) like this.
  4. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Glad to read that his recovery is going well. Looking forward to seeing him compete this season.
  5. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

He talks like it's impossible to be clean with a quad! It's a disgrace.
  6. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Maybe he thinks it's impossible FOR HIM to be clean with a quad attempt; sounds like consistency of landing it is a problem for him.
  7. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Active Member

It's such a glamorous thing to talk about since it's such a dangerous trick and it's taken our sport to a new level, but a clean program is what skating is about. My focus is on getting that quad in but also doing a clean program and not losing any points along the way."

Good luck, Evan. That worked out real well for Denis Ten last year. ;)
  8. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Evan stated three areas that he was focusing on: quad, skate clean, not lose points. At 2013 Worlds, Denis did a great job on the first two areas (quad, skate clean); however, when he doubled intended triple jumps, he lost valuable points (area three).
  9. dardar1126

Maybe it's just semantics, but it seems kind of telling that he refers to the quad as "a dangerous trick" instead of "jump." Seems like he's kind of dismissing the quad as being less important or worthy than other jumps...like it's just a stunt or trick, and therefore less valid somehow.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  10. Capella

Capella Guest

I can't shake the image that USFS is Charlie Brown and Evan is Lucy holding the football.
    jamesy, flutzilla1, tlk and 7 others like this.
  11. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

If Sochi works out for Evan the way things worked out for Ten last year (i.e., a silver), Evan will be doing a lot better than most people expect, IMO.
  12. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I completely disagree. Evan's words seem to indicate how difficult he considers the jump to be. He explains that, as a result of the quad, the sport is at a new level. How does that invalidate the importance of the quad?

Evan always seemed to be of the opinion that a clean, well-executed program with a full complement of jumps (save the quad) and high level elements could be competitive. He proved that at the 2010 Olympics. Now, Evan seems to be acknowledging that the quad has changed the game a bit, but still places importance on what he always has. Can Evan do well without the quad assuming he skates an otherwise flawless program with difficult elements? Who knows, but that seems to be his plan if he can't get a consistent quad.

O-
    SkateFan66 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. dardar1126

Evan is a name known outside of the skating world due to his Olympic gold medal and appearance on DWTS. He can bring a level of publicity or "glamour" that a relative unknown like Max Aaron or even a veteran like Jeremy Abbott cannot.
  14. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Evan has frequently referred to jumps, including the quad, as tricks. ;)
  15. dardar1126

Thanks; I didn't know that.
  16. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

A few years ago, I believe it was 2008, Evan was all quad, quad, quad and now that he discovered how hard it is to maintain a quad, he's changed his tune. IMO.
    Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

And lost the world tittle
  18. caseyedwards

"It's such a glamorous thing to talk about since it's such a dangerous trick and it's taken our sport to a new level, but a clean program is what skating is about."

Who said you can't be clean with a quad? Skaters do it every season! No clean without quad is pretty worthless even if it gets you Gold!! Clean really is nothing. You can be clean with all doubles? So what?
  19. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I think Lysacek is capable of winning another medal. It will be interesting to see another showdown between the two OGMs - Plushenko and Lysacek, and this time in the home country of Plushenko.
  20. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I think that given Chan's dominance in the last years, Evan's lack of competing, Plushy's age and injuries, it will be very hard for either Evan or Plushy to win an Olympic gold or even an Olympic medal of any color.
    Finnice and (deleted member) like this.
  21. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

^^ S&Z came back with a vengence. Plushenko almost did in Vancouver. Why not Lysacek? Afterall, the podium is up for grabs although we can name a handful who may have a better chance of winning any medals.
  22. vodkashot

vodkashot New Member

Maybe because the men's field is currently much deeper than the pairs field around 2009-2010? All S/Z really had to do in 2010 was to beat Savchenko/Szolkowy to win the OGM. When Savchenko/Szolkowy started falling apart and skating poorly even before the Olympics began and S/Z pretty much won everything leading up to the Olympics, the OGM was basically S/Z's to lose. S/Z as the #1 Chinese pair were guaranteed to beat P/T and Z/Z as long as they skated decently. Other teams like K/S, M/T and D/D had zero chance of beating S/Z. On the other hand, Lysacek at the very least has to beat at least two of Chan, Fernandez, Hanyu and Takahashi in order to have a chance at the podium, and all four of them have displayed a level of skating much higher than Lysacek has ever accomplished.

