For all things Fútbol...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Buzz, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

2. Orable

Orable New Member

I can't believe it - why would someone like Ochoa ruin his career just for drugs? Or was he never really that talented & promising, and all this time we were hoodwinked by his drug use? Grrrrrrr :mad:

3. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Well....sometimes you hate to be right, but the USA's 2-1 loss to Panama was easily predicted, right NJL??? ;)

4. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Sadly, yes. Overall an unacceptable result anyway you look at it. Panama was/is under-rated and the USA is most emphatically over rated. I felt that at least one of the 3 teams in this group was going to bite our butt. I thought it might be Canada because of the revenge factor from 2007. Instead it was Panama, a team that has played us very well in the past. Now the USA plays a team that could give us another shock. Bob B had better have 'em ready for this one or we'll suffer a huge humiliation. And he could/should be job hunting soon after....:(

5. NeilJLeonard

Canada ties 1-1 against Panama and Panama wins group. Canada held 1-0 lead until 90+ when Panama tied match to get 1 point to clinch group lead. Canada needed USA loss to advance.

USA finishes 2nd with 1-0 win over Guadeloupe. USA scored in 9th minute on a 25 yard bullet by Jozy Altidore. They dominated game until the end, but some desperate defending by Guadeloupe coupled with a few more misses by the USA kept the game close until the end.

Panama & USA advance to quarters. Canada & Guadeloupe eliminated.

USA to play a very much in form group winner Jamaica next.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  6. KHenry14

What a joke today's game was. The worst finishing that I've ever seen, and it wasn't just Dempsey's collosal failures, Donovan, Wondo also chipped in with shots from 6 yards out that went over the bar...

The USA should have won 6-0 against a weak side like Guadeloupe. Yet instead, we got a flurry of blown opportunities, plus some weak passing in the midfiled. Only Jones, Lichaj, and Cherundolo had decent games.

Even with that said, Jozy's goal was a thing of beauty! ;)

7. NeilJLeonard

A stunning goal if you consider how out of form he's been and how difficult goals have come for him over the last year.

BTW, don't discount the Guadeloupe keeper's efforts. He stopped several sure goals from Dempsey, Wondo, et al, but you are correct, the score still should have been at least 4-0.

The changes in the back 4 should have been the starting 4 for the 1st 2 games, IMO. They looked much more solid, plus the 2 outside backs were very involved in the attack. It's quite possible we'd be in 1st place w/9 points if they had been our starting back line. I hope they continue as the starting 4, too. Jamaica has a 7-0 scoring composite over 3 games. The USA's is 4-2.... (Mexico's is 14-1 & Mr Javier Hernandez leads the tournament w/5 goals, 1 more than the USA's team total ....no wonder Man U loves him...;)...).

NJL (...This thread is beginning to read like a USA thread on BigSoccer ...:D...)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  8. KHenry14

This is way less crazy than those guys at Big Soccer!

9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Well it is the off season for most pro leagues so....

10. NeilJLeonard

True. The venom & insane hatred are lacking....:lol:

Interesting comment on ESPN last light about Bob B being replaced if the USA did not beat Guadeloupe. They claimed that the 1-0 win saved his job. It was also said that this is the same deal for Bradley when they play Jamaica in the quarters. Win or adios. We'll see what happens @ 3PM on Fox Soccer & Telefutura in the US.

NJL (...please stand by for future updates..;)...)

11. NeilJLeonard

USA 2 v 0 Jamaica.....:wideeyes:

USA played it's best game of the Cup by far. The 2 goals scored are the 1st 2 goals against Jamaica in the Gold up. A different line up, w/o Landon Donovan starting, and a different formation (4-2-3-1) seemed to confuse the Jamaicans for most of the match. Also, a rather interesting red card against them in the 2nd half didn't help their cause much either.

Semi-finals are on Wednesday in Houston with the USA v Panama & Mexico v Honduras. Who knows? Maybe we'll see that USA v Mexico final after all. Or not, if the USA plays Panama the same way they did in the 2 teams 1st meeting in the Gold Cup.

NJL (...we'll see.....please stand by for more on Thursday AM....:cool:...)

12. KHenry14

Certainly a better all around performance by the USA. We finally saw the promise of Jermaine Jones come to fruition in an excellent performance by him. Michael Bradley has found a partner for the next cycle to be sure.

I also liked the play of Alejandro Bedoya, who was lucky to be in the mix since he wasn't even selected by Bob to make the squad, but when Feilheiber went down, Bedoya got the spot and has taken advantage of it.

Sacha Kljestan was once again a problem in our midfield, why he keeps getting called up to the squad is a mystery to me. He had numerous opportunities to make the final pass to an open striker and missed every time. We have too many decent midfielders on the roster to give him these opportunities. I daresay that Freddy Adu would have been better than Sacha was.

One last thing, I'm glad the USA got to see how good Donovan Ricketts is. We Galaxy fans already knew that he's an excellent Keeper, now Concacaf knows too!:D

13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Congrats to the USA and I actually did see part of that match. It would have been nice to see Jamaica advance but congratulations to the USA on a well deserved win.

14. NeilJLeonard

Adu is not the answer. BB has other options he could have used. I expect much the same line-up for Panama, but w/Donovan starting. Drop Kljestan & keep Bedoya and, IMO, we have have a winning 11 on the field.

NJL (..we'll see... to go to another sport and a different time, "just win, baby!"...;)...)

15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Meanwhile the UEFA U-21 is also going on and Spain will play Belarus while Czech Republic will play Switzerland today. Can't believe Belarus is in the Semi-finals but good luck to them. For such a small country win would mean a lot.