That said, it's possible that Chan, Fernandez, Hanyu and Takahashi can all bomb and Lysacek can make the podium by skating clean. Even so, with the rule changes after the Vancouver Olympics (which, most notably, increased the value of quads) it's still going to be difficult for Lysacek to beat Chan, Fernandez, Hanyu and Takahashi even if they make mistakes. It's just laughable to compare S/Z's situation in 2010 to Lysacek in Sochi.
  23. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I personally thought that Evan was given a gift, had an unusual season for him and scored big. S&Z were more committed to the sport, IMO than Evan seems to be. Plushy is getting older. S&Z left because of injury but started competing as soon as possible, I think that Evan has been playing more than committing more.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Truthfully, I think S/Z and Plushenko in 2010 were better skaters/competitors than Lysacek is likely to be now. The field is also realistically broader now than it was in 2010 for men/pairs.
  25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Lysacek will have to wait until at least 2022 for there to be an Olympics in his home country ;)
  26. dots

dots Well-Known Member

The only guy who is guaranteed a medal after a not so clean program is Patrick Chan. Barring any disaster, I'm talking two or three falls per program, he'll win Olympic gold. Who is naive enough to bet against him?

A *clean* Evan Lysacek could possibly take home a medal, only that the same could be said for Fernandez, Takahashi, and Ten. IMO silver and bronze are between those four.

Hanyu is to lethargic and inconsistent at this moment to even enter the picture.

Plushenko's body has given all it could. I don't see him even making it to the Olympics.

In a perfect world Abbott would be contending for a medal, but he won't even make it out of nationals let alone go to the Olympics :slinkaway
  27. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Eh, not for me. I am much more excited about seeing skaters like Kozuka, Takahashi, Shibutanis, & Davis & White.

Also, if it's his 11th week back on the ice, that means he would not have started skating again until around mid-March. Was he seriously intimating he'd make Nationals, even with the hernia? I can't remember.
  28. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

1. The way Chan is going right now he is far from a lock for OGM. Of the 4 gold medal favorites in the 4 disciplines he is by FAR the least likely to win.

2. Plushenko in Russia and Hanyu are most certainly medal contenders, and have WAY more chance of a medal than Lysacek does at his point.
  29. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

It may be his 11th week back on ice full time, or he may have taken a break and resumed training 11 weeks ago. He was off ice after the November surgery until three weeks before Nationals. Lysacek skated on the Today show on February 6, 2013: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn-qErnY87Q
  30. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Unless Hanyu suddenly develops some stamina in the LP he might have trouble getting on the podium.
  31. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

After what happened in 2011, I'd say USFS is Lucy pulling the football from Evan.
  32. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

Skateindreams (cool name), I did that because he has done it the past 2 years. Also, he is going to need a quad in the short and one or 2 in the fs to be in the top 6. He has nowhere near the artistry that Jeremy has, and Max Aaron is a jumping machine. Unless I hear about people seeing him practice and are reporting back to anywhere, he is taking experience, a GP spot and points away from another American skater.
    Skating is going to be hurting here in the US if USFS doesn't start to get the new skaters out there. Talk about lack of coverage after the Olympics. It will be next to nothing.
  33. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I wish Evan the best of luck; regardless of what anyone thinks of his chances, he wants to try and go for it, and there's nothing wrong with that. He may fail, he may succeed, he may change his mind, but he's doing it on his own terms.

And caseyedwards, congratulations for not breaking your record of "quad-whining" in the comments following every Evan Lysacek article. The first thing I did after reading the USAToday article was look to see if there were any comments, and as soon as I saw there was one, I knew it would be you. Thanks much, I personally enjoy knowing how much your knickers get bunched up thinking about Evan Lysacek skating again. Hope the painkillers were handy when you wrote that... :p:EVILLE:
  34. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Agreed but haterz gonna hate.

I don't think he's going to make it to Sochi but I'd love for Evan to prove me wrong.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  35. caseyedwards

He can skate all he wants but said something stupid and ignorant that implied programs with quads can't be clean! What an idiot!
  36. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

The idiot in this thread isn't Evan.
  37. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Any you, of course, quoted only a select part of what he said to fit your purpose, not the full statement: "It's such a glamorous thing to talk about since it's such a dangerous trick and it's taken our sport to a new level, but a clean program is what skating is about. My focus is on getting that quad in but also doing a clean program and not losing any points along the way." You conveniently left out the rest. He never implied that programs with quads can't be clean nor did he discount the quad as not valuable. As usual, you're twisting the story to fit your Evan-hating, quad-obsessed fury.

Evan won the OGM fair and square in 2010 whether you agree with it or not. My philosophy on the race for the Men's gold in Sochi is may the best man win, but I swear, I'd LOVE to see Evan compete and maybe even medal again just to make you as miserable as possible. For the way you've chased down every statement he has made since Vancouver to slam him for winning without the quad, you'd deserve it. Agree about Evan definitely not being the "idiot" in this thread...
  38. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

The way I see it, Hanyu missed the 2013 Worlds podium because of how he skated his short program rather than his long. He scored by some 20 points lower than his season best score of 95+ points.

Evan's haters please don't kill me for really enjoying Evan's footwork section here. The whole program is very well constructed in my opinion and his body movement looks improved.:slinkaway
  39. caseyedwards

The threads about an idiot.
  40. caseyedwards

Both of his statements are clear and stand by themselves. If he competes and medals with a quad in sp and lp it Shows how skating has changed for the better!!!