16. KHenry14

Well, the USA got a bit of revenge today, scratching out a 1-0 victory over Panama. And good ol' Freddy Adu made a great pass to Donovan who fed a streaking Dempsey for the score.

Freddy still has moments of brilliance with the ball at his feet, but he also still makes the occaisional bonehead play. Which makes it all the more frustrating to watch him. You just know that there could be an exceptional player in there if he could only get his head on straight.

17. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Woop! It looks like it's going to be Mexico vs USA! :cheer:

18. NeilJLeonard

Pleased with the outcome and mildly surprised considering the way the USA started this competition. However, if you remember how they started the 2009 Confederations Cup & how they survived to make the final in South Africa perhaps they are just being true to form.

I am shocked that Adu got onto the pitch. He's done nothing since he left MLS. I am pleased that he made the most of it & did something positive with his opportunity. Good for him...:)

I am not shocked that the USA made the final, but I am a bit surprised. See above. I'd have been surprised, and shocked, if Mexico had not made it to the final. Considering their form throughout and the USA's form now it should be a pretty good final. I doubt that Mexico will win 5-0 like they did in 2009....:puke:

ETA: That said, I see Mexico winning the Cup by 2-1 or 2-0. They are at least that much better than the USA right now....:(

Now I have a decision to make. Gold Cup final at 9PM Saturday is very close to the time the Strikers, starting at 730PM at Lockhart Stadium, should be finishing their match. Should I choose the Cup over the Strikers? Or vice versa? Considering the start times, and the fact that I've missed their last 2 home games, I'll see the Strikers to completion, then rush home to catch the 2nd half of the final. Best I can do under the circumstances...:cool:

NJL

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

20. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Or walk with your iPad etc and watch the final online while watching your home team's game. LOL :hat1:

21. NeilJLeonard

No need. It has been posted that TV's and such will be brought to Lockhart Stadium by several Striker fans. I'll find the ones in Sec 115, where the fan clubs are, and watch there.

NJL

22. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Who ever said you cannot have your cake and eat it too eh?! ;) hehehe I will be at work for the final match but there is a tv set so I hope to catch as much of the game as possible. Should be a great match. :cheer2:

23. NeilJLeonard

On further review.....I watched FSC's replay of the USA v Panama last night. I'm not really not that impressed, especially with the USA's play in the middle of the 2nd half. Mexico may actually get a pretty big win tonight. We'll see. BTW, 50% - 60% chance of rain today. I am taking my poncho with me tonight....:(

NJL (...the tropics have returned to SoFL this week....hopefully this will break the drought we've been having...it's the worst recorded in the last 80 years...:eek:...)

24. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

:cheer: Mexico :cheer:

25. NeilJLeonard

Mexico sucks....:mad:

But, they deserve credit. After falling behind 0-2 they scored 4 straight goals to win the Cup 2-4. They did prove that they are the best team in CONCACAF, convincingly so. My congrats to them (but it does not mean I have to like it, or them...;)...).

The U-17 WC squad of a few cycles ago provide the Mexicans with a depth of talent that the USA simply can't match. Worse, the Mexicans current U-17 squad is performing at somewhat the same level as that WC Championship team. They should be deeper and more talented in the future. Expect as many as 4 more successive Gold Cup Championships from them in the future...:(...They look to be that good. The USA simply can't match them in player development. Neither can anyone else in CONCACAF.

NJL

26. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Cangratulations to Mexico and to Spain for winning the U-21 UEFA crown. Watched both matches and could not believe Mexico could come back like that. Now I guess on to the Women's WC but I am honestly not quiet into that as I am into the men's game.

27. NeilJLeonard

Team USA is ranked #1 in the world on the woman's side. They are over rated. Both Mexico & England defeated them recently, and the USA had to back into the WWC as the last team to qualify. They also have a pretty decent group in Group play. I hope they can advance, but, on their current form, I'd not be surprised if they didn't.

I expect Germany to win their 3rd WWC in a row. Brazil could take their measure & win their 1st. After those 2 it is a toss up. Pick any other of the 16 teams and you could be right...;)

NJL

28. NeilJLeonard

Germany 2 v 1 Canada.

Canada fought the good fight & scored the 1st goal against Germany since the 2003 WWC! Good effort by the Canucks against a team that is convinced that they'll win this one! They probably will. Maybe...;)

NJL

29. alexikeguchi

alexikeguchi Active Member

I remember that U17 final and how impressive Dos Santos and Vela were against the likes of Brazil. I really like Mexico's chances in the lead up to 2014. Plus, they are very enjoyable to watch. Their movement is so fluid, and that last goal by Dos Santos was just perfection and a thing of beauty. It's too bad for the US because other than some defensive miscues after Cherundolo went out, I think that was actually their best game. It's really sad that the US has so little depth that the loss of one starter can have such an impact. My sons have played club and ODP soccer in Oklahoma for a few years, and I have to say that our development system is horrible. There is too much emphasis at a young age on winning rather than improving individual skill, and it's ridiculous how expensive a sport that only requires shoes, a ball, and an open space can be. We have a large Mexican-American population here, and most of those kids just play in small sided indoor leagues because they don't have the money for all the travel and fees. As far as I can tell, no one ever scouts those matches, and we are definitely excluding some big talent by just considering the affluent, suburban Anglo kids who are mainly targeting an athletic scholarship rather than a professional career. Hopefully, the new Development Academy approach will bear fruit, but it's going to take some time. Until then, we will have to get used to some butt-kickings like last night.

oleada and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

Convinced that they'll win this one? I have read that they want to win this one, but also rather balanced articles about the other strong teams.